Viola Davis: If I’m A Black Meryl Streep, Then ‘Pay Me What I’m Worth'

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
Angela Bassett always been better to me but she doesn’t go for the type of “Oscar” begging films Viola does. Also Courtney B Vance is a top actor too and he went to Yale as well. Masters degrees to boot honey. :dame:
Angela Bassett isn’t as good as Viola. She’s the best of the actresses that came out in the 90s but her range is limited and she has a tendency to overact.

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
Begging cac for money is not a good look.

I hate Tyler Perry movies but I love his vision.

At the end of the day, white actors go thru the same shyt. Only a select few command top dollar. Women have it even harder. :manny:
His vision of making shytty movies full of stereotypes instead of hiring Black writers?

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Angela Bassett isn’t as good as Viola. She’s the best of the actresses that came out in the 90s but her range is limited and she has a tendency to overact.
The in the Red Reppers sure like to show their asses in here boi - dumb as fuk, if anyone should be complaining it damn well SHOULD be Angela Bassett. Viola Davis needs to sit her melodramatic IR pawning self down somewhere. Viola is always cast in that stereotypical nanny or mammy help shyt. If not then she’s playing a wench, like The Widow or that Shonda show - Murder. Lucky that face of hers gets any screen time bc I’m sick of seeing her and Tiffany Haddish as they go-tos on every damn show or movie where they need role filler. Like other black actresses don’t exist.

chiefdogg

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But when Mo’Nique was saying this - she was blacklisted and argumentative. Where was she when Mo’nique needed the support. Too busy pining for the next role where she plays a wench to white men. *cough cough Liam Neesom. Now that she’s aging out and roles are drying up - it’s advocacy time. That IR c00ning ploy hit her ass like karma after his racism was exposed for wanting to “kill the first black man he saw”.

Liam Neeson in racism storm after admitting he wanted to kill a black man

Viola Davis praised her interracial kiss with Liam Neeson in ‘Widows’ — months before his racism controversy

Viola Davis Says Kissing Liam Neeson Was 'Groundbreaking'
#Facts

Daps
Reppin
St louis
XIcV8cj.gif

UKVu0t8.gif

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
She doesn’t choose roles that make her Oscar worthy like Viola does. Doesnt mean she has no range.
I’ve seen most of Angela’s roles and I couldn’t give two fukks about the Oscars.
:yeshrug:
What’s Love Got To With It is by far the best performance of career. Her filmography is pretty shyt aside from Malcolm X and a a few others.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She speaks the truth. It always bother me that they never put her nominee in best actress in leading role but only on supporting actress role.

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
She's right. It also depends on the opportunities that she has been given compared to a Meryl Streep and Julianne Moore. You can't win awards for parts that are not available to you. Davis didn't pop off until her 40s, yet Streep was in demand by her late 20s.

BrownBunny

All Star
Daps
Not really, she has a pretty diverse filmography.
I mean, I think she’s done a lot of stuff that’s not worth her talent but if you like it, fine.
:yeshrug:
Like I said, she’s the best of her generation(excluding Viola) but she’s limited to doing shytty tv shows the last few years. 911 and American Horror Story are not worthwhile gigs.

The last ten years on this list is complete garbage except for the MCU movies.

Angela Bassett filmography - Wikipedia