Vulgarity killed RnB

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
It's hip hops fault ...there's still a lot of acts that make far more subtle and more vintage sounding rnb, it's just marketed and formatted for an older demographic...a lot of contemporary rnb has turned to explicit bust down music...makes for easier synergy when making a session playlist, can't front...can have that new tinashe joint right next to that future "ratchet ass bytch I'm trying to fukk you right now" track and have it not clash...but it's definitely a noticeable change over the years

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
R&B was supposed to be smooth and seductive. Nowadays they sound like borderline hip-hop songs.
They wanna tip toe right down the middle and just end up straight rapping on R&B records. Most of them just applaud fukking other guys girls or having sex with disposable women. After awhile these scumbag tales get tiresome, so when they flip the switch and all of a sudden have feelings, it's not believable.

Vulgarity ruined rap just as much. Rappers are already bad at making songs about sex, hearing them rap "eat the p*ssy like..." is just :huhldup:. I forget the album but Wayne OD'd on that topic and these news cats just carrying the torch.

Edub

Veteran
Daps

this is a good song. when i heard it, i was like :leon:

then the chorus comes on, and he says let me fukk you back to sleep:childplease:

why not come up with something better? it's just cursing for no reason. Brown has a lot of songs that would be good withoutthat shyt. Same with Bryson Tiller cursing up a storm. Why?

Right...these dudes croonin' "let me pipe ya bootyhole baby girl:ohlawd:" sound ridiculous:pachaha:....song writing in this era is HORRIBLE:flabbynsick:

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
The only time I really fukked with that vulgar RnB was that J.Holiday album Bac of My Lac

:whew:

That get high music and smash music shyt right here
vPXBjWG.png

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i cut weeknd some slack because this seems authentic to him, but these other dudes are corny as hell with this no talent sounding, want to rap but too soft for potential rap beef, shyt

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Why are people so against diversity, and why they think that just because they don't like a particular type of music it's dead. A cat like Ty Dolla Sign probably has better reviews than 95 % of the RnB artists that came out in 04-07.

People go on youtube find one big song and claim the whole game is doing it.
RnB was nearly dying with that repetitive soft shyt like Mario, Lloyd, Bobby V, Ne-Yo, Trey Songz and on. They had basically exhausted the genre minus like John Legend who was the only new cat dropping some interesting shyt. That generation nearly killed it, even started doing fukking EDM yet The Weeknd killed it, okay. And Chris Brown is from that generation, he just follows whatever is popular.

Today you can get a
Frank Ocean, Miguel, Bruno Mars, Autre ne veut, Blood orange, Anderson Paak, Bj Tha Chicago kid, Sam Smith, Usher, John Legend, D'Angelo, Maxwell, JT and other older people
August Alsina, CB or Jeremih if you want that
Ty Dolla Sign, Partynextdoor, The Dream, Weeknd if you want that

And that's not even including the ocean of dope females, worse is also the fact that there's a bunch of artists that you dudes aren't supporting. Instead you are in here listening to what you don't like and complaining about it :snoop:. It's 2016, you are like 2 clicks away, you don't like shyt you just like complaining. shyt is looking like lipstickalley these days :mindblown:

Personally I like when people keep it real, but I also enjoy when they are complete liars and act like they are perfect gentlemen when most of them are a$$holes. The "problem" is that those "vulgar" dudes are putting out complete projects, innovating new sounds, can also dominate clubs and handle a wide range of beats. Along with the fact that cats would rather complain about what they don't like than support what they supposedly like. Or that 45 year old men are following the clubs and Kylie Kardashians instagram to find their music.

Last edited:
Daps
That comes from being diluted with hip hop.:yeshrug:

A lot of these mainstream r&b artists can't sing like like that.

90s r&b had some vulgarity, but the r&b artists could actually sing.

The things that used to make r&b what it's supposed to be is being phased out.

Today's r&b is like a sub genre of hip-hop.:upsetfavre: