42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I still havent watched Akira. Saw that exploding Tetsuo scene on YouTube and was like "yeah not for me :hubie:"
Akira starts fukked up. :russ:

By the time all the wild shyt with Tetsuo started happening, I was already traumatized and numb :dead: spent the next 3 years processing what I saw. Then I just happened to stroll into the room to watch Blue Gender with my cousin. Rinse and Repeat.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
while we on the subject of being "scarred", has any anime legit changed your life or how you see life in general?

I know I've gone at length about Gurren Lagann.... and maybe about how X/1999 changed my perception of right and wrong (actually how my perception of right and wrong was okay)

what about the rest of you?

I don't mean "I really enjoyed this show" I mean... literal life/philosophy changing shyt.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
while we on the subject of being "scarred", has any anime legit changed your life or how you see life in general?

I know I've gone at length about Gurren Lagann.... and maybe about how X/1999 changed my perception of right and wrong (actually how my perception of right and wrong was okay)

I don't mean "I really enjoyed this show" I mean... literal life/philosophy changing shyt.
Ippo was some of the most motivational shyt I'd seen when I first watched it. Watching that made me happy to go to practice even though I wasn't the best on the team.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
I've seen a LOT of anime, a good portion of it rated way outside my age group at the time but I don't think there's a singular series that changed my view on life as a whole. It certainly did open up some avenues I never even knew existed prior, being raised in the Church, that's for sure.

Pastor in the pulpit decrying the perils of Evil and I'm sitting there like " If you've seen what I've seen, you could never doubt it Sir."

:mjcry:

Last edited:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I've seen a LOT of anime, a good portion of it rated way outside my age group at the time but I don't think there's a singular series that changed my view on life as a whole. It certainly dod open up some avenues I never even knew existed prior, being raised in the Church, that's for sure.

Pastor in the pulpit decrying the perils of Evil and I'm sitting there like " If you've seen what I've seen, you could never doubt it Sir."

:mjcry:

thats one of the reasons I love wild fiction, and the eastern viewpoint in general.

In the west, monster of the week, good guys win, mary had a little lamb, you'll go to heaven if you act right.

Post-Divorce Hideaki Anno: ":mjgrin: I wrote Evangelion like that to show kids that life is fukked up. They need to be prepared. "

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
thats one of the reasons I love wild fiction, and the eastern viewpoint in general.

In the west, monster of the week, good guys win, mary had a little lamb, you'll go to heaven if you act right.

Post-Divorce Hideaki Anno: ":mjgrin: I wrote Evangelion like that to show kids that life is fukked up. They need to be prepared. "
On that same note, I think it was the writer of Sailor Moon who said that she wrote the cast and characters that way because those are the friends that she always wished she had. And I don't know why, but that shyt hit different :mjcry:

Consumed

Superstar
Daps

Found GTO as a sophomore in high school. Not sure if I work in education, volunteer for afterschool programs if not for that experience.

At what was probably the lowest point of my life mental health wise, I read some books and watched Welcome to the NHK. And it spoke to my soul on topics of depression and anxiety. Was able to start overcoming those issues in part thanks to that. Same goes for Sangatsu Lion, When Marnie Was There. Natsume Yuujinchou.

there are others with themes that I resonate with strongly. Like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, YYH. But Idk if its life or perspective changing for me. Mood elevating definitely.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
On that same note, I think it was the writer of Sailor Moon who said that she wrote the cast and characters that way because those are the friends that she always wished she had. And I don't know why, but that shyt hit different :mjcry:

yeah, and it's why I'm a sailor moon stan.

She wrote Usagi/Serena as a dislikeable fukkup. Cause she felt like a dislikeable fukkup.

Venus is who she wish she was.

Mercury is who she wished she was as smart as.

Jupiter is who she wish she was as strong as.

Mars, angry and overbearing.

etc etc

It's a brutally honest deconstruction of the self. Even Tuxedo Mask being an older man and their future daughter not loving them like that.