Washington Post: Sony and Nintendo are not in-step with how the rest of the software industry works

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
two companies that make most of their profits from video games, focus on making profit. more news at 10

also, there's like one more year, or at best a handful of more titles this will even apply to so in the long run it really doesn't matter
So it doesn't matter that they are charging you ps5 owners 10 more to use the PS5?

I'm not sure you even understand what's going on. Do PC gamers that own a 3080 have to pay 10 more than people with weaker GPUs?

Would that make any sense at all? So why does this make sense to you???
That $10 "upgrade" charge disappears once enough people get their hands on PS5s so they can ship native only. Cross development is hampering things rn
Except there is no cross development maaaaaaan :martin:
The PS5 version will not be different from the PS4 version. Horizon zero dawn is on PC. It runs on a bunch of different PCs right. So you call the one played on a 3080 a different version than the one on a weaker PC? Well you won't be getting 3080 differences when comparing Forbidden west on PS4 vs PS5. One will run at a steady 60 in performance mode and 30 in regular mode which is what it'll run like on PS4. Dynamic 4k vs 1080p..Haptic rumble vs regular rumble, SSD vs HDD.

All system features, Sony ain't gotta do shyt because you already assumed they would. Feel free to go to the official Sony Forbidden west website to see for yourself, they tell you what I'm saying...
right. the market leaders are the ones who write the rules
That's internet folklore, the winners usually lose by next gen. And while you translate that into total sales I'm speaking from a reality standpoint. PS3 era, While you'll remember the end results you ignore 2 things. Sony manipulated the numbers (1) and because of that you forget how much market share they lost. They didn't call any shots in that era, they got shot the fukk up and survived 50 cent style :usure:
It’s amazing how dumb people are. “Wait until it goes on sale” “they still sell the most consoles”…how can you be an adult that doesn’t comprehend even the basics of financial literacy?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That's not true at all tho, you're putting a sinister Sony spin on it. Yes, that was the narrative but the reality was we are going digital. They not in the business of waiting, they trying to innovate :ufdup: The console came with a disc drive so if you wasn't ready for the future you could live in stone age. But what Microsoft was trying to do was have the consoles communicate with the cloud while it's in sleep mode. That way the cloud could be more powerful and we could of had experiences we still haven't had yet.

The Kojima Xbox exclusive, or the destruction in crackdown 3. That's what they was trying to give us and Sony stans created the narrative that you just said. Along with the NSA using Kinect to spy on you. Kinect for TV was bad because it took power from the console, 10%. So when they removed it to please THEM our games didn't improve. So what's was the reason to kill off a good thing? Perception, because the narrative till this day lives as truth to the masses. That same mass of people now wanna convince you paying 10 more per game is ok and paying 60 a year for gamepass is dumb. Bad for the industry/etc. :smugfavre:

I remember when Sony was pro-consumer. This video pretty much destroyed the Xbox One.

I remember online only consoles that had to phone home to prove you owned your games and if you didn't like that they made a console for you called the Xbox 360.

I know some of yall feel some sort of loyalty to these corporations because they make products you like but this isn't the ticket. Ideally we need the market split 3 ways so they can keep each other honest. All these companies have shown that if their marketshare gets to a certain point they'll start engaging in anti-consumer behavior.

When one of these companies becomes too successful they start dictating to the market how things are gonna be. When the success is split they end up competing with each other and the consumer wins.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

I remember when Sony was pro-consumer. This video pretty much destroyed the Xbox One.

I remember online only consoles that had to phone home to prove you owned your games and if you didn't like that they made a console for you called the Xbox 360.

I know some of yall feel some sort of loyalty to these corporations because they make products you like but this isn't the ticket. Ideally we need the market split 3 ways so they can keep each other honest. All these companies have shown that if their marketshare gets to a certain point they'll start engaging in anti-consumer behavior.

When one of these companies becomes too successful they start dictating to the market how things are gonna be. When the success is split they end up competing with each other and the consumer wins.

PlayStation has been winning for 5 generations and have provided nothign but piff so i don’t get this line of thinking.

People keep harking back to the ps3/360 generation as some sort of proof where sony slipped up once to keep trying to prove this point. Microsoft has never provided real 50/50 competition for sony.

The only competition for sony is sony themselves. They fukked up a launch and had to clean it up later in the gen, it had nothing to do with xbox. I think some people are just mad sony absolutely mopped the floor last gen and are coming out to have a repeat this generation so far so they’re trying to rebuild this anti-consumer narrative and champion the underdog (2 trillion dollar company lol)

Look, if you like the offerings on xbox you’re gonna buy an xbox, if you like what sony provides you’re gonna buy a PlayStation. All this extra juelzing on this shyt is in vain. The people have chosen and you’re not gonna guilt trip anyone here or sony themselves about an extra 10 dollars for the next 3 games they release

Last edited:

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
two companies that make most of their profits from video games, focus on making profit. more news at 10

also, there's like one more year, or at best a handful of more titles this will even apply to so in the long run it really doesn't matter
/thread

I don’t like their business model but:yeshrug:

But that’s typical when business set their profit margins high

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It's 10 dollars...

I know right.

I have ZERO sympathy and fukks given paying the equivalent of 150 dollars in today's money for SF2 on the SNES. Yall entitled young nikkaz don't know the real skruggle. :to:

Complaining about a 70 dollar tag and shyt. Games been 60 dollars for 15 years. Mufukkin movies tickets have doubled in price since then and it's crickets. nikka please :stopitslime:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I know right.

I have ZERO sympathy and fukks given paying the equivalent of 150 dollars in today's money for SF2 on the SNES. Yall entitled young nikkaz don't know the real skruggle. :to:

Complaining about a 70 dollar tag and shyt. Games been 60 dollars for 15 years. Mufukkin movies tickets have doubled in price since then and it's crickets. nikka please :stopitslime:

And the craziest thing is back then games didn’t go on sale like they do now. Games are pretty much the same as movies now. The big blockbusters come out, everyone rushes out to buy them and 3 months later it’s discounted, or in movie terms its on streaming.

There’s so many ways to avoid the 10 dollar price tag if you don’t wanna pay it that i just cannot feel empathetic toward people complaining about this. If the only justified reason you have for why this is “unfair” is FOMO then :yeshrug:

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
And the craziest thing is back then games didn’t go on sale like they do now. Games are pretty much the same as movies now. The big blockbusters come out, everyone rushes out to buy them and 3 months later it’s discounted, or in movie terms its on streaming.

There’s so many ways to avoid the 10 dollar price tag if you don’t wanna pay it that i just cannot feel empathetic toward people complaining about this. If the only justified reason you have for why this is “unfair” is FOMO then :yeshrug:

People just being full of shyt and wanna complain like always on the internet. Goofy shyt.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I know right.

The business mode changed a long time ago.
The average game cost way more than $60. The entry price is $60 and the game is broken up into pieces and sold to you in parts. The additional parts are typically disproportionately expensive in comparison to the base game. You can get a 5 hour DLC that’s like $20 and you get main game is $60 for 50 hours.

Ok you want to raise the price then stop all microtransactions in full priced games and I’d welcome it. That won’t happen.

What people who use your argument never admit is these companies make more money off the microtransactions than the do selling the main games.

Your argument doesn’t hold up. A movie ticket gets you the whole movie. Not basic entry then DLC for the movie at an additional price.

Also to that it’s $10 remark Sony makes their real money off licensing and PSN fees when you buy additional content for 3rd party games off their store. They don’t need the extra $10 as much as their games are a honeypot to get you into their ecosystem so you’ll buy other things.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The average game cost way more than $60. The entry price is $60 and the game is broken up into pieces and sold to you in parts. The additional parts are typically disproportionately expensive in comparison to the base game. You can get a 5 hour DLC that’s like $20 and you get main game is $60 for 50 hours.

Ok you want to raise the price then stop all microtransactions in full priced games and I’d welcome it. That won’t happen.

What people who use your argument never admit is these companies make more money off the microtransactions than the do selling the main games.

Your argument doesn’t hold up. A movie ticket gets you the whole movie. Not basic entry then DLC for the movie at an additional price.

Also to that it’s $10 remark Sony makes their real money off licensing and PSN fees when you buy additional content for 3rd party games off their store. They don’t need the extra $10 as much as their games are a honeypot to get you into their ecosystem so you’ll buy other things.

And that's STILL CHEAPER than what we paid back then for games considerably shorter.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

and to this day i have never had micro transactions in sony 1st party games so obviously the 10 dollars is doing the trick

I will gladly pay 10 dollars more for games if it means i don’t have to buy seasonal packs and DLC every two months like i had to do with street fighter or any other fighting game or they don’t soft cap progression forcing you to buy boosters

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

MV5BMjMxNjY2MDU1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY1MTUwNTM@._V1_.jpg

DLC is often something not even solely integral to the main game and it doesn't have to be.

Calling DLC "pieces of the game" is like calling Spider-Man Homecoming or Iron Man 3 "DLC".
Heck, a movie ticket is a one time viewing whereas a game purchase is mines for as long as I have the disc.

Last edited: