Viola Davis: If I’m A Black Meryl Streep, Then ‘Pay Me What I’m Worth'

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
smh. We already know which side most Black folks finna be on

so let us get certain questions / comments out of the way...

-is she in demand?
-why isn't she playing the game, then wait for the next project to get payed?
-she needs to stop begging white folks, linkup with TP and Oprah to show cacs about Black excellence
-Why is she pocket watching Streep?
-Why is she begging white folks?
- Why is she burning bridges like this, she should just shut up and do what she needs to do
-She's full of shyt. Isn't Denzel,Hallie, and Taraji getting payed. I know for a fact Black panther cast going to get that bag
Spot on

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
kobe-laugh.gif

Trying to correlate the shyt show Monique is displaying with Viola Davis is preposterous..
Naw nikka
No its really not. Who are we to tell Monique or viola how much they're worth?

I'm you're offered a new job you don't negotiate?

Why should Monique an Oscar winning actress comedian be paid less than her white counterparts?

Same with Viola Davis, of course Monique isn't as refined as viola but the message is still the same.

They're going into these meeting with execs who are saying "you're so talented, we love you, we'd love to work with you" but they end up low balling them.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Most of her recent movies have bombed. Other than Fences and Suicide Squad.

Lila%26Eve_Movie_Poster.jpg

She a tv actor though I guess.
These are studio tricks and gimmicks. Clearly Jennifer Lopez should be the A lead and carrying the marketing, but the studio knew it was going to bomb so they allowed Jennifer to play the background so she wouldn’t receive any real blame.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
I think she needs to do this behind closed doors.

I agree with her but these execs sensitive as fukk.

Minoque wrote the blueprint on what not to do. Do not do a circuit tour of underpaid.

I'm sure Angela Bassett feels the same way. But she aint shytting on them in interviews.

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Viola doesn't understand that she's not an A-lister. Don Cheadle is a great actor, but he ain't out here whining about how he doesn't get Denzel/Will Smith checks. Nobody outside her family goes to see a movie because Viola Davis is in it.

she was in suicide squad man getting that blockbuster check, stop hating. :lolbron:

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
This is a breakdown of salaries that got leaked for ABC shows

Data released by Variety shows, for example, that Shondaland actresses Viola Davis (HTGAWM) and Kerry Washington (Scandal) make $250,000 per episode, far less than Grey's Anatomy star Ellen Pompeo, who brings in $400,000 per episode. "That Davis, in particular, isn’t commanding more is frankly perplexing — she won the Best Actress Emmy in 2015 and was nominated again in September, and she splits her time between television and a successful movie career (including the recent summer hit Suicide Squad)," Variety writes.

The report gets even worse when it comes toEmpire stars. "Further down the list still are Taraji P. Henson and Terrence Howard, previous Oscar nominees, and the stars of the highest-rated drama on television, Fox’s Empire. They are said to earn $175,000 an episode — less than the stars of some dramas that could only aspire to achieve half of Empire’s ratings. (Their on-screen sons, Trai Byers, Jussie Smollett and Bryshere Y. Gray, are paid just $20,000 per episode.)"

There's nothing funny about the numbers on the comedy side, either. An analysis of primetime sitcoms on ABC shows that Anthony Anderson gets $100,000 an episode, while Tracee Ellis Ross’s pay is $80,000; comparatively, the core Modern Family cast, The Middle ’s Patricia Heaton and Last Man Standing’s Tim Allen all earn $250,000 an episode — despite pulling in lower ratings and less critical/awards acclaim

FULL STORY HERE

Please dont say she's whining when they are seeing white actors that are less lauded and decorated with similar or lower rated shows getting paid double.

Last edited:

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a breakdown of salaries that got leaked for ABC shows

FULL STORY HERE

Please dont say she's whining when they are seeing white actors that are less lauded and decorated with shows with similar or lower rated shows get paid double.

then she should go apeshyt on shonda rhimes who created grey's anatomy and htgawm, she is also black. why is shonda paying ellen more than viola?

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why these hoes crying like Hollywood is special. Black people go uncompensated for shyt all day everyday in every field.
Black people in the US that go uncompensated everyday don’t have it as bad as Black People starving in the Horn of Africa, they need need to quick crying like their lives are special.
Well there you go. If she was dropping hits she could be naming her price. Probably a closet communist
A lot of y’all are as close to functioning retards as the Turing Test will allow.

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
then she should go apeshyt on shonda rhimes who created grey's anatomy and htgawm, she is also black. why is shonda paying ellen more than viola?

Thats like saying a walmart supervisor pays you more or less when u work for Wal Mart. The bumass supervisor didnt create the payscale the exec at corporate did.

Ellens contract is with ABC not Shonda. The checks dont say Shondaland they say ABC. Shonda might create the shows and be one of the exec producers but she does not determine who gets paid what and she does not own the rights to those ABC shows.

Shonda can strongly suggest things but she doesnt run the money on these shows, budgets get approved by execs at the network.

Last edited:

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats like saying a walmart supervisor pays you more when u work for Wal Mart.

Ellens contract is with ABC not Shonda. The checks dont say Shondaland they say ABC. Shonda might create the shows and be one of the exec producers but she does not determine who gets paid what and she does not own the rights to those ABC shows.

Shonda can strongly suggest things but she doesnt run the money on these shows, budgets get approved by execs at the network.

I know how the business works, I am just mocking the situation (being sarcastic), viola is barking at the wrong tree imo.

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Now her and not monique can speak.

The last 4 to 5 years alone viola been tops..

However i wish more black actors and actresses come together and start their own production company and work behind the scene to get paid.

It's sad when Ice Cube my favorite rapper can immediately come in and start his own production company and do shyt, while many of these actors and actresses be in the game 15 to 20 years just doing acting