War For The Planet Of The Apes (Official Thread)

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I remember Disney saying that this was one of the Fox franchises that they had plans for (the others were Deadpool, Alien, and The Kingsman.) Of course nothing's materialized yet. It's a shame to see a studio sit on a gold mine and do nothing with it.:francis:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Where's the on coli dude who kept on insisting the series is continuing until the astronauts land on da planet of apes. :russ:

He would get all mad when someone would say this series ended.
:russ:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
This should be up there as a GOAT trilogy and visually stunning war movie as well

This flick was trash stop it.

Movie peaked 20 minutes in once they killed Caesars son and wife.

After that it's horse ride and then Caesar in a concentration camp for about an hour. This is a movie that was marketed and billed as a "war movie"

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Where's the on coli dude who kept on insisting the series is continuing until the astronauts land on da planet of apes. :russ:

He would get all mad when someone would say this series ended.
:russ:

it should have :francis: but that wasn't me.. what i did want them to do is start another trilogy though. There's plenty to do with the franchise

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
This flick was trash stop it.

Movie peaked 20 minutes in once they killed Caesars son and wife.

After that it's horse ride and then Caesar in a concentration camp for about an hour. This is a movie that was marketed and billed as a "war movie"
Reeves tried to borrow too much from other movies and ended up bogging down the film. Also fell into tropes that weren't really needed such as the comic relief monkey. The ending "battle" and the convenient avalanch which was positioned right above the base. Just lazy writing during that 3rd act.

I think the production values were dope, music and effects, top notch. Woody was wasted as the villain. Really didn't fit the movie.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Reeves tried to borrow too much from other movies and ended up bogging down the film. Also fell into tropes that weren't really needed such as the comic relief monkey. The ending "battle" and the convenient avalanch which was positioned right above the base. Just lazy writing during that 3rd act.

I think the production values were dope, music and effects, top notch. Woody was wasted as the villain. Really didn't fit the movie.
I wanted to slap the shyt out of Woody when he told Caesar " I didn't mean to kill your son but if his destiny was to inherit your unholy kingdom then I'm glad I did it." He needed some ape hands punching his head in until the white meat in his brain showed for that comment. It felt like he got off easy at the end there.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps

The director had a $200M budget and decided to make Schindler's list with apes when everything was building up to a final War between the Humans and the Apes. A producer should have checked him and thrown his script in the trash can when he showed it to him.

As you said the movie had good production, visuals and that was about it. The only interesting thing outside of the first 20 minutes was the traitor ape. Imagine if the movie was fully built around Caesar going to war against the traitor ape and the general. Instead we got goofy stuff like a mute child infiltrating a military base.

If the movie was like this trailer

It would have gone down as a classic. As we've never seen something on that type of scale when it comes to planet of the apes movies.

This was just a wasted movie.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
The director had a $200M budget and decided to make Schindler's list with apes when everything was building up to a final War between the Humans and the Apes. A producer should have checked him and thrown his script in the trash can when he showed it to him.

As you said the movie had good production, visuals and that was about it. The only interesting thing outside of the first 20 minutes was the traitor ape. Imagine if the movie was fully built around Caesar going to war against the traitor ape and the general. Instead we got goofy stuff like a mute child infiltrating a military base.

It would have gone down as a classic. As we've never seen something on that type of scale when it comes to planet of the apes movies.

I agree with most of your takes. I thought Reeves got to feeling himself too much and tried to make 4 or 5 different epic movies in one. A war flick, an adventure, revenge flick then a prison, ape escape flick. Was like I got 200 million, let's do everything! :russ:

Dressed it up really well but just kind of floundered when the meat of the movie was poorly written.

Andy Serkis tho and the other ape actors especially the donkey traitor ape were excellent.

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Exactly, I mentioned this earlier in the thread that I wish the movie actually involved more warfare. That first battle scene was amazing and really got my hopes up.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Finished rewatching alongside the others to get ready for Kingdom next weekend. I think the title is one that people can get a misconception what this film is about. War in the title is an implication of the mental battle for Caesar. Rather than a war between humans and apes which is what the end of Dawn makes you expect. Still a great film, but I feel that for some people it can hamper their expectations.

Overall the start of the film really showcases how individuals in society look out for themselves. (Obviously Apes in this case) First Red Donkey whom was a follower of Koba. After Caesar let Koba die, he refuses to side with Caesar. But in reality he becomes enslaved to the humans. As he gets treated like shyt by the humans basically and Caesar meanwhile would treat him open arms. Meanwhile, Winter was an ape who defected as well, but his motivation was for his own concern. Assuming his life was at risk he put his life before the rest of the apes. As a result we get the consequence of the attack on their home and Caesar's wife and first son are killed.

Before the attack the goal was to find a better home for the apes, which was found by Caesar's son. But losing both his wife and first son, Caesar was filled with revenge. It took him a long time to realize it, but he eventually became Koba in many ways. His irrational hate for the humans who caused suffering let him down on a path to where the position of the apes got worse because of him. Caesar has shown in the previous two films he is a great leader and the apes have a solid chance of not being captured if he was with them. Caesar is so much not himself to a point when they meet Nova for the first time he isn't himself. Nova is in a position that Caesar was in Rise. Then the humans were getting rid of the Apes after the experiment failed and Caesar was adopted by Will. Luckily Maurice brings her along knowing that the child can't survive on her own.

Nova's kindness was really done well when she provided Caesar with water and food to keep him going. Despite being a human that couldn't speak and communicate like regular humans. You can sense the love and compassion she had for Caesar and the apes that helped her. Truly showing no person or ape is born good or evil, it is the experiences that shape them. This was the turning point of the movie because Caesar dying in camp would have killed morale for the apes.

IMO Koba was a great villain and the best of the 3 main villains in the reboot. But I do have to say Colonel was a great villain as well. Prob a few notches below Koba. He was such an evil b*stard, but in many ways he wanted to look out for humans themselves. Essentially much like how the disease robbed the humans of their superintelligence and being able to speak. Colonel had the approach of killing the virus before it could be spread. A cruel approach, but when you consider it from a non-emotional POV you understand why he did. You do empathize with him, but understand why though. The fact he killed his own disease ridiculed son was reason to understand he was serious. Ironically the disease got to him because the doll that Nova had made its way to him, and it is what spread the disease to him. It's ironic if he followed his plan to the fullest and didn't attack Caesar's home or enslaved the Apes that disease more than likely wouldn't have come to him. His greed got the best of him, and it cost him his life. But overall he was a more interesting villain than I expected.

Despite saying, he is Koba, Caesar didn't fulfill his revenge after seeing the state of the Colonel. He was seeing him dying and killing him with his own hands wouldn't benefit him or the apes in any way. Caesar ultimately is finally able to choose to putting the apes in a better position to escape rather than getting his hand bloodied. It is likely that he would have pulled the trigger if the Colonel was alive. You love to see Caesar cause the explosion to put the Apes in a better position. The sad part is Caesar ends up dying at the end of the film, but he ends it as a great leader. Caesar asks Maurice to take care of and raise Cornelius with the ideas of Caesar. Overall it finishes Caesar's arc, and he can be at peace at the end knowing he has done everything he can for the apes to move forward.

I would rank the films like Rise > War > Dawn. I am interesting what they will bring in Kingdom of the Apes.