was Michael a better Godfather then Vito?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Vito. Michael was a great don but because he couldn't remain human he lost a key aspect that made Vito such a great don. Those films are ultimately about kids and their parents and how they can never live up to their parents or the constant chase of being better than their parents. Michael, in a way, disappointed Vito by being in the family business but he also wanted Michael to understand the importance of family when in truth, Michael couldn't care less about family until the end of his life and by that time, it was too late. Vito understood people better than Michael and knew how to maintain relationships, something Michael barely gave a shyt about. Sonny was too hot headed, Fredo was too weak and Michael was too ruthless...All three of them were parts of Vito but he had everything and knew when to show each facet and use it in his job

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
between GF2, the book, and the deleted scenes theres plenty of backstory on his rise to power. his spot is solidified as best movie don ever.

actually yo, i suggest all you GF fans to watch the deleted scenes from these 3 movies. i have the special edition trilogy set that came out a long time ago but theres like no joke an hours worth of deleted scenes. and you can watch them all back to back like a movie. theres mad deleted scenes from the young vito days
Better yet, watch it with Coppola explaining certain things about the movie. shyt is eye opening and made me even more of a fan

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
The student will never be greater than the teacher. Vito by a mile. Vito knew that politics would progress the family more than getting into legitimate rackets. Their money would've never been respected

Mike knew that, doe. I mean, even at the beginning of the first one, he was talkin' to Kay like he didn't approve of his families' business.

Even down the line, he felt some way talkin' to Senator Geary when he came at him sideways overchargin' him for the license
on the new hotel. Senator didn't respect their money, but he was gonna tax 'em for it...

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Vito. Michael was a great don but because he couldn't remain human he lost a key aspect that made Vito such a great don. Those films are ultimately about kids and their parents and how they can never live up to their parents or the constant chase of being better than their parents. Michael, in a way, disappointed Vito by being in the family business but he also wanted Michael to understand the importance of family when in truth, Michael couldn't care less about family until the end of his life and by that time, it was too late. Vito understood people better than Michael and knew how to maintain relationships, something Michael barely gave a shyt about. Sonny was too hot headed, Fredo was too weak and Michael was too ruthless...All three of them were parts of Vito but he had everything and knew when to show each facet and use it in his job

The bold is kinda what I got...

I mean, Michael always had his "family" there with him, but he didn't appreciate that they were a family.
Vito, got his "family" because he appreciated people who helped him like family.

Remember - he pretty much lost his whole family when he was 10, and was in a new country all by himself.
So he was loyal to everyone who fucced wit' him...Carmella, Abbandando, Clemenza, Tessio, Tommasino -
he was always lookin' out for his people.

Mike had a sense of family, but it was a general sense we all feel like "don't fucc wit' my family" - off GP.
Mike wasn't trippin' off Vito until niccas tried to kill him.
Mike wasn't really close with Sonny until then, either.
Mike played Connie off like she was bird (she kinda was, but you know).
Mike didn't give a chit about Fredo until he "took sides against the family".
as mentioned, he played Tom off on the reg.
He kept Kay locked up like property niccas best not fucc wit', and he didn't even realize she didn't wanna live like that.

I mean, even when you look at the scene when they're waiting for Vito at the end of 2...
even though he was there physically, it's like he wasn't even "there" in his mind.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

I mean, Michael always had his "family" there with him, but he didn't appreciate that they were a family.
Vito, got his "family" because he appreciated people who helped him like family.

Remember - he pretty much lost his whole family when he was 10, and was in a new country all by himself.
So he was loyal to everyone who fucced wit' him...Carmella, Abbandando, Clemenza, Tessio, Tommasino -

Mike had a sense of family, but it was a general sense we all feel like "don't fucc wit' my family" - off GP.
He kept Kay locked up like property niccas best not fucc wit', and he didn't even realize she didn't wanna live like that.

I mean, even when you look at the scene when they're waiting for Vito at the end of 2...
even though he was there physically, it's like he wasn't even "there" in his mind.

Cause he didn't want to be a part of the family business. Sonny teased him about that shyt so it feels like Mike always had this thing about being better than the family although I do feel he loved his dad a lot and loved his brothers and mom but he kept too much distance because of the war and because he didn't want to be a part of that lifestyle

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That was the result of the event that I think made Michael who he was in a lot of ways when his first wife was killed in an assassination attempt meant for him. He always kept people at arms length before that still cared but when he lost her because of his life and family business his heart got colder because he realized that anything he cared about could be taken away if he was in that life. So he tried not to care about anything and the person he did care about in Kay he went overboard trying to protect.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Cause he didn't want to be a part of the family business. Sonny teased him about that shyt so it feels like Mike always had this thing about being better than the family although I do feel he loved his dad a lot and loved his brothers and mom but he kept too much distance because of the war and because he didn't want to be a part of that lifestyle

That's what i'm sayin', breaux...but the "family business" is two-fold. He was so engrossed in the business,
he didn't pay as much attention to the family...

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
That was the result of the event that I think made Michael who he was in a lot of ways when his first wife was killed in an assassination attempt meant for him. He always kept people at arms length before that still cared but when he lost her because of his life and family business his heart got colder because he realized that anything he cared about could be taken away if he was in that life. So he tried not to care about anything and the person he did care about in Kay he went overboard trying to protect.

That's a good point...

mr x

Superstar
Daps
i always thought sonnys b*stard child vincent corleone would have been a better don than Sonny. I really liked Vincent's character in GF3. he was hot headed but seemed more intelligent than sonny ever was. i just liked up the character page for him on wiki for shyts and giggles and i came upon this though i dont know how true it is:

"Coppola has said that Vincent is, roughly speaking, an amalgamation of the five Corleone family males. Coppola describes Vincent as having Vito's cunning, Michael's ruthlessness, Fredo's sensitivity, Sonny's fiery temper and Tom Hagen's absolute loyalty."

a mixture of all 5? :banderas:

did you read the part about plans they had for him in part 4 tho?...

didn't look good for the kid

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
I realized that after watching it about 5-6 times. He felt like that even when he was the Don. Like he always wanted to be acknowledged as the smartest dude to ever do it. I kinda equate him to Jay Z in a way. He does all of these things to legitimize himself but that side of the other game will never respect him no matter how hard he tries to fit in

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That's what i'm sayin', breaux...but the "family business" is two-fold. He was so engrossed in the business,
he didn't pay as much attention to the family...

Word, I feel you which is why I think Vito is the better don because ultimately he remained a good man despite actions he's taken. And part of being a good man is taking care of your family and paying attention to them and Michael lacked on all fronts