Was the south bronx really this bad back in the day?

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I remember my dad taking me down 42nd street when 42nd was infamous and him telling me he wants me to see this because it won't be here in 2 years. Back when it was all sex shops and cheap movie theaters. It was broad day light and you could even tell some pro's were out. And the funny thing is, within 2 years 42nd street was completely different. It's all plastic now

shyt is so corny now. Back in the day, all you need was $2, a grape soda and some cheese doodles, and you're cutting school all day to watch some Kung Fu flicks on 42nd.

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
Soo apparently this nikka fly got life for raping and killing two young girls, two years after this was filmed. He raped and then threw them down an empty elevator shaft and when he heard them whimpering he climbed down and stabbed them several times to finish the job... Go nomads
damn

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
The shyt got disney-fied.

I miss watching the old Kung Fu flicks on 42nd street, or just the slick ways cats would use to not pay your fare on the train.

Dudes hoppin turnstyles like

imager.php

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
I remember my dad taking me down 42nd street when 42nd was infamous and him telling me he wants me to see this because it won't be here in 2 years. Back when it was all sex shops and cheap movie theaters. It was broad day light and you could even tell some pro's were out. And the funny thing is, within 2 years 42nd street was completely different. It's all plastic now
You want NYC to be a hellhole again? It was horrible to the families that lost people to drugs and murder, lets not say this was this best time for blacks either, living in filth and crime like animals was not a "special" time. We made no money then , degraded on a regular basis and filmed like we lived in a zoo and i hope you not missing that bs.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Damn I Remember Being Down There And My Mom Pointing Out Bums Talking About "You See This Is Whats Gonna Happen If You Dont Stay In School"

Even Though My Neighborhood Was Alot Worse lol

Thinking Back It's Crazy Just How Terrible My Neighborhood Was, Def Not A Place I Would Want My Kids

I Remember The Floor Use To Be LITTERED With Crack Vile Tops, They Were All Different Colors, Red, Green, Blue Etc.. And Kids Used To Collect Them shyts Not Knowing Any Better

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol my girl is from there. Her pops ran with Pistol pete. Real OG type shyt. God rest his soul.

Anyway, from what I know, the BX is definitly much better than it use to be. No doubt about that. I got fam who live over by Fordham road. I don't know if its dangerous over there or not. The bronx is dope tho.

My aunt lived in Harlem in the 80s, which is right next to BX. I remember she told me about how she caught these young boys throwing cats off the roof, and she made them stop...they decided to throw a cocktail threw her window, and set the crib on fire. Thankfully she got out, and moved to brooklyn, where my fam currently resides. Crazy.

I love NYC. Aint nothing like it.
now see i dont understand that "i love new york aint nothing like it" mentality. when we're talking about Grime and Gutta.

i know a lot of us grew up in that nonsense or around it. i'm from L.A. raised in them 80's and 90's. so i remember. i was born and raised in south central. you aint tellin me nothin. but with that said. i dont miss that nonsense one bit. not even a little bit. when i grew up and went to college and got up out the hood. then experienced life outside of the hood. i realized what i missed most of my life. just a simple peaceful walk down the street without having to be on "nucca what?" Standby 24/7. being able to play ball without almost getting into a few fist fights cause somebody's temper is always flaring in the hood. like you could just BE. lets not talk about how most times the hood doesnt have anything to do there. vs other communities. lets not talk about the stench of the hood, the trash, etc.

i dont miss that 3rd world living at all. so it always amazes me when peopel say they do, or say stuff like "i love that grime and guttaness. " sure there's an edge to it that some dude from the burbs doesnt have. but you wouldnt have to be edgy if you didnt grow up in your own little war zone. you know that hood living retarded us when you hear us say we loved the worse parts of that nonsense.

but props for the vids and pics.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
now see i dont understand that "i love new york aint nothing like it" mentality. when we're talking about Grime and Gutta.

i know a lot of us grew up in that nonsense or around it. i'm from L.A. raised in them 80's and 90's. so i remember. i was born and raised in south central. you aint tellin me nothin. but with that said. i dont miss that nonsense one bit. not even a little bit. when i grew up and went to college and got up out the hood. then experienced life outside of the hood. i realized what i missed most of my life. just a simple peaceful walk down the street without having to be on "nucca what?" Standby 24/7. being able to play ball without almost getting into a few fist fights cause somebody's temper is always flaring in the hood. like you could just BE. lets not talk about how most times the hood doesnt have anything to do there. vs other communities. lets not talk about the stench of the hood, the trash, etc.

i dont miss that 3rd world living at all. so it always amazes me when peopel say they do, or say stuff like "i love that grime and guttaness. " sure there's an edge to it that some dude from the burbs doesnt have. but you wouldnt have to be edgy if you didnt grow up in your own little war zone. you know that hood living retarded us when you hear us say we loved the worse parts of that nonsense.

but props for the vids and pics.
'

Here's the thing though. Coming up that way, we thought everyone lived that way, so of course I'm still going to miss it. To me, it was just waking up everyday, living and enjoying life. People act as if living in those conditions was 24/7 squalor. Nah...we still had fun and enjoyed ourselves. Its not until I left for college that I realized how ass backwards it was to experience seeing niqqas getting stabbed in the neck with pencils, seeing their lives seep away on dirty pavement, or some drugged out clown trying to rob a group of us of our bike using a hypodermic needle...AFTER someone from our crew just stole the bike from someone else!!

:smh:

shyt was abnormal as fukk...but it was home in a perverted way.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
No One Misses Death, Violence And All The Dangers That Came With Living Back Then

But Just The Vibe Of Living In New York At That Time Is Something I Would Never Trade

I Loved It Honestly, Im Proud To Be Where Im From And Had A Blast Along The Way

I Could See Why Some People Would Wonder Why Though.

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
You want NYC to be a hellhole again? It was horrible to the families that lost people to drugs and murder, lets not say this was this best time for blacks either, living in filth and crime like animals was not a "special" time. We made no money then , degraded on a regular basis and filmed like we lived in a zoo and i hope you not missing that bs.

Where did I say I want it to be a hellhole again ? But the alternative is turning it into a culture less plastic playground for hipsters and yuppies ?

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
No One Misses Death, Violence And All The Dangers That Came With Living Back Then

But Just The Vibe Of Living In New York At That Time Is Something I Would Never Trade

I Loved It Honestly, Im Proud To Be Where Im From And Had A Blast Along The Way

I Could See Why Some People Would Wonder Why Though.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
The story is the same for a lot of big cities back in those days.
The projects were established by that point, and hoods were in fool motion.
For some reason the people who planned out those developments couldnt foresee stacking poor people in urban environments like that would be a bad idea.

I always bring this shyt up when people complain about crime in Chicago...its bad, but its been worse.

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Damn I Remember Being Down There And My Mom Pointing Out Bums Talking About "You See This Is Whats Gonna Happen If You Dont Stay In School"

Even Though My Neighborhood Was Alot Worse lol

Thinking Back It's Crazy Just How Terrible My Neighborhood Was, Def Not A Place I Would Want My Kids

I Remember The Floor Use To Be LITTERED With Crack Vile Tops, They Were All Different Colors, Red, Green, Blue Etc.. And Kids Used To Collect Them shyts Not Knowing Any Better

lol word with the crack vials..them shyts owned the sidewalks and the school yard by me.

I remember in elementary school they told us not to take any "candy" or stickers with cartoon characters on them from strangers. They would tell us dont take the stickers cause you had to lick it and it put it on your skin and it was laced with drugs :huhldup:.

Them nikkaz back then was ruthless back then and gave no fukks. :pacspit:

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
'

Here's the thing though. Coming up that way, we thought everyone lived that way, so of course I'm still going to miss it. To me, it was just waking up everyday, living and enjoying life. People act as if living in those conditions was 24/7 squalor. Nah...we still had fun and enjoyed ourselves. Its not until I left for college that I realized how ass backwards it was to experience seeing niqqas getting stabbed in the neck with pencils, seeing their lives seep away on dirty pavement, or some drugged out clown trying to rob a group of us of our bike using a hypodermic needle...AFTER someone from our crew just stole the bike from someone else!!

:smh:

shyt was abnormal as fukk...but it was home in a perverted way.

Exactly. I grew up in a mob neighborhood (Ozone Park), the mob was a normal way of life. People watch movies like Goodfellas and love it for the characters and the stories and just how out there everything was. Coming from that environment, we love it just as much but for us it's like watching a movie about the neighborhood. We laugh at things the average viewer doesn't even notice. Around middle school my parents moved out to Long Island and it was such a culture shock for me that my peers didn't know who John Gotti was. I went from being 7-8 years old seeing some mobsters pistol whiped a guy right in front of me and thrown into the back of car like it was nothing to being around Italian kids that didn't even know what the mafia was.

It was :mindblown: to me lol.

Even if you're a law abiding citizen and you do the right thing with your life, you would be surprised how deep some of the negative things run in you. And I'm not even talking crime wise just ways to handle yourself in public. I remember the first time I went to dinner with my GF and her friend the friends husband. And I was amazed how no one cursed at the dinner table or was loud when speaking lol.