Was The Last of us Part II one of the most forgettable games of all time?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Because the entire thematic narrative of the game was the cyclical nature of blind revenge and how it accomplishes absolutely nothing. That having empathy in trying times is where humanity shines.

Joel went out of his way to kill people, for fear that they might hurt Ellie, and unknowingly signed his death warrant. His actions pretty much created “Terminator Abby”.

This isn’t a game about player choice and player agency. Abby choosing not to kill Ellie or Dina, after Ellie murdered her friends (Including a pregnant woman) is Abby showing growth and empathy for Ellie despite her hatred for her. She knows how easy it is to be motivated solely by revenge and she knows it does absolutely nothing to stop the hurt.

Having Abby kill Ellie defeats the entire narrative purpose of the game and ruins her whole arc.

Same with Ellie. Her insistence on finding and killing Abby had less to do with her hatred of Abby but due to her inability to forgive herself because she wasn’t able to truly reconcile with Joel’s choices before she lost him. Her killing Abby does nothing for her character or makes her grow in anyway.
Oh I absolutely get that the writers wanted to preach a sermon about revenge. My argument is that their method for that sermon derailed it to the point that it was entirely worthless. Overshadowing the narrative's message is Abby and the fanbase hatred for her and what happened to Joel. That's always going to be this game's legacy. Whenever this game is mentioned most people will think of that before they even think ya know that was a pointed message about the ills of seeking revenge.

If that was going to be the case why not seek to entertain the fans more than preach to them and preserve narratives, arcs, and messages they aren't even interested in hearing anymore?

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Game itself is heat. Best gameplay in a TPS that I’ve played since mgsv.

Story was a bit of a slog tho. Not bad just very long. Several points I thought were the end and nope, there’s more.

gaming equivalent of nutted and she still sucking.

Last edited:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Game itself is heat. Best gameplay in a TPS that I’ve played since mgsv.

Story was a bit of a slog tho. Not bad just very long. Several points I thought where the end and nope, there’s more.

gaming equivalent of nutted and she still sucking.

Between this and Uncharted 4, this is looking to be Druckmann's thing. Homie needs an editor/closer to wrap shyt up in a reasonable fashion BAD.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This could’ve been a thread where you actually discussed legitimate flaws with the game but you ruined it from the start with the hyperbole in the thread title.

Because that‘s clearly what the forum is lacking :russ:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
what :gucci:

how was introducing new characters into a sequel a retcon of the original game when the new characters had no reason to be in the prequel
Ok do a DLC in the previous game and have circumstance introduce Ellie and Abby as children. Maybe in the initial outbreak they are brought together and become friends for a time and then are separated and later in life the events with Abby and Joel happen and we go from friends to foes. Maybe do that instead of doing Left Behind.

Introducing Abby by having her kill him when we don't know jack shyt about her at the time then trying to in reverse make her a sympathetic character fell flat on it's face. The audience really needed some sort of positive association to her before being given that negative.

I'm going to take this to an extreme but it's to prove a point. If someone killed your father would you really want to be chained and forced to interact with them to discover why they did it or would you be so upset over your father's death that there would be nothing his killer could say to redeem themselves to you? Joel wasn't our father but he damn near was Ellie's and she was such a likable little squirt as a youth the audience related to her and that made Joel father like.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok do a DLC in the previous game and have circumstance introduce Ellie and Abby as children. Maybe in the initial outbreak they are brought together and become friends for a time and then are separated and later in life the events with Abby and Joel happen and we go from friends to foes. Maybe do that instead of doing Left Behind.

no-bugs-bunny.gif

new characters can be introduced into a sequel without them needing to rewrite past events

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
no-bugs-bunny.gif

new characters can be introduced into a sequel without them needing to rewrite past events
And those new characters can also be almost universally hated by the fanbase derailing the conversation about the sequel as this character did.

A second idea would be to do the first half of the game from Abby's perspective not Ellie's. At least then people would have gotten to know her and the crew before they did what they did. Plot twist in the middle of the game is you were on a mission to kill Joel the whole time and you didn't know it instead of the plot twist being she killed Joel at the beginning now let's get to know his killer a little better so we can feel empathy for her and the red shirts she loved.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A second idea would be to do the first half of the game from Abby's perspective not Ellie's. At least then people would have gotten to know her and the crew before they did what they did. Plot twist in the middle of the game is you were on a mission to kill Joel the whole time and you didn't know it instead of the plot twist being she killed Joel at the beginning now let's get to know his killer a little better so we can feel empathy for her and the red shirts she loved.

nope, spending 12 hours with a character while they try to keep the actual main point of her mission hidden from the player just to have it be the shock twist that it’s Joel is the badly written game people claim the version we got is

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
It's not forgettable for the very reason of the controversy. The fact people hated the character switching, deaths, and ending is exactly why people won't forget it. shyt I won't play the game for those very reasons but I def will always remember the aura of that game

Hostile

All Star
Daps
Nah. I'd take what we got over this scenario. That's been done too many times in movies/tv shows.