Vinyl - (Martin Scorsese & Terrence Winter/HBO/70's Music Series)

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it's kind of interesting that the Nasty Bits are supposed to be the birth of punk rock and they are basically a manufactured boy band/industry plant type group.
100% intentional
In mid-1975, McLaren advised SEX customers Paul Cook and Steve Jones on their musical aspirations, introducing them to his shop assistant, bassist Glen Matlock and persuading them to eject guitarist/singerWally Nightingale from rehearsals. It has been reported that McLaren's associate Bernie Rhodes (later manager of The Clash), spotted a replacement frontman in another customer, John Lydon then sporting green-dyed hair and torn clothes with the words "I hate" scribbled on his Pink Floyd T-shirt. Lydon, dubbed "Johnny Rotten", joined and McLaren provided the name Sex Pistols (McLaren stated that he wanted them to sound like "sexy young assassins").[8]

“ Rock is fundamentally a young people's music, right? And a lot of kids feel cheated. They feel that the music's been taken away from them by that whole over-25 audience. ”
NME – November 1976[9]

In May 1977, the band released "God Save the Queen" during the week of Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee. McLaren organised a boat trip down the Thames where the Sex Pistols would perform their music outside the Houses of Parliament. The boat was raided by the police and McLaren was arrested, thus achieving his goal to obtain publicity.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wonder if we'll see a time skip ahead for Season 2, seeing as how HBO/the new showrunner will want to change some things up.

I hope so. Two years would be good. I want to see the Nasty Bits as a successful act struggling on tour, trying to figure out making a second record. Show Xavier flopping and becoming a money pit and Zak spiraling out of control as a result. Show the explosion of disco and the early seeds of hip-hop.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Xavier seems a little David Cassidy-ish

i know his origins are way different, but i bet zak's plan flops and he gets picked up and rebranded as a top 40 guy and sells crazy units

either way zak looks like the dikkhead again :mjcry:

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A Kool Herc cameo in the finale :blessed:
I can't wait til they show The Ramones and Sex Pistols

aren't the nasty bits supposed to be the sex pistols?

Nasty Bits are a mash up of the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. They showed the Ramones in the audience at the Nasty Bits concert and I'm guessing we will see the sex pistols eventually.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Another part about this I am really liking is the representation of disco as something grimy and organic and street level in it's original form. It's a nice juxtaposition with their portrayal of punk rock as manufactured rebellion.

Though they also showed that the "Indigo" disco record was pushed to DJ's entirely through payola.
The CBGB reveal :banderas:

I'm not music expert, but I hope the get into this:
First Watch: Talking Heads, 'Chronology'

(Can't find a working link straight to the video, just hit play on the video in the page.)
I was actually shocked to find that "Psycho Killer" was from 1975. I always thought it was a pure 80's song. THIS versions reminds me of Charles Manson.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Though they also showed that the "Indigo" disco record was pushed to DJ's entirely through payola.

I'm not music expert, but I hope the get into this:
First Watch: Talking Heads, 'Chronology'

(Can't find a working link straight to the video, just hit play on the video in the page.)
I was actually shocked to find that "Psycho Killer" was from 1975. I always thought it was a pure 80's song. THIS versions reminds me of Charles Manson.

Good point re: disco. The point I am trying to make (and I think they are too) is that sometimes real street music can be about escapism as much as it can be about rebellion. Sometimes when you have a shytty life a night of dancing is lot more appealing than a night of screaming fukk the cops and getting arrested. I see your point about payola though and it's totally valid.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Good point re: disco. The point I am trying to make (and I think they are too) is that sometimes real street music can be about escapism as much as it can be about rebellion. Sometimes when you have a shytty life a night of dancing is lot more appealing than a night of screaming fukk the cops and getting arrested. I see your point about payola though and it's totally valid.

I think they're also showing us that the guys at American Century has a constantly repeated pattern of getting into a desperate situation, then getting out of it by turning something "authentic" into something more manufactured and marketable. First Lester, the Nasty Bits, then the disco clubs. First they try to be "real", then they run into some kind of wall and do what they have to do.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
I think they're also showing us that the guys at American Century has a constantly repeated pattern of getting into a desperate situation, then getting out of it by turning something "authentic" into something more manufactured and marketable. First Lester, the Nasty Bits, then the disco clubs. First they try to be "real", then they run into some kind of wall and do what they have to do.
i'll take it one step further: what's real is always supported and by consequence distorted by the machine

everyone got on by payola in the 70s, EVERYONE. nasty bits started as a brutish dissonant collection of a$$holes fighting with fans. now they're doing key changes and coordinating haircuts

disco started as dance music for after hours clubs and turned into the glossy crap we remember it as

maybe the point is that lester was TOO real :ehh: too real for stardom, destined to live on only as an ancestor of music that actually sells