was Michael a better Godfather then Vito?

Payroll

Insomnia Addict
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
GMB
Vito had more tact and finesse... Read the book, the opening scene is a good example of this. He was like Prop Joe, every act of kindness was leveraged.

Michael however was equally as ruthless but more secluded. He was as much the wolf as Vito just not a peoples person. So he handled all moves by the gun. He was Marlo. All the slick moves under his regime came from Tom who learned that from being Vitos Consigliere/Lawyer.

Imo Michael was the better Don because of how cold blooded he was. He was able to reach the "Pezzonovante" and put them in his pocket. Ironically what Vito had aspired for him to become.

Last edited:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Mike.

1. He doesn't have the attachment to family that Vito does. Vito backs down from a war to protect Michael and Fredo after he sees what happens to Sonny. Michael kills Fredo because he is a weakspot.
2. Vito only controlled his NY territory. By the end of 3, Michael controls the world.

@Food Mane how does Michael control the world at the end of Godfather 3? Is he more powerful than the President of the United States?

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Fat Clemenza would have made the best Don out of the three amicos.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I want to say both. Michael clearly took the family to much higher heights, put it in position to be legitimate and possibly allow a member of the family to "hold the strings." But Vito recognized that Michael had the ability to do it, and he put him in position to succeed.

But if you look at it like this, Michael failed to do what Vito did: find a successor/protector to take control of the family and continue putting it in good position. Michael's successor destroyed the family, at least according to what Copolla planned on doing in a fourth film.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Not sure if I commented here so I might contradict myself, but you can't compare the 2. Vito built an empire from nothing. Michael was transitioning it into a new era.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure if I commented here so I might contradict myself, but you can't compare the 2. Vito built an empire from nothing. Michael was transitioning it into a new era.

Vito was one of 5 NYC bosses when he dies. Michael has a controlling interest in the world's biggest landowner when he dies.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Tom HAgen should have been the Don, he was Vito down to a t, but not italian.
fukked up when you think about it.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Unrelated but I've always felt GF3 should of went with Mikes son being put in the same situation Mike was and how he would of handled it. Making him a opera singer and not even wanting to sniff the family buisness killed any sort of sequels or spins to the story IMO.

...but I think that was for the best.

I mean, Michael wanted to have a "legit" son and we know Kay didn't want her son in that life.
Even though they never really say it plainly, I think Michael changed his mind during his "rise to power" (especially since it seems they tried to play Anthony like he was "soft") and wanted a son he could teach "the business" to...which imo is why it was such a big deal that:

- Kay had dat 'bortio
- Vincent came out of left field

The_Unchosen_One

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis
I want to say both. Michael clearly took the family to much higher heights, put it in position to be legitimate and possibly allow a member of the family to "hold the strings." But Vito recognized that Michael had the ability to do it, and he put him in position to succeed.

But if you look at it like this, Michael failed to do what Vito did: find a successor/protector to take control of the family and continue putting it in good position. Michael's successor destroyed the family, at least according to what Copolla planned on doing in a fourth film.

Should've just worked to redo the third film... :hhh: