Was the south bronx really this bad back in the day?

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
NY gang culture>>>>LA gang culture

Hoodz.Dvd.New.York.Bloods(Front).jpg

Tha Truth

A very very nice girl
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
Man I live in soundview and south Bronx still ain't shyt. I still see those same raggedy ass bum buildings. From my terrace I have a view of hunts point and those places still look unfortunate. And it's sad to see because I also have a view of the manhattan skyline and having to look at the two is depressing.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I lived in NYC from '87-'94 but I was lucky cos I lived in a part of Queens (Cambria Heights and Laurelton aka 'LA') that was a lot safer than other parts of NY. But I have fam that live in the Bronx and Brooklyn and I remember when we used to visit them and seeing crackheads openly getting high on the stairwells and shyt like it was nothing and hearing gunshots all the time.

I remember my older cousins in the Bronx used to fukk with me, calling me "Queens boy". This was around the "bridge is over" period where the animosity was still fresh and they were feeling themselves. I remember in later years they used to say how Queens schools was p*ssy compared to the Bronx and all that shyt but they always said if I ever had beef in school they would come down there.

Even in Brooklyn (Bed Stuy) when I was like 9 or 10 years old I remember getting approached just outside a store by a group dudes who were like 16 years old that I think were Decept. That day they were just fukking with everybody that day. My older cousin who saw it was across the street and knew one of them and told them I was related to him and they backed off. I remember when there used to be this respect/fear of Brooklyn. Whenever you had problems it was always "my peoples from Brooklyn are gonna fukk you up" lol. People used to say that all the time.

Yeah the whole of NYC was just loony back then. I haven't been back in years cos most of my fam who was there at the time have moved to Florida and other parts of the states, but the last time I was there I was surprised at how much it changed.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I don't miss those days.

It was different. In 84', when a Brooklyn niqqa said he was going uptown, it was to be on some breakdancing shyt.

In 85', when a Brooklyn niqqa said he was going uptown, he was going to get "some work" to bring back around the way. shyt was just so grimmy and niqqas went from shooting to let you know they had a gun to niqqas getting shot.

I don't miss it....the transition was so startling.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
shyt was bad in the 70's/early 80's.

My mom grew up in Bushwick in the late 70's when arson was really bad and used to count the buildings on fire on her way home from the train.

Pretty much. NY was a much different city then it was now man. I mean I'm not even talking about the thuggin, that was a given. You couldn't be seen in certain spots after 8 or 9, and I would even say 5 or 6, if you were a woman, and if you were a kid, there was no :sitdown: to keep molesterers in check. You just saw those dudes on park benches just loo looking at kids like :smugfavre: and :drool:. Crazy times man. To be honest Ed Koch and Juliani did a lot to clean NY up for better or worse.

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
I remember in 2nd grade so this is back in 1992 we took a class trip to the Bronx Zoo and I just remember being amazed at how it looked like a warzone. For whatever reason I thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw. As a 2nd grader and white boy from Queens you have no idea about the crime, violence, drugs, and poverty that is associated with the neighborhood you just see something that looks like a warzone.

It's funny though, you talk to the older generation of NY'ers, those who were old enough to really experience NY back in the 70's and 80's and so many say how much more fun and exciting NYC was back in the day. With all the crime, drugs, poverty, city worker lay offs, sanitation strikes, the old timers still romanticize the old NYC. They're happy the city is cleaned up and it is safer but they still miss the old NYC.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I remember in 2nd grade so this is back in 1992 we took a class trip to the Bronx Zoo and I just remember being amazed at how it looked like a warzone. For whatever reason I thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw. As a 2nd grader and white boy from Queens you have no idea about the crime, violence, drugs, and poverty that is associated with the neighborhood you just see something that looks like a warzone.

It's funny though, you talk to the older generation of NY'ers, those who were old enough to really experience NY back in the 70's and 80's and so many say how much more fun and exciting NYC was back in the day. With all the crime, drugs, poverty, city worker lay offs, sanitation strikes, the old timers still romanticize the old NYC. They're happy the city is cleaned up and it is safer but they still miss the old NYC.

The shyt got disney-fied.

I miss watching the old Kung Fu flicks on 42nd street, or just the slick ways cats would use to not pay your fare on the train. Just a cool scallywag shyt that was a part of the culture here.

shyt is not even organic NYC anymore. Real New Yorkers have moved out of the city now. What's left is....I don't know.

Pedro Negro

Reefer & Sneakers
Daps
Reppin
New York fukkin' City
Shoutout to the OLD Times Square, squeegee men, Playland Arcade, XXX & Kung Fu movie theaters & crack vials in the streets.

I remember back in the early 90's I believe they used to call this one stretch of Bushwick "The Well" because it was an endless supply of drugs on a 2 block stretch.

Think it was Knickerbocker from Starr to Troutman if I remember correctly and my mom threatened my life if she ever saw my ass around there.

Blown Moon

All Star
Daps
Soo apparently this nikka fly got life for raping and killing two young girls, two years after this was filmed. He raped and then threw them down an empty elevator shaft and when he heard them whimpering he climbed down and stabbed them several times to finish the job... Go nomads

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
The shyt got disney-fied.

I miss watching the old Kung Fu flicks on 42nd street, or just the slick ways cats would use to not pay your fare on the train. Just a cool scallywag shyt that was a part of the culture here.

shyt is not even organic NYC anymore. Real New Yorkers have moved out of the city now. What's left is....I don't know.

I remember my dad taking me down 42nd street when 42nd was infamous and him telling me he wants me to see this because it won't be here in 2 years. Back when it was all sex shops and cheap movie theaters. It was broad day light and you could even tell some pro's were out. And the funny thing is, within 2 years 42nd street was completely different. It's all plastic now