"We Got a Senior Slump in Wentzylvania" *2020 Philadelphia Eagles Season Thread*

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Its not that simple, the eagles are broke
Howie , the cap genius, done spent all the bread
It's not really a money issue, Ertz still has 2 years left on his current deal. A new contract wouldn't kick in until 2022 when the cap would likely receive the boom that was anticipated with the new CBA pre-covid. The issues are :

- Dallas Goedert is the elephant in the room : Goedert has Baby Kelce potential and both the Eagles and other teams know that. When he hits free agency after next season someone out there would 100% give him what Austin Hooper got (4/$44m), if not more. The Eagles aren't letting him go and you can't justify paying two top 5ish salaries at that position. If forced to choose they're gonna pick the TE who's 5 years younger

- Paying franchise heroes for what they've done vs what they're gonna do : Ertz will be 31 going on 32 when a new contract kicks in, the odds of him living up to that new deal and not regressing are slim to none. It's just the reality of his position and all the miles he's already racked up.

The smart, straight to the point, frugal Belichick type move is to have Ertz play out this season, flip him for at least what Hayden Hurst got (2nd + 5th), use those assets and the $12m of new cap space to build up the roster and move forward with Goedert as TE1. I don't know if Howie & Lurie have it in them to be that cut throat though.

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang...Bleedin Green
It's not really a money issue, Ertz still has 2 years left on his current deal. A new contract wouldn't kick in until 2022 when the cap would likely receive the boom that was anticipated with the new CBA pre-covid. The issues are :

- Dallas Goedert is the elephant in the room : Goedert has Baby Kelce potential and both the Eagles and other teams know that. When he hits free agency after next season someone out there would 100% give him what Austin Hooper got (4/$44m), if not more. The Eagles aren't letting him go and you can't justify paying two top 5ish salaries at that position. If forced to choose they're gonna pick the TE who's 5 years younger

- Paying franchise heroes for what they've done vs what they're gonna do : Ertz will be 31 going on 32 when a new contract kicks in, the odds of him living up to that new deal and not regressing are slim to none. It's just the reality of his position and all the miles he's already racked up.

The smart, straight to the point, frugal Belichick type move is to have Ertz play out this season, flip him for at least what Hayden Hurst got (2nd + 5th), use those assets and the $12m of new cap space to build up the roster and move forward with Goedert as TE1. I don't know if Howie & Lurie have it in them to be that cut throat though.

Your points are noted but its still a money issue because if they flat out didnt want Ertz they wouldnt have tried to extend him three times, he turned down every deal they presented. This ties into all your points- they want him on the cheap especially considering he will be 30

Last edited:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Yall know why I'm here
BYIDBJX4-BBGOFJGHHW7-QXAR4-UU.png

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
I know y’all wanted us to get Justin Jefferson instead of Reagor.
I don’t see no mention of Justin Jefferson riding the bench though

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps

We let our #1 snap playing, team captain, locker room leader Malcolm Jenkins go this offseason. Howie definitely said he’s learning from his mistakes and from being too personal with players. I like Ertz but I wouldn’t be mad if they let him go for some assets and locked in Goedert to a long term deal.

mikishere

#byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I know y’all wanted us to get Justin Jefferson instead of Reagor.
I don’t see no mention of Justin Jefferson riding the bench though

:dwillhuh:

im pretty sure the consensus was that most of us didnt want any parts of justin jefferson at all. i remember the anger mostly being that cowboys were able to trade up for lamb over us