Was The Last of us Part II one of the most forgettable games of all time?

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Their decision blew up so much Laura Bailey was getting death threats and all she did was voice Abby. Way to piss off the fanbase.

So, the takeaway is that it's cool to send death threats over something as silly as a video game if you disagree with the plot?

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
The game is a rental at best and can be finished in one weekend. There's nothing to go back to once you know what happens, there's no reason to play it again

I’m just saying that the game is forgettable once you finish it. Nothing that had been said on this thread that changes that fact.

Forgettable is definitely the wrong word, but I think he's right on this part.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Yes

I can’t even replay it for a second time and I replayed the first one hella times without getting bored.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Loved how visceral & dynamic the combat felt in TLOU2. No game has captured that feeling of desperation and violence yet, imo. It isn't glamorous, it's tense, ugly, and brutal. By far my favorite aspect of the game. Anyone still bytching two years later over "muh Joel :(," is a clown. I didn't give a damn about Abby initially but by the end, I was over it all. Story resonated with me in that regard as vengeance by that point had come at entirely too steep of a cost. You kill off a middle aged white guy and beards and nikka nerds lose the will to live themselves.

FOH.

I liked Joel despite all of his faults as those faults made him human, but it wasn't that deep in the brutal reality of that universe and when you consider the life he led, even BEFORE he massacred that hospital.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The game should have ended with Ellie's side and you killing Abby. There wasn't a way to make the audience empathize with Abby and her crew. Maybe if they weren't retconned into the series and actually existed as properly developed characters in the first game. Instead or introduction to them was them doing something heinous to a beloved character. From that point on the why of why they did it didn't really matter. It's fukk them for life.

fukk Abby and fukk Gabi too.

what :gucci:

how was introducing new characters into a sequel a retcon of the original game when the new characters had no reason to be in the prequel

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Have not played but was gonna cop...

So the game not good?

I thought it was like top 5 game of the year it came out? :dwillhuh:
No its a good game. It is drastically longer than the original. Also it kinda resets in the middle if I remember it right. You have to re-earn upgrades. It's been a while but I remember having unlimited shivs and losing it mid game.

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This could’ve been a thread where you actually discussed legitimate flaws with the game but you ruined it from the start with the hyperbole in the thread title.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So, the takeaway is that it's cool to send death threats over something as silly as a video game if you disagree with the plot?
I only spoke of what happened and why it happened. Plenty of sequels come out to games that don't upset their fanbase and are nothing but praised. Plenty of games kill off major characters and that isn't held against the game. Take Final Fantasy VII. It killed off a major character and almost nobody sees that as a negative. It helped elevate the game to greater heights.

You're the one that suggested it was cool to send death threats to someone. I never presented that argument because I don't agree with it.

The whole way they handled Abby was terrible. The way they tried to hide the second playable character only to force fans to play as her. I guess it was supposed to be some both sides shyt. Seems like it just further posed people off. While I haven't beat the game I come to find out you can't either kill Abby as Ellie or kill Ellie as Abby. So the two people responsible for all this death done even get what's coming to them like Joel does. If we don't get to kill Abby then have both of them die.

Sounds like a completely unsatisfying ending. Why couldn't the player be presented with the choice on both ends? Probably would have been more interesting to let the player decided.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I only spoke of what happened and why it happened. Plenty of sequels come out to games that don't upset their fanbase and are nothing but praised. Plenty of games kill off major characters and that isn't held against the game. Take Final Fantasy VII. It killed off a major character and almost nobody sees that as a negative. It helped elevate the game to greater heights.

You're the one that suggested it was cool to send death threats to someone. I never presented that argument because I don't agree with it.

The whole way they handled Abby was terrible. The way they tried to hide the second playable character only to force fans to play as her. I guess it was supposed to be some both sides shyt. Seems like it just further posed people off. While I haven't beat the game I come to find out you can't either kill Abby as Ellie or kill Ellie as Abby. So the two people responsible for all this death done even get what's coming to them like Joel does. If we don't get to kill Abby then have both of them die.

Sounds like a completely unsatisfying ending. Why couldn't the player be presented with the choice on both ends? Probably would have been more interesting to let the player decided.
Everything doesn't need to be player choice

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Because the entire thematic narrative of the game was the cyclical nature of blind revenge and how it accomplishes absolutely nothing. That having empathy in trying times is where humanity shines.

Joel went out of his way to kill people, for fear that they might hurt Ellie, and unknowingly signed his death warrant. His actions pretty much created “Terminator Abby”.

This isn’t a game about player choice and player agency. Abby choosing not to kill Ellie or Dina, after Ellie murdered her friends (Including a pregnant woman) is Abby showing growth and empathy for Ellie despite her hatred for her. She knows how easy it is to be motivated solely by revenge and she knows it does absolutely nothing to stop the hurt.

Having Abby kill Ellie defeats the entire narrative purpose of the game and ruins her whole arc.

Same with Ellie. Her insistence on finding and killing Abby had less to do with her hatred of Abby but due to her inability to forgive herself because she wasn’t able to truly reconcile with Joel’s choices before she lost him. Her killing Abby does nothing for her character or makes her grow in anyway.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Meh. I just don't see this as something to get so worked up about. It's entertainment where you didn't like the writing. Doesn't mean it's automatically terrible, just means you didn't like it.

But looking at it from a writing standpoint, making it the player's choice would've invalidated the rest of the story, though. The whole point is that both Abby and Ellie have become consumed by revenge, and everyone around them are paying the price for it. Having either of them kill each other makes everything else violence for the sake of creating more violence. Also would've had them falling into the modern prestige entertainment trope of featuring an irredeemable protagonist.

Now, where they fukked up is pulling the trigger on killing Joel too early. I know they wanted that Psycho style first act surprise death, but they probably would've been able to get more out of delaying the kill, and having there be a bit more suspense over both Joel and Abby figuring out who the other is, and letting the player watch Joel get deeper into a situation everyone but him knows he can't get himself out of. Just felt a bit rushed when I played it.