LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
Beating a dead horse here but Frieren is ridiculously good.

Every episode I'm like yo I really love this shyt.

Only issue with this arc is no Stark.
Yeah Stark is getting 0 shine or development right now but I'm not surprised. Just look at the opening and ending, it's focused on Frieren and Fern and he's a 3rd wheel.

Even so, I'd agree that's the only negative.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Ubel is a dope character. She was not the one I expected to body two first-class mages inside of one episode's run time. I'm kinda sad we didn't get to see more of Denken's replica, but all the action we did get was incredible.

Frieren's power is CRAZY. Which makes the title of the next episode really interesting for me. If the skillset decides the winner, I wonder what kind of mage would give her the most trouble. I wish we could get a flashback to one of her L's.

One last question, the last line of the episode was "who are you?" And someone was being carried out of the dungeon that I couldn't make out (it wasn't Richter or ice girl because they were already being healed up). Who was that?

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I really liked what this arc in Frieren introduced to the world. I like shows when it's not a power level battle and when they add some unpredictability due to styles make fights. I feel some shows lose that element and end up hurting themselves in the long run. I know this isn't an action heavy show, but the action scenes always hit and some of the best stuff you see in anime. I am shocked that Lawine had to use the golem and only Kanne passed the test. I wasn't expecting that to happen. Also, shocked Richter didn't pass. I guess it makes sense because based on what we've seen it seems only a handful of the mages left are capable of passing the exam imo.

Also, the end of the battle was special and the move that Frieren did must've been special due to implying she had to use it on Demon King. . Happy for Fern because this test really highlight how strong she is, but damn they better repair that staff because I believe Heiter gave it to her.

I liked what they did with Ubel and give us more into her backstory. I think my only worry if her method to her madness is too op, but I think the show is clever enough not to fall into any traps with that character

Lastly, why did the subtitles make it seem like they all passed the exam, but then quickly remembered theirs 3 tests.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Beating a dead horse here but Frieren is ridiculously good.

Every episode I'm like yo I really love this shyt.

Only issue with this arc is no Stark.
It needs to be preached. Even us manga readers are in awe week after week :wow:. Imagine experiencing this for the first time :whew:.

But anime brehs gotta be patient. The series goes on hiatus a good amount. After next chapter it's take a month break.

Yeah Stark is getting 0 shine or development right now but I'm not surprised. Just look at the opening and ending, it's focused on Frieren and Fern and he's a 3rd wheel.

Even so, I'd agree that's the only negative.
It's kind of hard to do something with Stark since this is a mage exam. Stark has shined and will continue to have more moments to shine.

I think that one post credits scene with Stark drinking juice at the bar perfectly summed up how it is for him now. He has so much free time he probably doesn't know how to spend it outside of helping the community and training.
Ubel is a dope character. She was not the one I expected to body two first-class mages inside of one episode's run time. I'm kinda sad we didn't get to see more of Denken's replica, but all the action we did get was incredible.

Frieren's power is CRAZY. Which makes the title of the next episode really interesting for me. If the skillset decides the winner, I wonder what kind of mage would give her the most trouble. I wish we could get a flashback to one of her L's.

One last question, the last line of the episode was "who are you?" And someone was being carried out of the dungeon that I couldn't make out (it wasn't Richter or ice girl because they were already being healed up). Who was that?

There was this one dude that looked at Denken like he was crazy for them to work together. I think that's who you are referring to.

I really liked what this arc in Frieren introduced to the world. I like shows when it's not a power level battle and when they add some unpredictability due to styles make fights. I feel some shows lose that element and end up hurting themselves in the long run. I know this isn't an action heavy show, but the action scenes always hit and some of the best stuff you see in anime. I am shocked that Lawine had to use the golem and only Kanne passed the test. I wasn't expecting that to happen. Also, shocked Richter didn't pass. I guess it makes sense because based on what we've seen it seems only a handful of the mages left are capable of passing the exam imo.

Also, the end of the battle was special and the move that Frieren did must've been special due to implying she had to use it on Demon King. . Happy for Fern because this test really highlight how strong she is, but damn they better repair that staff because I believe Heiter gave it to her.

I liked what they did with Ubel and give us more into her backstory. I think my only worry if her method to her madness is too op, but I think the show is clever enough not to fall into any traps with that character

Lastly, why did the subtitles make it seem like they all passed the exam, but then quickly remembered theirs 3 tests.
More than likely flunky translation since there is 3 parts to the exam. Sense saying all of you that made it passed. Japan is context based language and Sense in JP more than likely implied it was for this part of the exam since she was the proctor for it. Whoever translated didn't take that into account.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I’m finally catching up on Boruto the manga and my god did they nerf everyone. These new powers are insane. All these new characters are just way to powerful. Making Naruto pointless.

Last edited:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Great episode from Undead Unluck. It really has done a great job at understand both Andy and in this episode we dived into Victor's past sort of. We got a fight between Andy and Victor exhibiting the growth of Fuko's unluck. Fuko is truly aware of her own feelings.

Screen_Shot_2024-03-09_at_8.10.31_AM.png

I love how one conversation was all that we need to know about. Victor simply spent 100+ years trying to defeat God and at some point it just became an impossibility. I love the line, "What kind of man wants to see the woman he loves suffering?". His desire to kill Juiz comes from the lesser of two evils. Killing her and putting her to rest is easier to consume then watching her fail and suffer time and time again.

Screen_Shot_2024-03-09_at_8.24.19_AM.png

I love how the passion between Juiz and Fuko. One difference from what I can tell is that Juiz is one of the strongest and smartest individuals in this series. But sometime throughout planning may be enough. You need some luck on your side. Fuko's unluck might be that luck that they need to bring down God.

I can't stress this enough when this show isn't fooling with the unnecessary recaps it's soooooo good. But man the show does shoot itself in the foot.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

@42 Monks @LordDeathwatch @Jmare007

Fern is literally like I fukking give up :unimpressed: :mjlol: :dead:

its dope because the timing is always on point lol

283a8107-481a-498d-8419-7db14ab2df64_text.gif

just earlier, another boss character was on some "this other bytch.... she fukkin crazy :hubie::wow: if we run the 1s, she'd fry my shyt ong"

fern was halfway to the upper room

denken? guessi'lldie

this ain't even an action show i love it :mjlol:

twan83

GOAT FATHER
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas

Just finished this arc and man talk bout psychology battle for bell with physical

Breh said last season in the dungeon was better to deal with than this shyt he went thru literally in the book

The twist in this one can’t wait

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
its dope because the timing is always on point lol

283a8107-481a-498d-8419-7db14ab2df64_text.gif

just earlier, another boss character was on some "this other bytch.... she fukkin crazy :hubie::wow: if we run the 1s, she'd fry my shyt ong"

fern was halfway to the upper room

denken? guessi'lldie

this ain't even an action show i love it :mjlol:
A show with rich with personality, that is well written, has top-notch world building, has none of the bullshyt you see in fantasy anime and has a story that gets you invested and engrosses you. Can't ask for anything more. The quality of the adaptation is just the cherry on top, but holy crap is it amazing.

Yesterday's episode might have been the best action episode I have seen in a good minute. You talk about elevating and expanding fights in the manga that are present on top. And then adding more to the big showdown of Frieren & Fern vs Frieren's replica.

Imo action is only as good as your investment into what is happening on screen. You saw that 2 of the contestants Lawine and Richter got blindsided and failed the exam because of it. In a matter of seconds it was just over for them. We have seen that a few times already. And Lawine in particular is one that the series spent time in the first part of the exam building you up to get you invested. This is a very similar reason why Shibuya is such an amazing action arc. There is consequence that it could mean death as we saw in that arc.

The other thing with action arcs comes when you know the Mc is safe. Like they ain't going to die and there is no real negative consequences of them losing. It becomes straight up predictable and boring. Shangri-La Frontier unlike a lot of action shows doesn't have a heavy penalty of dying because the setting is a fukking VR MMO. And because the penalty of Sunraku dying isn't of major consequence because he just loses equipment and some other stuff. The threat of him losing the fight is real because him dying isn't a game over.

Just finished this arc and man talk bout psychology battle for bell with physical

Breh said last season in the dungeon was better to deal with than this shyt he went thru literally in the book

The twist in this one can’t wait

About to get start reading this once I get through Roshidere, Unnamed Memory and Eminence in Shadow :blessed:

Hold up ain't this arc like 5-8 chapters :dahell:. That's like content they legit get through in that 1 hr special. This is basically a filler season. But that isn't a bad thing. I am interested how much effort they put into it tho :lupe:.