Washington Post: Sony and Nintendo are not in-step with how the rest of the software industry works

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
just because you buy something, it doesn't mean you don't have an issue with it's price. I paid $60 for Link's Awakening because I didn't have the patience to wait for a price drop. I felt like a sucker paying full price for an old game, but life goes on :yeshrug:

As did I, if we truly had a problem with it we wouldn’t have paid 60 dollars for it though. There’s such a thing as self control and principles and if you’re just gonna blindly continue to play into something you really dislike then you’re really just playin yourself.

There are things I absolutely will not spend money on because I disagree with some form of how it’s marketed, priced, or whos selling it. No consumer product has that much power over me.

If you’re buying into the pricing you’re buying into it and getting on social media and complaining about it after the fact makes you look like a whiny liberal buttcake.

This is the era we’re living in where people go buy luxury/leisure consumer products the day of release and get online and complain about doing it two hours later

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
As did I, if we truly had a problem with it we wouldn’t have paid 60 dollars for it though. There’s such a thing as self control and principles and if you’re just gonna blindly continue to play into something you really dislike then you’re really just playin yourself.

There are things I absolutely will not spend money on because I disagree with some form of how it’s marketed, priced, or whos selling it. No consumer product has that much power over me.

If you’re buying into the pricing you’re buying into it and getting on social media and complaining about it after the fact makes you look like a whiny liberal buttcake.

This is the era we’re living in where people go buy luxury/leisure consumer products the day of release and get online and complain about doing it two hours later
there's levels to this shyt. according to resetera, our gaming hardware is linked to slave labor, concentration camps and genocide

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
there's levels to this shyt. according to resetera, our gaming hardware is linked to slave labor, concentration camps and genocide

Different side of the same coin. It’s pretty much screaming into abyss about a cause you 100% don’t stand by -and perpetuate- at the end of the day.

It’s like getting on social media and screaming at corporations and blocking people over sweatshop labor while being queued up on the Adidas app for new Yeezys

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
ok, I reply to a couple and just flat out laugh at a couple...

I remember when Sony was pro-consumer. This video pretty much destroyed the Xbox One.

I remember online only consoles that had to phone home to prove you owned your games and if you didn't like that they made a console for you called the Xbox 360.

I know some of yall feel some sort of loyalty to these corporations
because they make products you like but this isn't the ticket. Ideally we need the market split 3 ways so they can keep each other honest. All these companies have shown that if their marketshare gets to a certain point they'll start engaging in anti-consumer behavior.

When one of these companies becomes too successful they start dictating to the market how things are gonna be. When the success is split they end up competing with each other and the consumer wins.

I agree with most of what you said here and everything afterwards in other post. But the bold is incorrect. You see sir your system now and then does that. Who doesn't use a console online? How do you get day one patches? Wouldn't things like that not work without internet? Consoles are updated as well, even controllers. I made this exact same argument 8 years ago, this market of gamers without internet does not exist. These billion dollar mega tech corporations are not going to stop innovating because somebody in a rural area doesn't have internet.

That was the Sony Stan line as to why you can't be offline. Then they was like "I don't wanna be online at all times :scust:"

Then it was pointed out how they was happy to be always online with the PS3 which actually marketed ordered as an always online system (everyone forgets this) and the gamers of this forum patted themselves on the back for running the always online program that supposedly went towards cancer research. burning the power of cloud connected PS3 to work as a super computer.

Sony get a step closer to curing cancer - PS3 - Press Release - HEXUS.net

The very next gen Microsoft wanted to do the same thing but instead of for cancer research was going to use it for video gaming and that's when everyone PRO SONY said "no I don't want to have to check in. :damn:" Turn your Xbox One offline and then see how many games you can play. You have to check in even today. Nobody posting here keeps their console offline, or their cell phone or their laptop. it was fake fear mongering and nothing else...

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
I know right.

I have ZERO sympathy and fukks given paying the equivalent of 150 dollars in today's money for SF2 on the SNES. Yall entitled young nikkaz don't know the real skruggle. :to:

Complaining about a 70 dollar tag and shyt. Games been 60 dollars for 15 years. Mufukkin movies tickets have doubled in price since then and it's crickets. nikka please :stopitslime:
Memory cost money Rekkagump, Street fighter 2 had 32megs my nikka which was insane at the time. So that's why Capcom charged more for it and I remember going :damn: and then immediately going "But this is the best game ever so please take my money!!!!"

The next SNES game from Capcom didn't cost $80, and the industry or that platform didn't then maybe that a trend. So you're not making points, you're making yourself look like a ghost damn idiot who's desperately deflecting.

Movie tickets went up because of new technologies like 3d coupled with lesser of a need to go to the movies. Internet, bootlegging. You yourself during the PS3 era was all about your movie downloads being stored on your PS3. You was happy for 720 rips, then MKV's made your Blu-Ray collection get deep. But here you are playing dumb as fukk :gucci:

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
And the craziest thing is back then games didn’t go on sale like they do now. Games are pretty much the same as movies now. The big blockbusters come out, everyone rushes out to buy them and 3 months later it’s discounted, or in movie terms its on streaming.

There’s so many ways to avoid the 10 dollar price tag if you don’t wanna pay it that i just cannot feel empathetic toward people complaining about this. If the only justified reason you have for why this is “unfair” is FOMO then :yeshrug:
So games go on sale more often now, so let's justify a price hike on PS4 games. Sony blocking next gen features behind dlc (ghost of...) why complain, just wait.

You complain tho, what's your stance on gamepass :complain: How much did Hades cost you (I seriously have no idea) didn't you once say the series s would hold back gaming this gen? You Man-da-tory posters have no shame...
And that's STILL CHEAPER than what we paid back then for games considerably shorter.
Games were longer, then during the 360 era Sony wanted longer games because of Blu-ray. That's the first time the discussion about raising prices became a thing. Developers was like why should they have to make more game using extra resources because Sony has Blu-ray? They should charge a premium!!!. Devs basically bucked at that idea but eventually the idea of dlc came into fruition. Xbox because of no Blu-ray actually needed dlc to fit some of the content. Sony didn't, but still charged you for dlc. Even when the dlc is ALREADY ONE THE DISC" :snoop: The industry worked together to fukk us over then, and you're trying to assist them in fukking us over now...
Crazy that ppl feel the need to defend that $70 price tag. Why?
Well, 2k did it (and flopped)
EA does it (Those games flopped too)
Returnal did it (Ummm flop said a Beastie boy)
It's literally to justify their purchase. Saying anything wrong is like speaking bad about your own children in their eyes :francis:
Funnny how I’ve never seen your bytch ass do any of that though:jbhmm:
craig-no-need-to-be-upset.gif

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Sony and Nintendo are all about openly exploiting their customer base for whatever they can squeeze out of them. Nintendo is the most brazen and Sony a bit less so. Microsoft is about nickel and diming you long term but trying to at least present it like it's a value.

When Microsoft was humbled after the Xbox 360 it lead them to create more pro-consumer policies and stances and their customers benefit from that. Sony desperately needs that sort of humbling now. I mean they all get like this. Nintendo post-SNES was so high on itself they blew everything up. Microsoft post Xbox 360 thought they could dictate to the market how games were sold. Sony right now is basically like for fukk you pay.

I don't think Sony would be doing as much fukkshyt right now if everybody who was there for the ps3 humbling and stayed around for that ps3-ps4 era hadn't left over the past few years..

Sony lost a bunch of people and obviously the corporate culture changed when they moved to cali

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't think Sony would be doing as much fukkshyt right now if everybody who was there for the ps3 humbling and stayed around for that ps3-ps4 era hadn't left over the past few years..

Sony lost a bunch of people and obviously the corporate culture changed when they moved to cali

Sony hasn’t really done anything different outside of raising the price of next gen games along with like 4 other publishers.

Sony still gives away a bunch of free shyt along with next gen patches for free. If anything has changed in the last few years is gamers becoming more entitled.

Like i said, there would never be a day where nintendo offers a Nintendo collection featuring 20 games it’s released over the last 6 years. Or free monthly games with its online service

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Sony hasn’t really done anything different outside of raising the price of next gen games along with like 4 other publishers.

Sony still gives away a bunch of free shyt along with next gen patches for free. If anything has changed in the last few years is gamers becoming more entitled.

Like i said, there would never be a day where nintendo offers a Nintendo collection featuring 20 games it’s released over the last 6 years. Or free monthly games with its online service

Gospel

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
It was not 150 dollars worth of cartridge :rudy:
Nintendo licensing fees were definitely a problem, but I feel like people ignore the fact that the cost to manufacture those cartridges were in constant flux, and different games used different chip sets.

That led to popular games costing more than usual during chip shortages.

Those high price tags were usually cherry picked from ads during chip shortages.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Nintendo licensing fees were definitely a problem, but I feel like people ignore the fact that the cost to manufacture those cartridges were in constant flux, and different games used different chip sets.

That led to popular games costing more than usual during chip shortages.

Those high price tags were usually cherry picked from ads during chip shortages.

Nah, dog. The base prices of those games back then are still a hundred bucks today EASY.

50 bucks early 90s is a yard today fam. 100 bucks. And these were games with limited games and substantially lower budgets.