WaPo Columnist Jamal Khashoggi killed by Saudis in Turkey; Senators Mull Magnitsky Sanctions

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This will also worsen relations between Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Turkey is pissed because if the allegations are true that means Saudi Arabia can do whatever they want in Turkish soil. Turkey might cut all diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia. Remember they already have a cool relationship especially after the Qatari blockade. I warned back then that MBS is making a grave mistake doing all this because he is pushing Turkey and Qatar closer to Iran. A Iran-Turkey-Qatar axis would be a massive disaster for Saudi Arabia. In the long run it will ruin them.

Brah, safe to say things are a bit worse than we imagined if Turkey has audio and video inside their embassy....

Amirite?

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
This is going to be the underappreciated point of this thing.

Turkey had mics and cameras inside their embassy. How many other embassies do they have mics and cameras?

Safe to assume the Turks got footage of the murder... if so it’s over for those fukk boys in the White House..

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Turkey is pivoting back to the US after distancing themselves all throughout the Syrian war. Why? @FAH1223 ?

Turks have leverage in this situation it appears. They are probably trying to squeeze the Saudis and perhaps even end the Qatar blockade too..

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
To be clear Im not arguing these dynamics are driven by morality. But politics and policy, and the decisions of the American business and media elite are to a certain extent responsive to public and media pressure. Its why this conference next week is looking like a disaster, and people are dropping out like flies.

Im not predicting the end of US-Saudi relations, that wont happen anytime soon. As long as the US wants to remain the premenient foreign power in the Gulf, they will have to work with either the Saudis or Iran. The political and military leadership of the latter remains ideologically predisposed against a complete reapprochement with the US, that would see them play the current Saudi role, but its not hard to forsee this reversing in the future if the nature of Irans government is too change.

What I do see this accelerating in the immediate term, is making the partnership with the US and the Saudis far more difficult to navigate than usual. You can only look to see how close the Congressional votes have been getting, and the JASTA bill before that, to see how there is an appetite for politicans in both parties to respond to public sentiment towards the Saudis. This will only push this trend further. Envoking the Magnistky Act will also ensure this diplomatic crisis will potentially deepen three months down the line, with a potentially Dem-led House eager to further push the envelope.

As well, the Saudis spent untold amounts on PR and access in DC and throughout the States to increase their ties with the political and business elite of the U.S., to try to introduce greater investment and ties. This development has dealt a serious setback to that goal, and will sink the 2030 plan even further.

I agree with most of this.

Something like this was bound to happen tho..or worse. MBS was heading in that direction. Qatar, MBN, Ritz-Carlton, Hariri, Yemen...dude is a walking fukkery

As far as US/Western business men dropping out of "Davos in the Desert" lol I think this is because the act happened so close to the conference. I don't see it having any longterm effects. Saudis pay top dollar and everyone wants a piece of the pie. For example last time, an international PR firm was advising KSA on sanitising its image in the West...Western media got a hold of this story and what did the PR firm do?...simply take KSA off their site as a client. Doesn't mean they weren't clients any longer.

Even the whole Ritz-Carlton affair...Western firms were complicit. PWC was performing forensic accounting for MBS to track down who owned what among the detainees and a top legal firm based in London made bank drawing up the transfer deeds and legal instruments transferring property from men being held against their will :scusthov:. Just highly unethical.

Richard Branson et al knew exactly the fukkery that was going on and didn't give a fukk because that Saudi bag is too lucrative. Uber has Saudi board members...they know what MBS is about. The optics are just bad RIGHT NOW but mark my words it's going to be business as usual.

US/UK, lobbies, consultancies and other businesses are going to do some fake posturing but in the end they're gonna wait on those Riyals being dropped off :ahh:

Last edited: