We smoking on that XBOX pack tonight. It's Ovah. RIP XBOX.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
remember how the generation started

craig.jpg

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
These dudes are going through it online. I understand this was their money maker being social media Xbox fanboys but you gotta adjust. Talk about PS Nintendo Steam whoever but these dudes acting like they don’t have families and a life to live.

Microsoft is about a dollar they don’t care about fanboy shyt
:skip: yeah, these dudes are going through it

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I’m loving the pivot I’m seeing around, that we need Xbox as competition and check and balance on PlayStation :mjlol:

I remember us speaking up thru Bethesda and ABK. What happened?

There will still be comp when it comes to games. if these titles don't sell on Sony it's not because they're Xbox games, it's because we have a higher standard :mjpls:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I think MS wealth is actually a hindrance.

Their valuation is somewhere around $2T which puts them on par with the GDP of Canada, Italy or Russia.

They made their bones outside of gaming so video games are (essentially) a side project for them. Problem is that competing against Sony/Nintendo is like training to fight prime Ali but treating boxing like a side project. Buying the best gloves, heavy bags, medicine balls and trainers won't help you if you're not a boxer at your core.

The early success of 360 prolonged this excursion into gaming. They were chasing a phantom and ignored that the success they had from like '05 to '07/'08 was due to unique circumstances that they couldn't control.
Exactly. It's just not what they do.

Most humans get products/apps because they want productivity or want entertainment. Nintendo and Sony at their core have been doing the latter at their center before they got into video games while Microsoft has their product line centered around the former.

Plus when you look at someone like Satya, dude is nearly 60 years old and says he grew up playing video games.

I'm really not so sure of that. The timelines are iffy. Saying his favorite game is Candy Crush Saga kind of says a lot while saying he "loves video games". I remember someone shared a tweet a few weeks ago talking about how Microsoft is basically that kid who used to make fun of people playing video games, now being the boss of people who make video games. I'm thinking dude is closer to being that than someone who is head over heels about video games and video game culture.

Combined with what I said, I'm kind of glad Sony CEO's don't get up there and blow smoke up people's asses about how much of a "gamer" they all are. It's easy to tell if someone really means that or not.

Last edited:

Red Money

All Star
Daps
Indeed, but they built it up over the gen.

But it all goes back to Sega leadership being all over the place

Exactly... So, if you make the box wrong for developers or consumer preferences you are done before you can release a game.

I could release a console with the same power as a PS2 with amazing titles across multiple genres, but it wouldn't move units even at $30. People would want the game to be powered by at least the switch and preferably the PS5 because they want better graphics, better fidelity, better everything else.

If it was just about the games....why even release consoles beyond the PS4 Pro and Xbox one X? Damn near everything on PS5 could be scaled down to PS4 Pro with lower resolution, lesser polygons and effects etc....and it would not change the core fundamentals of the game.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
If it was just about the games....why even release consoles beyond the PS4 Pro and Xbox one X? Damn near everything on PS5 could be scaled down to PS4 Pro with lower resolution, lesser polygons and effects etc....and it would not change the core fundamentals of the game.

Because people want better as tech advances. That's like saying why go above the N64 or 360?

And yes, it's still about the games at the end of the day. Games made the PS3 come back and overtake the 360. Games is what made the PS2 arguably the GOAT system. Games make systems at the end of the day still. Power and tech advances are still very important, but it's useless without the games. :dahell:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Because people want better as tech advances. That's like saying why go above the N64 or 360?

And yes, it's still about the games at the end of the day. Games made the PS3 come back and overtake the 360. Games is what made the PS2 arguably the GOAT system. Games make systems at the end of the day still. Power and tech advances are still very important, but it's useless without the games. :dahell:

Why did we need to go above 480P and CRTs? I don’t get it

Red Money

All Star
Daps
This is all facts, the most important aspect of the psx was the ease of development. That's mainly what attracted third party devs. They were begging Nintendo to get rid of cartridges.

Sega developed another 2d console with the Saturn, and added some 3d gfx hardware last minute. It was damn near impossible to develop 3d games on the Saturn.

It's a lot of factors beyond games. People not always willing to try new IPs on a different console. And Developers not always willing to go out of comfortable zone to develop for a console without an established base even without factoring ease of development.

Dreamcast brought us the 2K series Basketball & Football. I never went back to NBA Live. But people stuck to the PlayStation...and 2K didn't blow up until it went Xbox & PS2.

Dreamcast with their SDK and windows CE (though performance dips with those games) was not a chore for developers, Lot of great games came out. Now a boot disc being available peer 2 peer sharing (noticably hotline) didn't help along with GD-Roms over DVD.....but good games.... and playable online games 56k and broadband didn't stop Dreamcast from failing.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It's a lot of factors beyond games. People not always willing to try new IPs on a different console. And Developers not always willing to go out of comfortable zone to develop for a console without an established base even without factoring ease of development.

Dreamcast brought us the 2K series Basketball & Football. I never went back to NBA Live. But people stuck to the PlayStation...and 2K didn't blow up until it went Xbox & PS2.

Dreamcast with their SDK and windows CE (though performance dips with those games) was not a chore for developers, Lot of great games came out. Now a boot disc being available peer 2 peer sharing (noticably hotline) didn't help along with GD-Roms over DVD.....but good games.... and playable online games 56k and broadband didn't stop Dreamcast from failing.
Dreamcast failed because of Sega leadership in Japan and America never being on the same page for years at that point and the rampant pirating here in the states of Dreamcast.

Red Money

All Star
Daps

I had Xbox 01/02. I tried PS2 and it was a DVD player for me... eventually sold down the line. I Enjoyed red faction. But Tekken tag and ridge racer 5 and GT3 left me with a sour taste.

I didn't play god of war series until PS3 in the 2010s and appreciated it along with the last of us, uncharted series, resistance etc.

I got a PS2 slim a couple years back and I'm exploring some titles that came out after the first couple years.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI

The Dreamcast was easy to develop for, but at that point sega was operating on a ton of bad will due to them abandoning 3 failed consoles in a row. The games were extremely easy to bootleg, leading to the software not selling much. And the Dreamcast was severely underpowered compared to the ps2/GameCube.

Red Money

All Star
Daps
The Dreamcast was easy to develop for, but at that point sega was operating on a ton of bad will due to them abandoning 3 failed consoles in a row. The games were extremely easy to bootleg, leading to the software not selling much. And the Dreamcast was severely underpowered compared to the ps2/GameCube.

9/9/99 usa....it came out first for the generation and looked better than PS1 and N64 polygons.

PS2 came out jaggies and that weird shimmering look when I had it real time....PS2 was weaker than GameCube and Xbox if we talking power. PS2 was still a cheap DVD player that happened to play games, lol.