Westside Gunn - Who Made The Sunshine (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
At this point, Griselda stays so consistent when it comes to putting shyt out that 'no samples' thing feels like some Picasso 'phase' type shyt, rather than records that define their whole careers because they released them on a major.

Just sounded like he was doing some Mobb Deep shyt on '98 Sabres' - I'll be lowkey disappointed if they don't make that a single.

Stovegod talking about his plug looking like Razor Ramon though :pachaha:
I don't like the Daringer/Beat Butcha combo very much anymore but your bolded take is a good one. That production duo is definitely such a small part of the Griselda catalogue that it's far from a defining feature.
:manny:

'98 Sabers is fire. Just Blaze can do any type of beat he wants. Although I have no idea why that song is a Griselda posse cut and they left Boldy James off. He would've murked that beat.
:wow:

Stovegod is the most entertaining new rapper in a hot minute. I'm glad his verse is first on Frank Murray so that I don't have to listen to that beat forever just to get to it.
:heh:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm digging this album a lot off one listen. I enjoyed WWCD's production as well for context, but this one is more diverse with ALC and Just thrown in. Having Slick Rick not once but TWICE is a treat

nahnah

Superstar
Daps
I’m 99% sure that Gunn and Conway share the same father.

Anyway for the good folk here who are fans, buy the album to support. West side Gunn mentioned in the Instagram post below about people liking the music, but that is not equating to album sales because they are actually not buying the albums.

He ain't wrong about album artwork loads have been biting that shyt to the point it's got ridiculous :heh:

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
On track 1 and this is the third time AA Rashid tries to come off as droppin' gems on some cool shyt :gucci:
Wtf is he talkin about :gucci:
I knew dem nikkas just wanted to get into the rap game years years ago :mjlol:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Frank Murphy is the only low for me. Not sure what's going on with the beat, it's like something dope hidden under there but we don't get to hear it! :heh:

shyt is damn near 'Stroke Of Death' levels of :patrice:

Every time Slick Rick pops up he just proves to me he could drop an album this year right now with modern producers and it would be damn near classic.

Agreed.

Would love to see either WSG executive produce a joint for him - They have really good chemistry on 'Goodnight' and Gunn musically is a few branches along the family tree via Rae and Ghost from him. Or just let Madlib go ham and bless him 'Madvillain/ Bandana' style.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Which is why don’t take none of these nikkas opinions regarding music seriously.
I mean I don’t really like production duo of Daringer and beat butcha. I think they’re mad talented but usually don’t make my favorite beats, but I’m not saying other people have to not like them. And Westside Gunn isn’t my favorite rapper, so if people like Westside and that production duo more, then they definitely shouldn’t take my opinion that seriously on this album.
:manny:
ironically West had Alchemist make 2 beats on here that I’m almost positive you’ll hate (and I don’t like them), given what I know about the production you like.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Every time Slick Rick pops up he just proves to me he could drop an album this year right now with modern producers and it would be damn near classic.
but then when he goes to record he goes straight for some dated dusty loop

he desperately needs a exec producer.