"We Got a Senior Slump in Wentzylvania" *2020 Philadelphia Eagles Season Thread*

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
I said his play on Sun was unacceptable.

At the same time, the only player he has trust in is Fulgham. And as I've said, since Frank Reich left, playcalling leaves a lot to be desired. I believe Wentz will come around when the o-line is stabilized and we get relatively healthy with enough practice reps.

I'm more optimistic than most bc I believe with Fulgham, Raegor, Goedert, Ertz & Sanders we'll have a nice balance of skill players that can attack underneath, intermediate & deep.
I hope he turns it around because we're stuck with him for a bit but it is concerning that since he entered the league he's been a fumble machine and his mechanics are trash

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
It's imperative we go 5-1 in the division

Call me crazy but we can win 3 or 4 against CLE, NO, GB, AZ & SEA

Seattle is the only one i literally have no confidence of beating at all. Even during our SB run, they still handed us our worst defeat of that season. We havent beaten them in a very long time lol.

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Perfect outcomes this week...all nfc East opponents stuck at 2 wins

must win divisional game next Sun...hoping byrdgang goes on a run this 2nd half of the season
8 down with 8 to go was a fortunate spot to get this bye and a chance rest up and self scout. Doug made two good decisions during this week :

- He didn't buy into the false goods of thinking they're in 1st place so take the whole week off. He understood they're at 3-4-1 with an offense that isn't playing well and needs all the reps they can get, so he had them get some practice in

- He said he was gonna put together a reel of all 16 Wentz turnovers and go over them in the QB room. They need to drill it into 11s head that these self inflicted wounds can't keep happening, hopefully that film session helps get the message across

KingCesar

All Star
Daps

I get that Wentz is a gunslinger QB in the Favre/Roethlisberger mold. He holds the ball, he tries to extend the play, and he’s always to take deep shots down the field. At his best, it means that he’ll make some amazing plays. And I’ve learned to accept that the aggressive mindset means he’s always going to be taking more sacks and hits than you’d like. He’s just not the Brady/Brees-type, who’s happy to just take what the defense gives him and throw the ball away when plays aren’t there. And he doesn't have to be. The aforementioned two are Hall of Famers.

My issue this season isn’t really with that. My issue has been with the boneheaded decision-making, like forcing balls directly into double coverage, leading to unnecessary interceptions that fukk the team over. Say what you will about Wentz, but he hasn’t had a problem with interceptions since his rookie year, where he threw 14 (and he’ll eclipse that number in 2020). But if you want to look at it optimistically, you could argue that 2020 is probably an outlier in that regard.

But, like it or not, they’re committed to Wentz for the foreseeable future. At 3-4-1, the Eagles won’t be in position to draft one of Lawrence or Fields in 2021. They barely seem to trust Hurts to do more than be a gadget player at this point (he’s thrown, what, two passes?). He’s still signed to a $100 million contract. So they’ll continue to ride with him. The only thing left to do is simply hope that Wentz and Pederson can use the bye week to get right and a healthier, more complete offense in general allows him to settle in.

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
I get that Wentz is a gunslinger QB in the Favre/Roethlisberger mold. He holds the ball, he tries to extend the play, and he’s always to take deep shots down the field. At his best, it means that he’ll make some amazing plays. And I’ve learned to accept that the aggressive mindset means he’s always going to be taking more sacks and hits than you’d like. He’s just not the Brady/Brees-type, who’s happy to just take what the defense gives him and throw the ball away when plays aren’t there. And he doesn't have to be. The aforementioned two are Hall of Famers.

My issue this season isn’t really with that. My issue has been with the boneheaded decision-making, like forcing balls directly into double coverage, leading to unnecessary interceptions that fukk the team over. Say what you will about Wentz, but he hasn’t had a problem with interceptions since his rookie year, where he threw 14 (and he’ll eclipse that number in 2020). But if you want to look at it optimistically, you could argue that 2020 is probably an outlier in that regard.

But, like it or not, they’re committed to Wentz for the foreseeable future. At 3-4-1, the Eagles won’t be in position to draft one of Lawrence or Fields in 2021. They barely seem to trust Hurts to do more than be a gadget player at this point (he’s thrown, what, two passes?). He’s still signed to a $100 million contract. So they’ll continue to ride with him. The only thing left to do is simply hope that Wentz and Pederson can use the bye week to get right and a healthier, more complete offense in general allows him to settle in.
I’d rather Carson just play through it. We just had a bye week, let him rock out.

Box Factory

hater
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
O line looks like it's getting healthy

If Lane and Seumalo, are back, does Peters kick back inside to guard? Does Mailata go to the bench and Peters starts at LT with Herbig beside him?

Obviously I'm a stan and bias, but they can't sit Mailata now.

I know there's been rough spots, but he's played less than 10 football games in his life, and they've all been in the NFL.

His size, strength, and mobility is Shaq like and it's insane that he's done as well as he has with such little experience. They need to keep giving him reps and developing him

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
O line looks like it's getting healthy

If Lane and Seumalo, are back, does Peters kick back inside to guard? Does Mailata go to the bench and Peters starts at LT with Herbig beside him?

Obviously I'm a stan and bias, but they can't sit Mailata now.

I know there's been rough spots, but he's played less than 10 football games in his life, and they've all been in the NFL.

His size, strength, and mobility is Shaq like and it's insane that he's done as well as he has with such little experience. They need to keep giving him reps and developing him
They've kinda made it clear Peters is the LT as long as he's standing, I think the mindset is they want at least two of Peters, Lane, and Mailata at the tackle spots the remainder of the year. Both JP & Lane have struggled to stay on the field so they want Mailata to be the first man up at either side. To JP's credit he did a good job against Aldon & Gregory, just a matter of his body holding up.

I don't necessarily agree with it, and the reviews on JP at RG in the summer were really good and I wanted to see that - but it tells me they only want Pryor or Driscoll seeing the field again at guard. They don't want either having to slide out to RT again if Lane's ankle/knee continues to act up.

It sucks to see Mailata sit, but big picture he's gonna battle with Dillard next summer and may the best man win. It's amazing and fortunate how Fulgham & Mailata really saved the team from a doomsday scenario where JJAW & Dillard both flopped.