War For The Planet Of The Apes (Official Thread)

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so all the humans are officially wiped out right? Even though that last group was inadverdant.

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
Yeah had he gone down that route, it would've sullied it a bit for me. Also that ending was foreshadowed beautifully and him not doing it may be more than just showing he's good but that he's also superior
Thinking back on it for a second he wouldn't even have had to, tbh. The colonel would've offed himself or just succumbed to his new condition :ehh:
he was superior the moment he decided to fight for all apes without being the aggressor :goddamnisaygoddamnmayne: RIP Ceasar :cryingsalutemayne:the trillest ape :phewmayne:

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Another problem I had with this film was the scale didn't get any bigger. For some reason I just expected the scale to be larger. Why didn't they jump on the opportunity to introduce more world wide apes?

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The film had me feeling weird with the racial/ethnic parallels.

movie basically implied the disease infected race traitor WW will destroy the white race.

there was also no "ape empowerment. " they basically went out like cowards that got lucky

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
What you mean breh ?
I always felt like the scale was going to get larger. We have a battle in Dawn, and it seemed like they could have went larger with this one. Maybe have ape groups all over just like they have humans everywhere. We know humans exist in more than one place. Why not apes? Or maybe we are still seeing a group recovering from the previous battle.

Sonny Corinthos

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Port Charles, NY
I always felt like the scale was going to get larger. We have a battle in Dawn, and it seemed like they could have went larger with this one. Maybe have ape groups all over just like they have humans everywhere. We know humans exist in more than one place. Why not apes? Or maybe we are still seeing a group recovering from the previous battle.

It's been established that only a few are far advanced like Caesar and even he was surprised to come across Bad Ape.

In the coming movies I think the newer generation gets more advanced

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This movie was strange. At times it was engaging and an interesting character study of different perspectives in this world they created. There were also some interesting messages about knowledge of self and collective work for empowerment. However, those messages were overshadowed by story telling that often felt very heavy handed and clumsy. For example
The colonel telling to Caesar everything that had happened to him and how he came to his views of the world, oh also what kind of weapons were stored at the base. That was like some 9th grade freshmen level writing. Let me tell you everything motivating me and my evil plans, and oh by the way, here's how you can defeat me. I kinda checked out when that happened. I also had a problem with them finding a little blonde girl who couldn't speak and instantly befriended them. There's so much wrong with that in terms of the writer's inability to trust the viewer. It's like they had to throw in the most screen tested friendly type of human to make Caesar's struggle relatable and sympathetic to the audience. It felt manipulative AF. I didn't think the zoo ape was funny at all. The audience seemed to like him and laughed like he was comic relief, but I just found him kinda sad.

I also couldn't put aside the racial implications and parallels of this movie. But I don't know if that was good. There's a lot of messy commentary, and I'm actually disturbed that a movie making social commentary about race in America is using a historically offensive representation to create a parable about race. It's messy AF.
The movie is also very long, or at least it felt long as hell to me. After every little climax, I would think 'this must be it', but then something else would happen. And then they'd wring out every bit of dramatic expression to make sure you know this was a important moment. It just felt like they thought the audience was dumb or something. I haven't longed for a movie to end this badly in a long time. It's not a terrible movie, I just would not watch this again or recommend it to anyone.

5/10

Last edited: