LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
As much as I love both shows (both are by far my top 2 of the year). I need more then 1 season to call either of their anime adaptations a masterpiece. Altho Mushoku will more likely then not have at minimum 3 seasons of support (would be shocked if not). 86 unfortunately I have doubts we will even get a 2nd season.

With that being said there is no questioning either of their original source material.
Exactly. We are not crowning anything as a "Masterpiece" after ONE season.

Now the original medium? No question, we can have that conversation.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I'll never stop saying it

Jobless Reincarnation: Well thought out and fleshed out characters, ideal fantasy setting, great world building,

Nothing happens

Its entertaining as hell! :ohlawd:

and that's CRAZY! They'll have a whole stretch of episodes with no action at all, and it's never, ever boring.

Like..... what would a mushou tensei filler episode even look like? Would we even know the difference? :why:

As someone who has read up to volume 21, I can tell you there's very, very little action. But there is ONE major battle that if it gets animated it will have people losing their collective shyt. Reading the build up to it and it being so damn :whoo: was fukking crazy. Can't even imagine how insane it would be to see it animated with the dedication Bind would give it.

EDIT: The filler part is a very interesting point. The source material does have filler, sometimes it goes for a little too long, but so far the anime has done a masterful job presenting everything that's essential in a really good pace.

My guess is that there will be a season 2, everything points to the show being a hit. And in that scenario, the first cour of that season will be the ultimate test in seeing if they can keep avoiding the filler because there's a lot you can skip without hurting the main plot...but there's A LOT you can milk to the last drop to drag the show longer if needed.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
As someone who has read up to volume 21, I can tell you there's very, very little action. But there is ONE major battle that if it gets animated it will have people losing their collective shyt. Reading the build up to it and it being so damn :whoo: was fukking crazy. Can't even imagine how insane it would be to see it animated with the dedication Bind would give it.
Just getting this far in the series I see it prioritizes characterization over action. These characters aren't Gary Stus and Mary Sues though. Most of them are likable but flawed. In most other light novels the characters are Stus and Sues with God like powers and no real flaws or piddly flaws.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Just getting this far in the series I see it prioritizes characterization over action. These characters aren't Gary Stus and Mary Sues though. Most of them are likable but flawed. In most other light novels the characters are Stus and Sues with God like powers and no real flaws or piddly flaws.

This is the first LN I actually read so I can't comment on the troupes of the genre. I will say that Mushoku Tensei does have a lot of troupes too. The strength of the story is how Rudy's journey is ebbing and flowing and how Rudy is such a compelling protagonist. And when the author wants to move forward with the plot, it's always full steam ahead. To the point of making you welcome the more SOL/filler portions of the story as you need a break from time to time and it's mostly satisfying.