42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
:scust:

Oh yeah, voices in a language you don't speak are better. Nah thats insanely elitist. I only watch dubs and I can't think of any that aren't at least decent except Golden Boy and thats old as fukk.

Wtf is Dio? Jojo shyt?

I started with YYH but I wouldn't recommend longer shows to a beginner. Even today I have a hard time watching a show that goes over 25 episodes if it isn't really good.
I felt the same way as you did for a long, long time :manny: The fact of the matter is that you can actually understand inflection and tones as they are universal and some things simply don't translate. Arrogance, cockiness, disgust, stuttering fear, shortness - these things are universal and you don't need to be a genius to pick up on it either. Its innate. Especially when a lot of english VAs don't understand the basics of the character that they're working with in combination with certain things being inherently lost in translation. I didn't notice it at all until I just happened to start watching shyt on Toonami AFTER I'd already seen something originally just subbed. Its jarring.

Some of the ways you hear people talking to each other in dubs vs the original barely even makes sense.

There are some GREAT dubs out there, but people think that's the standard. Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in The Shell, YYH, DBZ, FMA - those are way above the typical dub. That's not the norm at all. Even Attack on Titan and One Punch Man, guaranteed money makers, had pretty trashy dubs.

Daps
Reppin
SN1
There are some GREAT dubs out there, but people think that's the standard. Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in The Shell, YYH, DBZ, FMA - those are way above the typical dub. That's not the norm at all. Even Attack on Titan and One Punch Man, guaranteed money makers, had pretty trashy dubs.
The standard for dubs has never been higher. The way your listing off old shows as the GOAT dubs tells me we're not on the same wavelength at all. YYH and DBZ in particular don't have very good dubs. It's what most of us started with but their not the easiest to rewatch for me.

Some of the ways you hear people talking to each other in dubs vs the original barely even makes sense

What?

Especially when a lot of english VAs don't understand the basics of the character that they're working with in combination with certain things being inherently lost in translation. I didn't notice it at all until I just happened to start watching shyt on Toonami AFTER I'd already seen something originally just subbed. Its jarring.
Gimmie an example of this cause I'm not sure what you mean. :patrice:

And I didn't mean to start dub vs sub again, I was merely saying since the poster most likely doesn't speak Japanese he or she probably wants to watch shows in English.

I've never watched FMA, breh :wow:

Don't go hard on me :wow:

I haven't watch FMA, One Punch Man, Bleach, Bebop, Attack on Titan, HunterXHunter, Jojo, Kuroko no Basket - most of the coli's favorites. I plan to watch FMA eventually but the rest can wait. I tried to watch Samurai Champloo but the first episode was so boring I never made it to episode 2. I don't tend to like the shows with really high scores on MAL like Steins;Gate and all that so I put em off. Just now getting to Darker than Black late as fukk.

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
The standard for dubs has never been higher. The way your listing off old shows as the GOAT dubs tells me we're not on the same wavelength at all. YYH and DBZ in particular don't have very good dubs. It's what most of us started with but their not the easiest to rewatch for me.

:camby::camby::camby::camby::camby::camby::camby:

Funimation dub is GOAT with Faulconer OST.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
You don't even like dubs only reason you think those dubs are good is cause you like those shows not cause of the voice acting
YYH is regarding by many as having the best dub ever is what he's saying :mjgrin: all those one liners Yusuke was known for? That's not entirely in the script or source material

DBZ... you know what Goku has been voiced by the same old woman for damn near 30 years right? She's even been tenured into the Dragon Ball Super run and her healthy literally fukks with the scheduling regularly. DB/DBZ's original work was trash.

What?

Gimmie an example of this cause I'm not sure what you mean. :patrice:

And I didn't mean to start dub vs sub again, I was merely saying since the poster most likely doesn't speak Japanese he or she probably wants to watch shows in English.

I haven't watch FMA, One Punch Man, Bleach, Bebop, Attack on Titan, HunterXHunter, Jojo, Kuroko no Basket - most of the coli's favorites. I plan to watch FMA eventually but the rest can wait. I tried to watch Samurai Champloo but the first episode was so boring I never made it to episode 2. I don't tend to like the shows with really high scores on MAL like Steins;Gate and all that so I put em off. Just now getting to Darker than Black late as fukk.
oh naw i feel you. I'm not trying to shyt on opinions or anything.

What have you seen? Because if you've been around great dubs through everything what I'm saying is just bs :yeshrug: attack on titan is the best recent example i can give you. they couldn't even be scared right

I'm just saying that basic stuff that you take for granted when watching a normal show or movie in english by english VAs or normal actors is there in subs and not dubs. How someone speaks to their kid... Inflection, tone, shortness, directness, or emphasis on certain topics all detail that kind of relationship. Some dubs have the time to give the complete amount of fukks necessary to make sure all that translates properly, many don't.

Yeah, in a way, the demand for dubs has never been higher - but its more than the demand to get them quickly. People want to strike while the iron is hot for immediately successful shows. They need dubs ASAP, so outside of movies, you're almost always gonna get something spotty or outright bad.
from what i remember, Inuyasha had some dub too.

:mjlol:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
SN1
YYH is regarding by many as having the best dub ever is what he's saying :mjgrin: all those one liners Yusuke was known for? That's not entirely in the script our source material

DBZ... you know what Goku has been voiced by the same old woman for damn near 30 years right? She's even been tenured into the Dragon Ball Super run and her healthy literally fukks with the scheduling regularly. DB/DBZ's original work was trash.

oh naw i feel you. I'm not trying to shyt on opinions or anything.

What have you seen? Because if you've been around great dubs through everything what I'm saying is just bs :yeshrug: attack on titan is the best recent example i can give you. they couldn't even be scared right

I'm just saying that basic stuff that you take for granted when watching a normal show or movie in english by english VAs or normal actors is there in subs and not dubs. How someone speaks to their kid... Inflection, tone, shortness, directness, or emphasis on certain topics all detail that kind of relationship. Some dubs have the time to give the complete amount of fukks necessary to make sure all that translates properly, many don't.

Yeah, in a way, the demand for dubs has never been higher - but its more than the demand to get them quickly. People want to strike while the iron is hot for immediately successful shows. They need dubs ASAP, so outside of movies, you're almost always gonna get something spotty or outright bad.
What does shortness mean? :patrice:

As far as what have I seen - stylestheghost's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

I've seen about 200 anime. Not a ton like some of you I only got back into it in 2010, and then really got into it in 2012. Like I said only one I thought had a bad dub was Golden Boy, though that may have been on purpose as the MC was obnoxious as fukk and over acting. I've never noticed inflection, tone, or emphasis being way off or anything like that.

As far as dubs being rushed they kind of have to be now that we have SimulDubs (dubbed episodes coming out a few weeks to a month after the subbed) but I haven't noticed any decline in voice acting quality. Keijo is the only one that I think probably needed more time but thats just because a few of the characters have this weird southern american accent that feels out of place.

How the fukk can you tell me what I like? :mjlol:

You said most dubs are trash but the exceptions happen to be all the classics. What a coincidence those are the only shows with good voice acting. :stopitslime: Or your just saying it because you like the show. In other words I don't believe you.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I've never watched FMA, breh :wow:

Don't go hard on me :wow:
Yo man what are you waiting for? Make sure its FMA:Brotherhood and not the other one. King Bradley commands it.
786273.gif

You don't even like dubs only reason you think those dubs are good is cause you like those shows not cause of the voice acting
You out of your mind. The greatest DBZ scene was ruined when it was translated to English and premiered on Toonami. Took out a lot of emotions and heaviness of that scene.

Edit: My bad @Bars4TheCause

Last edited:

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
You said most dubs are trash but the exceptions happen to be all the classics. What a coincidence those are the only shows with good voice acting. :stopitslime: Or your just saying it because you like the show. In other words I don't believe you.

Then go kick rocks, nikka :pachaha:

Just because they're classics doesn't remove the fact that they are the standard of English dubs.

Fist of the North Star is a bonafide classic, but the English dub is actually complete and utter trash. :manny:

Daps
Reppin
SN1
Yo man what are you waiting for? Make sure its FMA:Brotherhood and not the other one. King Bradley commands it.
I got a lot of shyt to watch and I generally disagree with the consensus opinions so a 64 episode show isn't exactly at the top of my list. I'll get around to watching it eventually but the last show rated that highly that I watched was Steins;Gate which I thought was horrible.

You out of your mind. The greatest DBZ scene was ruined when it was translated to English and premiered on Toonami. Took out a lot of emotions and heaviness of that scene.
You quoted the wrong person on DBZ. @VictorVonPoon and @42 Monks are the ones who said DBZ had a great dub, I was disagreeing with them.

Then go kick rocks, nikka :pachaha:

Just because they're classics doesn't remove the fact that they are the standard of English dubs.

Fist of the North Star is a bonafide classic, but the English dub is actually complete and utter trash. :manny:
If you really think English dub voice acting hasn't got better in the last 20 years thats your loss. :manny: