Vulgarity killed RnB

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
everyone here is right. ill try to go into more detail.

1. songwriting- before you had singers and then you had songwriters. you didnt mind going to a babyface or R kelly for a hit song. Now i cant even tell you who the top writer in the music inudstry is. Not everyone is able to write a song. But from a financial point, i understand it.

2. Lack of music groups. Everyone isn't meant to be a solo singer. I Understand it's hard when money is split 4 ways. But the days of the group are long gone. Jodeci, B2k, En vogue, Changing faces, 702, brownstone, etc.

3. infusion of hip hop. I think we got way too carried away with the hip hop r and b collaborations. Now every r and b single has to have a hip hop artist featured. you got hip hop producers making r and b songs. but the problem is they dont actually produce the record. they just make the beat and thats it. they dont tell you how to sing, or with how much emotion.

4. Lack of promotion. Silk has a new album out- quiet storm. Johnny has that hit with new edition- this one's for me and you. Yet, you rarely hear it being played.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
The thing is the r and b artists used to talk in code.

1. r kelly slow dance- feel my nature rise. i had no clue what he was talking about.

2. Next- too close. i get so excited

3. Intro - come inside. I thought he meant letting him in the door. lol.
AN OVERLOOKED CLASSIC TRACK!

and yes, i didn't know what that song was about until i got older :pachaha:

too bad one of the dudes from the group died of AIDS :francis:

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
AN OVERLOOKED CLASSIC TRACK!

and yes, i didn't know what that song was about until i got older :pachaha:

too bad one of the dudes from the group died of AIDS :francis:

I still refuse to believe he was gay. but man Kenny had a voice. It's crazy back then people didn't care about your sexuality. Either that or artists just did a great job hiding it. Luther Vandross, Mc Lyte, Latifah. I still don't know if Lyte is gay or not. But if she is, she's done a great job hiding it.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not necessarily vulgarity its an outright divorce from its origins and an embracing of simplicity.

I mean for all of innuendo and metaphor Marvin Gaye is as raunchy as just about any contemporary R&B artist.

The biggest problem with R&B though is that people don't want R&B they want Hip-Hop with a black person singing over it.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
R&B always been vulger.
you've always had the more original rough side and the more radio friendly general public side.
I think its the black audience who doesn't want to listen to R&B. I don't know why but black listening audience don't buy tickets to see real R&B singers, they don't want to hear Brian McKnight, 112, Silk, Boyz 2 Men, Jodeci and etc. they don't. They rather listen to sam smith's gay ass mimicking black singers. Black folks rather listen to shytty as Adele warble shyt and immitate black folks, before her they rather listen to that crack head Amy winehouse immitate blacks. Its sickening but its the black audience that would rather praise whites for poorly imitating black singers than support black singers.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Come to think of it, where are the new wedding theme R&B songs? What are these young soon to be married couple's going down the isle to?:jbhmm:

A bunch of Drake's crap. Find Your Love, Hold On We're Going Home, and other shyt like that

everyone here is right. ill try to go into more detail.

1. songwriting- before you had singers and then you had songwriters. you didnt mind going to a babyface or R kelly for a hit song. Now i cant even tell you who the top writer in the music inudstry is. Not everyone is able to write a song. But from a financial point, i understand it.

2. Lack of music groups. Everyone isn't meant to be a solo singer. I Understand it's hard when money is split 4 ways. But the days of the group are long gone. Jodeci, B2k, En vogue, Changing faces, 702, brownstone, etc.

3. infusion of hip hop. I think we got way too carried away with the hip hop r and b collaborations. Now every r and b single has to have a hip hop artist featured. you got hip hop producers making r and b songs. but the problem is they dont actually produce the record. they just make the beat and thats it. they dont tell you how to sing, or with how much emotion.

4. Lack of promotion. Silk has a new album out- quiet storm. Johnny has that hit with new edition- this one's for me and you. Yet, you rarely hear it being played.

Had it not been for amazon suggestions and the fact that I randomly surf wikipedia, I would have never known Slim from 112, Keith Sweat, Jahiem, Tweet, and Fantasia all have recent albums as of this year. 3 of them as recent as last month.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
A bunch of Drake's crap. Find Your Love, Hold On We're Going Home, and other shyt like that

Had it not been for amazon suggestions and the fact that I randomly surf wikipedia, I would have never known Slim from 112, Keith Sweat, Jahiem, Tweet, and Fantasia all have recent albums as of this year. 3 of them as recent as last month.

didnt know about Keith sweat either. I know tweet had a song on the radio. Love Fantasia's no time for it.