We need to have a serious discussion about the IGNORANT nature of BROOKLYN nikkas

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Interesting that you'd frame it as a class issue when there are dirt poor ados enclaves all over the country not on that kinda time. Before i posted, the argument was leaning toward "cultural" problems. Then I ask which culture and now nobody knows what im talking about. :skip: Old folks were not listening to Tariq nasheed. :mjlol:

Don't claim a borough if you not willing to claim the dirt. Is brooklyn's black population not majority foreign? Wasnt this whole thread about how are "psycho" nikkas be out here in particular? 1+1=2. I fully claim Harlem and yes, i know who nicky barnes was and where he came from bc my grandfather served him meals (chef).

* The difference between wi's of the Harlem renaissance era and those arriving later are numerous. 1. Immigrants act different when they are few vs when they are many. (See: current Mexicans) 2. Assimilating into an already established population of on code ados is not at all similar to establishing new communities, esp not post integration. 3. Iirc, the immigration reqs changed post 1965 immigration act, allowing more impoverished black immigrants.

4. This is my own theory: much like sheltered kids at college or on spring break, i believe ppl generally show out first and second gen in a new place, cuz they grandmama ain't there, either to witness the bad behavior or get touched. :usure: You see it in the first few ados gens after the great migration, or when white folks originally left the east coast and moved west. I think thats what happened in bk in the 80s and 90s. Ados had it earlier.

5. You think im making the 'inherently violent' argument, but its slightly more nuanced. Time and place matters. The historians say that the black experience in the islands during slavery tended to be more brutal. Do you think that had no effect on their socialization? :jbhmm:
This is an excellent point.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
I mean, some of these islands in the Caribbean have high crime and poverty rates on their own. Are these kids in Brooklyn Americanized or was their style of violence that was something that was already in their culture? It’s kinda like the Haitians down in Miami. When ppl claim that Zoe Pound was founded as a deterent to African American bullying, and that America turned them out. But in the end, Zoe Pound was going to war with other Haitians and the machete style of violence seems uniquely Caribbean and foreign. That wasn’t anything they learned from America. That’s just infra cultural degeneracy and violence.
True, but a lot of these young kids never been to the islands or maybe just a few times. Besides family being Caribbean, they don't have a connection like that

Back in the 80's, that's when most black immigrants came here, I know because I was friends with a lot of them. I remember how they dressed, and talked, flatbush is the first stop for most carribeans. In that case your argument is strong, but now? I don't know

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Bullshyt, because he just verified my point, killings were going down, not up

Plus, you claimed people were getting locked up for violent crimes, but they weren't, most people who got locked up was for nonviolent drug offenses all the way into the 2000s

Its crazy how you, and @ISO , just ignore the big drop in those three years(over 300) but when killings drop over a hundred, most mayors are praised for it.

Y'all don't even realize the reason why it's not praised was because the mayor was black, mayor Dinkins, and a lot of people didn't like the fact that he wasn't a c00n, and spoke for black people.

Giuliani came in in 1994, and is given credit for crime going down, even though it was happening all over the country already, and mayor Dinkins helped lower it before Giuliani, but do you ever hear them give him praise for it?

Notice the years that led up to 1990 aren't talked about as much in the same way as when Dinkins was mayor, and you know why, it's because Ed Koch was mayor. He was a white jew who was the mayor from 1978-1989, but when you think of NYC height of crime, you see mayor Dinkins. Racism is no joke!
:ohhh:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I was born and raised in Crown Heights BK. Hung out and partied in East Flatbush and I own a home in Bed Stuy. I believe Brooklyn is worse for young adults now than in the 80s or 90s. Back then, robberies were higher. Now, murders are higher
In the 80s or 90s, you were likely to get robbed for a Polo coat or chain because everyone didn't have these items.
Nowadays, the majority of kids have on $800-$1000 outfits (not including cellphone). Luxury items are the norm. Kids don't worry about getting robbed for a Moncler now but back then, kids got robbed for Columbia's & Triple Fat Gooses.
The reason I say now is worse is because there are more young people with guns.
This causes gang wars & beef to be a lot more serious. 80's & 90's you might get jumped and stomped out by 5 dudes but now, you're getting shot on site, in broad daylight with witnesses.
I know people that refuse to sign the book at funerals because the victim's killer might attend to take down the address of friends or family.

Also, the reason they don't have that same energy for white people is because cops don't react the same when a black person gets robbed & shot. Shoot a black person, cops will come to the scene one day and leave a light tower on the block.
If a white person gets robbed & shot, cops will shut down that block with constant patrols. Now the hustlers can't work properly and money is lost.

Damn shame. Self hatred and a vehement hatred of a Black positivity movement caused it to,get out of hand. Even Harlem had the Harlem Reniassance where black cultured flourished with Black Civil Rights Leaders, Black poets, Jazz musicians, Black Owned Businesses, and Black organizations like The Nation of Islam. BK never really had anything like that of that magnitude for black folks, only history of crime and hardship overshadows everything else SMH.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Explain not allowed

:lupe:
:skip: Moms didn't allow it, just like that. And my family is from above 145th st, we been outside. :usure:

https://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1032&context=cibs

But even in your article: "In the mid-80's, the police in Jamaica cracked down on violent gangs in the slums of Kingston. Many gang members fled to the United States, where they formed new gangs. The gang members who moved to Brooklyn and Harlem altered the reputation of the Caribbean community, which had been known as hard-working and law-abiding, said some people of Caribbean descent."

They sent a lot of criminals but let's not act like the area was roses and peaches before they got there, they just added and made it worse.
Which was exactly my point, thank you. Im using the word "superlative" for a reason.

su·per·la·tive /səˈpərlədiv/

adjective
  1. 1.
    of the highest quality or degree

Nobody said nothing was peaches and roses, ofc there was violence, but being that the entire point of the thread was to say, 'bk nikkas different', it's important to note how that came about.

:jbhmm: Im willing to give some credence to the brooklyn density theory (ie, italians), but again, i think that has more to do with *large numbers* of italian immigrants bringing their culture with them and generally showing out far from 'home'. Similar to Mexicans bringing their gangs and allegiances, all from countries with less 'law and order'.

I noticed how nobody addresses my actual points, just stuff they think i implied. :martin:

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
This is an excellent point.
Low key, this is also why i think there seem to be so many FLAGRANT, maga hat wearing non ados c00ns. Not bc they're inherently more c00nish, but bc the ppl who would check them or be effected are back home.

Ados maga have usually married out and thus are already somewhat excommunicated and/ or they try to tone it down so as not to shame extended family.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Damn shame. Self hatred and a vehement hatred of a Black positivity movement caused it to,get out of hand. Even Harlem had the Harlem Reniassance where black cultured flourished with Black Civil Rights Leaders, Black poets, Jazz musicians, Black Owned Businesses, and Black organizations like The Nation of Islam. BK never really had anything like that of that magnitude for black folks, only history of crime and hardship overshadows everything else SMH.
I can't agree with that. Brooklyn in the mid to late 80's, throughout the 90's, had the same thing as Harlem did during the renaissance. The difference is Harlem is a neighborhood, Brooklyn is a city, the biggest one in N.Y. at that!

That means more shyt is gonna happen, but I could never say all I saw was bullshyt. I was always taught black pride, business ownership, and hustling, and having pride in your area besides being tough. I mentioned the Lafayette avenue area, but all over there from fort Greene, Clinton hills, and parts of bed-stuy was black excellence. Again, Brooklyn is just so dense, and that makes it hard to escape the nonsense

Look at Biggie. Mother was educated, sent him to private school, and lived on a cool block, but once you hit Fulton st. shyt got real. I lived down the block at one point, but my mother worked there too so I was always over there. shyt was NO JOKE!

Sometimes I would just walk down to Lafayette, and south Oxford, to just dream I could one day own one of those brownstone, and hang with the artsy people over there. It came true(not owning a brownstone), I loved being over there, especially in the summer. Nothing but black people being positive!

Biggie story was the kind of like mine, and many others. We had good parents, middle class, but a lot our peers were poor and running the streets so we did shyt too being we were latch key kids.

Look at the decepticons founders, they were smart kids who went to Brooklyn tech, and got tired of being robbed by the other Brooklyn kids downtown. They grouped up, got known for taking no shyt, and the shyt just spread out to the point decepts were feared in all of the borough's. Living in the city is just too real sometimes

Last edited:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
I can't agree with that. Brooklyn in the mid to late 80's, early 90's, had the same thing as Harlem did during the renaissance. The difference is Harlem is a neighborhood, Brooklyn is a city, the biggest one in N.Y. at that!

That means more shyt is gonna happen, but I could never say all I saw was bullshyt. I was always taught black pride, business ownership, and hustling, and having pride in your area besides being tough. I mentioned the Lafayette avenue area, but all over there from fort Greene, Clinton hills, and parts of bed-stuy was black excellence. Again, Brooklyn is just so dense, and that makes it hard to escape the nonsense

Look at Biggie. Mother was educated, sent him to private school, and lived on a cool block, but once you hit Fulton st. shyt got real. I lived down the block at one point, but my mother worked there too so I was always over there. shyt was NO JOKE!

Sometimes I would just walk down to Lafayette, and south Oxford, to just dream I could one day own one of those brownstone, and hang with the artsy people over there. It came true(not owning a brownstone), I loved being over there, especially in the summer. Nothing but black people being positive!

Biggie story was the kind of like mine, and many others. We had good parents, middle class, but a lot our peers were poor and running the streets so we did shyt too being we were latch key kids.

Look at the decepticons founders, they were smart kids who went to Brooklyn tech, and got tired of being robbed by the other Brooklyn kids downtown. They grouped up, got known for taking no shyt, and the shyt just spread out to the point decepts were feared in all of the borough's. Living in the city is just too real sometimes

Gotta flip that into someyhing where positivity is the norm, not the exception. As well as changing the paradigm that black kids can have clout being law abiding people and not engage in fukkery as a way to be "authentic". Its not an entirely a poverty issue, it's a great portion of mental ones as well.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
As someone who's from Brooklyn, worked and driven through all areas of Brooklyn, spent 23 years of my life here (I'm 30), gone to school here, etc I'm qualified to speak on this. This is mainly about hood nikkas in Brooklyn.

I can't help but feel there's a (for lack of better word) slowness or "think before you act" quality to some brehs out here. But most notable is the impulsive nature of these nikkas. It's crazy when I think of all the fights I remember on the bus/train headed to and from school, the shootings, the stabbings/slashings, etc. 97% of the time it was over the pettiest shyt.

The FedEx driver that just got shot is a prime example of what I'm talking about. I doubt the driver said or did anything that disrespectful that warranted a bullet in the back of his neck. I used to be a FedEx driver so I know the deal. He probably was just walking in the building trying to be in-and-out and nikkas tried to shoot the shyt with him..

"yo my man where them ps5's at"

"yo you got anything for [apartment number]"

"yo my man where my package at"

"I'm still waiting on my package, y'all bugging the fukk out"

and unless the driver smiles and replies in a super friendly manner it's always going to be met with aggression and confrontation. That's how these nikkas be. And if the driver is white , he'll get all the respect in the world.

But another reason that prompted this thread is the Casanova situation. It's the same as Taxstone. nikkas just gotta be braggadocios and egotistical about being violent and toxic. It don't matter if the police right there, if cameras are around or plenty of witnesses. They'll just a commit a heinous act without even thinking of the repercussions or outcome. There's no thought or calculation to it. I know this doesn't just pertain to Brooklyn but I'm just speaking on what I know. I've had a number of encounters and confrontations with nikkas when I was younger for the dumbest shyt. Things that still make me go :mindblown: to this day. A nikka will start some drama with you just because you waiting on line at the Chinese restaurant minding your business. shyt is crazy breh... I know it's not just me seeing this shyt. I got so many stories I can drop in here.
Brooklyn been violent the Italian mob was out there too.

anyway you think Brooklyn hood nikkas are worst than Bronx hood nikkas?

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Gotta flip that into someyhing where positivity is the norm, not the exception. As well as changing the paradigm that black kids can have clout being law abiding people and not engage in fukkery as a way to be "authentic". Its not an entirely a poverty issue, it's a great portion of mental ones as well.
But you gotta see yourself getting money from it. Thats why i used to love going to the area i mentioned, i saw artistic people getting paid to do their art, but they werent bougie, just artsy.

There weren't many places like Brooklyn, I had to travel to see that. I could never just say Brooklyn made me paranoid. It did, but it also gave me pride in being black, and knowing I could be a gangsta, and a gentleman, it was my choice. Being smart was cool, as long as you wasn't a sucka

Watching the "Brooklyn Boheme" trailer is bringing back them positive memories

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
But you gotta see yourself getting money from it. Thats why i used to love going to the area i mentioned, i saw artistic people getting paid to do their art, but they werent bougie, just artsy.

There weren't many places like Brooklyn, I had to travel to see that. I could never just say Brooklyn made me paranoid. It did, but it also gave me pride in being black, and knowing I could be a gangsta, and a gentleman, it was my choice. Being smart was cool, as long as you wasn't a sucka

Watching the "Brooklyn Boheme" trailer is bringing back them positive memories

Yeah, but you could agree that the paradigm gotta shift, in order to make a fundamental change.

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
Outside of Mos Def and Talib Kweli, most of them HATE that pro black music. They even slandering Chuck D post 94 because he was "soft" for not catching black bodies.

I’m willing to bet Joey Bada$$ and the Pro Era collective and Underachievers get more love outside of Brooklyn as a result.