Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
4Kids thats what it was

"the original sub" :sas1:

you mean the original raw version, japanese with no subtitles? :sas2:
it was the company who originally dubbed one piece and a LOT of other shows trying to make money in the west :snoop:

there is no 'original' sub, there's simply good translation and bad. you'll rarely see a bad translation unless you're trying to get something pre-release (no almost never)

dubs are finished products, that if fukked up could take years to correct if they ever are

Daps
Reppin
SN1
Dubs have got better over the years in some certain instances, but its almost never in popular series - those always get rush jobs or get mended for some weird shyt. Kill la Kill, Akame ga kill, Gundam... all were bottom of the barrel shyt compared to the dub that IS possible for some niche releases or bigger productions such as OVAs or movies.

I'm not saying all dubs are trash, I'm saying that you can't say they're all good - and they sometimes have no problems missing hard on key scenes regularly.
bullshyt, all the popular shows I've seen had good dubs

Akame ga Kill, Kill la Kill, Gundam (00, IBO, and Thunderbolt) all have good dubs. Fairy Tail, SAO, are good dubs too. Toradora might have the best dub I've ever heard. Even Steins;Gate the problem wasn't the voice acting it was almost everything else.

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria

Akame ga Kill, Kill la Kill, Gundam (00, IBO, and Thunderbolt) all have good dubs. Fairy Tail, SAO, are good dubs too. Toradora might have the best dub I've ever heard. Even Steins;Gate the problem wasn't the voice acting it was almost everything else.

:jojolol: At anything in SAO being good

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

not to be a dikk, but what are you comparing them against?

maybe i missed it, but have you named a bad dub yet?

Daps
Reppin
SN1
:jojolol: At anything in SAO being good
the Mother's Rosario arc is probably the best arc I've seen and everyone loved the first arc. The voice acting is great Asuna and Yuuki are good characters. Plenty of good things about SAO. The art and OST are GOAT level.

major sword art online spoilers

not to be a dikk, but what are you comparing them against?

Every other anime I've ever watched. I've already linked you to my MAL profile if you care enough what I'm comparing them to but here it is again

stylestheghost's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

Daps
Reppin
SN1

I said Golden Boy had a bad dub but the more I think about it, the voice fit the MC's character I just found it annoying.

Pokemon's dub is kinda bad.
Don't take this personal but I don't go through people's anime lists :whoa:

seen shyt I never needed to see :whoa:

well don't take this personal either but I'm not about to type out names of about 200 animes.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
OG versions don't have subs. If dubbing is catering to American or English speaking audiences, then so is subbing. Japanese people don't watch subbed or dubbed. :umad:
Of course they don't which is why fansub sites is how I got onto most of my anime back then. The quality of the videos are pretty bad compared to now but the subs were always on point and better than the official dubs.

Daps
Reppin
SN1
Of course they don't which is why fansub sites is how I got onto most of my anime back then. The quality of the videos are pretty bad compared to now but the subs were always on point and better than the official dubs.
Can you answer this for me cause nobody else has. Doesn't it bother you to read TV shows? Every time I've tried to do it I get frustrated. Sometimes it goes to fast and I have to pause the video to read.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I said Golden Boy had a bad dub but the more I think about it, the voice fit the MC's character I just found it annoying.

Pokemon's dub is kinda bad.

well don't take this personal either but I'm not about to type out names of about 200 animes.
Never asked for 200 animes... just what you thought was a bad dub

pokemon isn't a bad dub at all really. the powers that be can't allow it to be bad - pokemon is a worldwide empire basically

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Can you answer this for me cause nobody else has. Doesn't it bother you to read TV shows? Every time I've tried to do it I get frustrated. Sometimes it goes to fast and I have to pause the video to read.

Well I read books, so no it doesn't bother me. :pachaha:

Daps
Reppin
SN1
Never asked for 200 animes... just what you thought was a bad dub

pokemon isn't a bad dub at all really. the powers that be can't allow it to be bad - pokemon is a worldwide empire basically
breh if you think Pokemon has a better dub than Akame ga Kill then we should just leave it here.

I think it's really rare for a dub to be bad. I'm sure it's just as rare for subs to be bad but what would I know about that?

Kanokon had a really bad dub.

Tia Ballard is usually pretty bad but she's getting better.

Other than that I can't think of a whole lot. The voice acting in the dub of K was pretty lifeless but so were the characters so I don't know if I'd consider that bad. I find it hard to go back to some older shows like DBZ cause the voice acting is so antiquated in my opinion, but I wouldn't say its bad.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Seriously I'm so use to it it doesn't bother me at all. A lot of people I know can't do it and like you said it frustrates them or distracts them from whats going on on the screen. Back when I started watching anime there were hardly any dubs and you just had to read the subs to understand what was going on. I remember even before Toonami was created anime use to come on the Sci-Fi channel (Iria:Zeiram and Vampire Hunter D (original not Bloodlust) late around 1-2am b/c the FCC didnt know how to rate it even on basic cable and that was the only time slot it could get on TV. I always prefer the original versions of movies, animes, books, just so I know what exactly the creator originally intended for his/her audience. If that requires me to do a little reading while watching I have no problem with that and its like second nature now.

Consumed

Superstar
Daps

Was a struggle at first but I got used to it.
Over time you learn the meaning of common Japanese phrases and recognize voice patterns so that you don't need to stare at the bottom of a screen all the time.

It helps that a lot of anime dialogue is just two people standing still with random camera panning shots

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
breh if you think Pokemon has a better dub than Akame ga Kill then we should just leave it here.

I think it's really rare for a dub to be bad. I'm sure it's just as rare for subs to be bad but what would I know about that?

Kanokon had a really bad dub.

Tia Ballard is usually pretty bad but she's getting better.

Other than that I can't think of a whole lot. The voice acting in the dub of K was pretty lifeless but so were the characters so I don't know if I'd consider that bad. I find it hard to go back to some older shows like DBZ cause the voice acting is so antiquated in my opinion, but I wouldn't say its bad.
Pokemon is one of the worst arguments possible because of the way its written to begin with.

How many anime productions have to be created with multiple cultures, languages, and diverse audiences in mind? Pokemon is probably the only long running series with those kinds of considerations. Even before it hits the pre-production phase, higher ups make sure that its going to hit hit targets in every market with a Nintendo product. Its almost silly to say that Pokemon is merely a 'dub' when you could argue that its evolved far, far beyond its initial market in Japan.

Never seen or heard of Kanokon so :manny: