Virtua Fighter: Lore and Why it's deeper than Tekken

Micron

Pro
Daps
I remember seeing this video and disliking it. VF is great but trying to prop it up by antagonizing Tekken players is lame. Especially when the video is by some guy who isn't even an intermediate player. He argues that VF is deeper than Tekken because in high level VF matches, they don't use the same moves like in Tekken...but in the last VF EVO match the Shun player used 2P about as much as JDCR used Drag's d+2. He doesn't understand the simple concept that in every 3-D fighting game characters are going to have to rely on safe pokes to win matches.

Virtua Fighter has a detailed tutorial that does an excellent job explaining all of it's mechanics. I have never seen a better tutorial.

By contrast Tekken has never once had a good tutorial. Players are always thrown into the deep end and expected to learn things the hard way. It wasn't an issue until T5 when the crush system came out, and sidewalking came out. People didn't understand why their moves were being beaten or stepped, and that's when people started labelling Tekken "random".

Tekken is defined by it's very aggressive and complex wake-up system, which is something that new players always struggle with because it is never explained to them. Unlike other 3-D fighting games, low attacks can knock down on normal hit. This is a dramatic yet subtle difference from a lot of other 3-D fighters barring SC.

The most definitive feature of Virtua Fighter is it's neutral game. All of the characters have very extensive options from neutral which makes for some fast paced match-ups where the momentum can swing very quickly. DOA despite it's flashy characters isn't as fast paced because it's characters don't all have the same options from neutral, because they rely on the Hold system to deal with pressure.

I would like to see another VF game, just not another cut and paste like VF5FS. I find it a bit disappointing that the only way I can play VF on my PS4 is through DOA...

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
Damn Yu Suzuki was already thinking ahead with the CG in the fall of 1995
nEY8Df5.jpg

Lord Bison

Superstar
Daps
I remember seeing this video and disliking it. VF is great but trying to prop it up by antagonizing Tekken players is lame. Especially when the video is by some guy who isn't even an intermediate player. He argues that VF is deeper than Tekken because in high level VF matches, they don't use the same moves like in Tekken...but in the last VF EVO match the Shun player used 2P about as much as JDCR used Drag's d+2. He doesn't understand the simple concept that in every 3-D fighting game characters are going to have to rely on safe pokes to win matches.

Virtua Fighter has a detailed tutorial that does an excellent job explaining all of it's mechanics. I have never seen a better tutorial.

By contrast Tekken has never once had a good tutorial. Players are always thrown into the deep end and expected to learn things the hard way. It wasn't an issue until T5 when the crush system came out, and sidewalking came out. People didn't understand why their moves were being beaten or stepped, and that's when people started labelling Tekken "random".

Tekken is defined by it's very aggressive and complex wake-up system, which is something that new players always struggle with because it is never explained to them. Unlike other 3-D fighting games, low attacks can knock down on normal hit. This is a dramatic yet subtle difference from a lot of other 3-D fighters barring SC.

The most definitive feature of Virtua Fighter is it's neutral game. All of the characters have very extensive options from neutral which makes for some fast paced match-ups where the momentum can swing very quickly. DOA despite it's flashy characters isn't as fast paced because it's characters don't all have the same options from neutral, because they rely on the Hold system to deal with pressure.

I would like to see another VF game, just not another cut and paste like VF5FS. I find it a bit disappointing that the only way I can play VF on my PS4 is through DOA...

Yakuza 6 will have Virtua Fighter 5:FS playable within the game with fully functional online gameplay. :banderas:

See you in the streets fam.. :birdman:

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
I love my Sega Saturn to death. :mjcry:

I never throw away my video games breh. Over the years they just turned into a collection. I still have all of my SNES, NES, PS1, PS2 and Dreamcast and Saturn games back in the day. When I went to Japan I was able to cop a white Sega Saturn for $50 and hella games that were about $5-$10 a piece. Saturn games in Japan are next to nothing in price except for the rare or high value games like Alpha 3 and shyt like that.

Got the Dreamcast hooked up in the living room and the Saturn hooked up in the bedroom right now. :banderas:
Damn you're very fortunate unfortunately for me I was surrounded by irresponsible people and thieves. The only old consoles that I still have is my old PS2, Dreamcast, and a Wii. I'm gonna have to go Japan Akhibara one time to buy by me a Saturn, PS1, Mega drive and possibly a SNES.

Lord Bison

Superstar
Daps
Damn you're very fortunate unfortunately for me I was surrounded by irresponsible people and thieves. The only old consoles that I still have is my old PS2, Dreamcast, and a Wii. I'm gonna have to go Japan Akhibara one time to buy by me a Saturn, PS1, Mega drive and possibly a SNES.

Go ham out there in Akihabara breh. Cop that passport and get to Japan ASAP. If there was ever a highlight in all of my years living, seeing Japan with my own two eyes was the greatest thing that ever happened to me so far. :mjcry:

Just one thing to let you know, don't think you can just go to Japan once and that's it. :ufdup:

It's too much to do out there :banderas:

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
I'd kill kittens to get my hands or even see Virtua Fighter 3 running on the Saturn in real time.
Same here I wish Yu Suzuki would put it out and display it or a mad ex employee releasing it as a rom. Revision 2 apparently had increased polygons it would probably look more or less like Shining Force III and the late(98) Saturn games 3D graphics.

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
Go ham out there in Akihabara breh. Cop that passport and get to Japan ASAP. If there was ever a highlight in all of my years living, seeing Japan with my own two eyes was the greatest thing that ever happened to me so far. :mjcry:

Just one thing to let you know, don't think you can just go to Japan once and that's it. :ufdup:

It's too much to do out there :banderas:
Thanks man:salute:

I was contemplating of going last year but I wanted to go with someone, however, most of the folks weren't interested or they were busy. Screw It I may go this year on my own I just need to plan accordingly. I may contact my distant relatives over there to navigate me around there lol the only problem they aren't in the Tokyo prefecture(I think that's what it's called)
How many times you've been there?