Washington Post: Sony and Nintendo are not in-step with how the rest of the software industry works

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Nah, dog. The base prices of those games back then are still a hundred bucks today EASY.

50 bucks early 90s is a yard today fam. 100 bucks. And these were games with limited games and substantially lower budgets.
You're looking at things in hindsight.

Games were more expensive back then but the industry overall was far less profitable than it is now. It wasn't like most of those developers were swimming in cash.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
You're looking at things in hindsight.

Games were more expensive back then but the industry overall was far less profitable than it is now. It wasn't like most of those developers were swimming in cash.

Point is that cats complaining about game prices now need to shut the fukk up. Games are actually MUCH CHEAPER WITH WAY MORE CONTENT than they were back then.

The struggle was real. :to:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Point is that cats complaining about game prices now need to shut the fukk up. Games are actually MUCH CHEAPER WITH WAY MORE CONTENT than they were back then.

And just all around more accessible. We weren’t waiting around a year for chrono trigger to hit the used game racks or PS plus lol

If you were lucky you might find some hidden gem Excalibur type game at a flea market or yard sale

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub

I remember when Sony was pro-consumer. This video pretty much destroyed the Xbox One.

I remember online only consoles that had to phone home to prove you owned your games and if you didn't like that they made a console for you called the Xbox 360.

I know some of yall feel some sort of loyalty to these corporations because they make products you like but this isn't the ticket. Ideally we need the market split 3 ways so they can keep each other honest. All these companies have shown that if their marketshare gets to a certain point they'll start engaging in anti-consumer behavior.

When one of these companies becomes too successful they start dictating to the market how things are gonna be. When the success is split they end up competing with each other and the consumer wins.

I remember watching this live they killed this conference. What happened to the fat dude? He was a cool exec

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI

I definitely agree with the price of most games being more fair today than it was back in the days.

I was just pointing out that there was alot more nuance to the cost of games back in the day, it wasn't just Nintendo being evil.

People look back at those old price tags and assume Nintendo was selling goldeneye for $120 because they could. In reality they didn't have enough components to produce enough cartridges to meet demand, and retailers took advantage of that.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I definitely agree with the price of most games being more fair today than it was back in the days.

I was just pointing out that there was alot more nuance to the cost of games back in the day, it wasn't just Nintendo being evil.

People look back at those old price tags and assume Nintendo was selling goldeneye for $120 because they could. In reality they didn't have enough components to produce enough cartridges to meet demand, and retailers took advantage of that.
Want even speaking of just the blatant gouging and shyt. Just regular games then the equivalent of a yard today.

Even Regular PS1 games are 90 dollars price wise today.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

I mean attributing good and evil to mega corporations is kind of a wasted effort to begin with. All these companies are out to make money, if they could make as much money selling fertilizer as they do video games they would be selling us that.

I have a feeling that most developers that focus on big budget single player games are gonna be raising their prices within the next couple of years. Even then i don’t think its sustainable at 70 dollars.

I almost see Sony’s single player games as their form of loss leading products. They know they can’t keep making games solely to be played a couple times for that high of development cost which is doubling this gen. They are using their games to get people to buy consoles and to play all the F2P shyt on there and thats gonna be on there

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I know right.

I have ZERO sympathy and fukks given paying the equivalent of 150 dollars in today's money for SF2 on the SNES. Yall entitled young nikkaz don't know the real skruggle. :to:

Complaining about a 70 dollar tag and shyt. Games been 60 dollars for 15 years. Mufukkin movies tickets have doubled in price since then and it's crickets. nikka please :stopitslime:
The bolded is the shyt I be saying but somehow nikkas don’t hear it. Lol