CouldBeWorse

Superstar
Daps
What is y’all stance on dub anime? u watch or na or just depends?
Anime that have western aesthetics are often better in dub like Cowboy Bebop or Kekkai Sensen. Some anime like Space Dandy are even dubbed in English before Japanese. But these are extremely rare occurrences.

imo Funimation is the only consistent dub studio. FMA, Bebop, Dragon Ball are all pretty great. I watch Mob Psycho with subs but from what I've heard the dub sounds good too.

99% of the time I'm sticking with the Japanese dub since even with good dubs, it doesn't always translate well. Like with Japan-specific jokes, euphuisms and sayings that always sound dumb in English:
hey-opp-jujutsu-kaisen.gif

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The problem with Fena is that everything felt rushed. There was no buildup to any of the characters motivation so there was no payoff especially those last 2 episodes. This series needed at least a 50 eps count to flesh everything out
The problems you speak of are inherent to anime. For the most part you're not telling a great story in 12 22-24 minute episodes. If it's more inline with a slice of life type show you can but outside that it's difficult to do.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
MT Episode 15 was great as expected. Shows Eris' growth as person (imagine her having the patience to teach, show restraint in part 1) and her respect for the master that introduced her to the sword.

Gyes challenges her to see how strong a disciple of the "disgraceful" Ghislaine could be. Eris gave him a rather quick answer. She is a prodigy.

Next episode is gonna be another great one.

The Villain

Superstar
Daps
If there’s a dub I’m watching it. I’m too old to be reading anime for the authenticity. Only time I’ll watch a sub is if it’s something I’m watching as it airs like JJK or Demon Slayer, or it’s JoJo. For whatever reason dub JoJo does not do it for me.

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria

Subs by default. Newer dubs are finally starting to catch up a bit, but some of the raw emotion captured by certain VAs can't be replicated by a mass majority of English VAs.

Especially for antagonists. A badly chosen English VA for a villain can instantly make something shyt. The VA could be good too, but if they don't capture the core of the character, they fall flat usually.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Irinia: The Vampire Cosmonaut with another really good episode. The ice skating scene was directed phenominally and the two leads continue to play off each other very well. Really nice gem this show has turned out to be.

AStrangeName

Member of Snitch Syndication
Daps
I didn't realize when I mention how Viz Media dubbing on Boruto is slow due to not being aware that Adult Swim dropped the show back in 2019 and Viz is still doing the dubs, but you have to buy them physical (Blu-ray) or digital. Which kinda explains why they stopped putting the dubs on Hulu.