Was The Last of us Part II one of the most forgettable games of all time?

Daps
Reppin
controversy aside, the game didn't bring anything new to the table. Most people hated the character switch halfway through the game. And the biggest issue with it was that the game didn't have a satisfactory ending it. There was no pay-off to it.

The game is a rental at best and can be finished in one weekend. There's nothing to go back to once you know what happens, there's no reason to play it again.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Most people hated the character switch halfway through the game.
They lost me with this. It was so forced and it extended the game too long. It had just got good too right before they switched characters.

You could tell the makers were really proud of it but what they did to Joel and then making you play as her. It was just too much. fukk Abby.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Forgettable and 2 years after the fact there's still discussion about the game. People feel some type of way about what happened to Joel to such an extent that it prevents them from enjoying a classic game. If the spoilers don't happen we'd have a better perspective from those that hate the game. I wish it didn't go down like that.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:Contrary to popular belief, nobody likes LGBTQ bullshyt, not even LGBTQ people.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Forgettable and 2 years after the fact there's still discussion about the game. People feel some type of way about what happened to Joel to such an extent that it prevents them from enjoying a classic game. If the spoilers don't happen we'd have a better perspective from those that hate the game. I wish it didn't go down like that.
The game should have ended with Ellie's side and you killing Abby. There wasn't a way to make the audience empathize with Abby and her crew. Maybe if they weren't retconned into the series and actually existed as properly developed characters in the first game. Instead or introduction to them was them doing something heinous to a beloved character. From that point on the why of why they did it didn't really matter. It's fukk them for life.

fukk Abby and fukk Gabi too.

Daps
Neil used TLOU2 as a experiment and unfortunate sacrifice for objective story telling, where the meanings behind the story are the characters vs. the characters in of themselves, who only help represent the microcosm. Neil focused on the meaning rather the characters, even though, as smart/genius as he is, I think he genuinely underestimated how many people (not just neckbeards) are attached to Joel and how much they would hate Abby or refuse to try to understand her story at least. The game was brilliant for me until the ending which was horrible. However with the right framing it can be a deep and I appreciate it now but I think they should have kept the dark tone and left the plays truly feeling empty by killing Abby in that state like Neil originally intended.
I appreciate TLOU2 because now more devs are going to take risks in story telling and characters. More experimentation but the key is the game and story has to be quality. One criticism I agree with is that the conversations aren't as deep and meaningful. A lot of stories follow themes of idealism and the author's own subjectivity while TLOU2's story shows how our objectivity is our subjectivity, and what happens when a story is told objectively, as a series of events with each event being a consequence of the 1 before it

Last edited:

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
The game should have ended with Ellie's side and you killing Abby. There wasn't a way to make the audience empathize with Abby and her crew. Maybe if they weren't retconned into the series and actually existed as properly developed characters in the first game. Instead or introduction to them was them doing something heinous to a beloved character. From that point on the why of why they did it didn't really matter. It's fukk them for life.

fukk Abby and fukk Gabi too.

How are they going to develop the characters if they don't fit into the story until part 2? Joel had to shoot up the hospital for Part 2 to take off. Abby got revenge on only Joel, and left. She could've took care of Tommy and Ellie right there but she spared them. She could've taken care of Ellie and Dina but she spared them, and the 2nd time was because of Lev even though Ellie deserved to die. That's character development, because Abby had nothing to live for after Ellie killed Owen. It's a better story than it gets credit for because it doesnt take the easy or expected path.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
every fanbase gets mad about delays :ld:
yeah true but the subreddit at the time was like 10 times worse than others

usually they tell people to calm down and all that that subreddit was doubling down on the hate they had for the developers
then the whole Joel thing is another story within itself