Vulgarity killed RnB

tybo

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was just talking to my lady about this yesterday. R&B used to be so good back in the days that you didn't have to DO SHYT to get shorty open! Just put that shyt on and try not to talk yourself out of the puzzy! Jodeci, Kels...that Bump and Grind remix! :ohlawd:

What about that Silk "Freak Me" brehs? :noah:

That Black Street "Before I Let You Go"
:whew:

That Kels "It Seems Like You're Ready" :banderas:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Singers use to really sing they heart on records now not so much.

I agree with the vulgar thing too. It's over the top

Truth.

You'd always see some footage of a group or a solo artist singing acapella to show they had vocals. That was kinda how you proved yourself worthy of being on, you had to show you could rock without a track behind you. We don't see anything like that today because these dudes can't really sing today. Get some decent production, few sex metaphors and some profanity and you're good now.

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
I gotta blame kellz for this shyt. Dont get me wrong dude is a legend and a genius . He was the 1st cat i can remember with the overly sexual songs BUT he did counter it with love songs and insperational gospel type songs. nikkas after hit took his raunchier shyt and turned it up several notches.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
At a friend's child's birthday party in July, his Dad and I, and others were discussing R&B, and he had the same sentiment, though, since he is in his 50's, he claimed it started with 'Freak Me',

"all that let me lick you up and down talk" and compared it to the Isley Brothers, 'when you receive me'.

I don't mind sex talk or 'vulgarity (No Jay) but when it's excessive and tacky, and borderline latent homoerotic, (don't talk about your dikk, in any way) it does kill a song. When I was in 8th grade, Sisqo was the most sexual shyt out, as far as R&B, in my mind. There will always be artists better at communicating themselves, and ones who are too one the nose. Even Weeknd who is probably my favorite artist at the moment can be over the top, and take you out of the song, with a clumsy line here and there.

Last edited:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I was just talking to my lady about this yesterday. R&B used to be so good back in the days that you didn't have to DO SHYT to get shorty open! Just put that shyt on and try not to talk yourself out of the puzzy! Jodeci, Kels...that Bump and Grind remix! :ohlawd:

What about that Silk "Freak Me" brehs? :noah:

That Black Street "Before I Let You Go"
:whew:

That Kels "It Seems Like You're Ready" :banderas:

Check out this new school singer. He gives me hope R&B can get back to its roots