WaPo Columnist Jamal Khashoggi killed by Saudis in Turkey; Senators Mull Magnitsky Sanctions

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
MBS has overplayed his hand. If the US does nothing but other nations will. The reputation of the kingdom will worsen. This will be another nail on the coffin for the decline of the House of Saud.

Either they got a green light from the US or they have naked pics of someone. I can't believe they would pull some shyt like this just rolling the dice. Even MBS isn't that fukking stupid.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
It's strange, why do this kind of dirt in your own consulate? Did they want something this guy had? Otherwise just use hired killers once he leaves the US. Unless, this dude was being followed/protected by someone like US IC?

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Either they got a green light from the US or they have naked pics of someone. I can't believe they would pull some shyt like this just rolling the dice. Even MBS isn't that fukking stupid.
He might be and I doubt that they counted on the Turks having the consulate bugged. I wouldn't underestimate the incompetence of the KSA. Without all that gifted oil money, they would be back in the desert living in tents.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
So Saudis can bomb and kill thousands of Yemenis and nobody cares but kill one journalist and suddenly they’ve crossed the line? A white looking Saudi journalist too :mjpls:
I don't want to compare things in that regard.

But the Yemen story is not being talked about at all in the media. That deserves way more coverage than it is getting.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know breh. I would hope that's the case but unfortunately it will be business as usual.

Saudis buy lots of weapons and turn the oil taps on and off on Washington's demand. They've also been solidly pro-American since damn near the founding of the Kingdom. I don't think this will unravel because of the death of a journalist (who was arrested by Saudis for criticising Trump).

Added to that these aint normal times. There's no real official US diplomacy going on over there..everything is based on personal relationships...MBS/Kushner/Trump... instead of US State policy. Trump probably prefers KSA to countries like Canada :skip:

Morality doesn't really come into the equation. I don't think anything is going to happen unfortunately :yeshrug:

To be clear Im not arguing these dynamics are driven by morality. But politics and policy, and the decisions of the American business and media elite are to a certain extent responsive to public and media pressure. Its why this conference next week is looking like a disaster, and people are dropping out like flies.

Im not predicting the end of US-Saudi relations, that wont happen anytime soon. As long as the US wants to remain the premenient foreign power in the Gulf, they will have to work with either the Saudis or Iran. The political and military leadership of the latter remains ideologically predisposed against a complete reapprochement with the US, that would see them play the current Saudi role, but its not hard to forsee this reversing in the future if the nature of Irans government is too change.

What I do see this accelerating in the immediate term, is making the partnership with the US and the Saudis far more difficult to navigate than usual. You can only look to see how close the Congressional votes have been getting, and the JASTA bill before that, to see how there is an appetite for politicans in both parties to respond to public sentiment towards the Saudis. This will only push this trend further. Envoking the Magnistky Act will also ensure this diplomatic crisis will potentially deepen three months down the line, with a potentially Dem-led House eager to further push the envelope.

As well, the Saudis spent untold amounts on PR and access in DC and throughout the States to increase their ties with the political and business elite of the U.S., to try to introduce greater investment and ties. This development has dealt a serious setback to that goal, and will sink the 2030 plan even further.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's strange, why do this kind of dirt in your own consulate? Did they want something this guy had? Otherwise just use hired killers once he leaves the US. Unless, this dude was being followed/protected by someone like US IC?

I think the theory that this was an attempt at rendition gone wrong is the most convincing one.

Nonetheless, I think youre giving too much credit to Saudi security forces. They are very capable of a completley bungled plan, especially under this Crown Prince.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
saudi arabia and israel can do whatever they want while they have america's full-throated support. if something happens i'll be surprised; brace yourselves to be disappointed.

Saudi is not Israel. American public perception of Israel is far more positive than it is of Saudi: Poll: American support for Israel at highest rates since early 1990s as partisan gap widens The Israelis have significant and influential support both among the political/business elite and among the general public and have far greater people to people ties than the Saudis do. The Saudi relationship is driven primarily by geopolitics, but its extremely unpopular among Amercians ( for various reasons). That unpopularity makes it easier for politicans to push the envelope. It would be unthinkable to see the Magnitsky Act envoked on Israeli officials, but it has on Saudi. There is a lot of room between the total collapse of the relationship (wont happen) and degraded ties.

thernbroom

Superstar
Daps
Well Damn

Turkey 'has recording proving Saudi murder

The latest reports suggest an assault and a struggle took place in the consulate.

A Turkish security source has confirmed to BBC Arabic the existence of an audio and a video recording. What is not clear is if anyone other than Turkish officials has seen or heard them.

One source is cited by the Washington Post saying men can be heard beating Mr Khashoggi; it adds that the recordings show he was killed and dismembered.

BBC News - Turkey 'has recording proving Saudi murder'

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
MBS is ambitous, aggressive but he has made plenty of stupid decisions. That is because he is headstrong,erratic,impractical and immature. He grew up privileged hence why he acts like a spoil brat when things don’t go his way. He can’t take criticism. His decisions in Yemen,Qatar,and The Ritz Carlton fiasco has blown up on his face. All it has created more enemies for the Saudi Kingdom and more people turning against him. That is why he resides at his $500 million yacht because he fear for his life. He is going to bring down the House of Saud.

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
This will also worsen relations between Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Turkey is pissed because if the allegations are true that means Saudi Arabia can do whatever they want in Turkish soil. Turkey might cut all diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia. Remember they already have a cool relationship especially after the Qatari blockade. I warned back then that MBS is making a grave mistake doing all this because he is pushing Turkey and Qatar closer to Iran. A Iran-Turkey-Qatar axis would be a massive disaster for Saudi Arabia. In the long run it will ruin them.