Vinyl - (Martin Scorsese & Terrence Winter/HBO/70's Music Series)

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
saw all 3 episodes and this is a good show.. hope it gets atleast 5 seasons and a long run

im loving all the old music artists playing roles in this

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Just caught up. Being a rock and music lover, I'm liking this show a lot. Great shyt :wow:

Side note: Did I see Swagnar's wife from the Vikings make a cameo in this shyt? :gladbron: (or was it just a look alike? :jbhmm:)

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I was listening to the watch (former grantland dudes with Bill Simmons) and they were talking about what other eras and genre would have been more interesting and came up with a show set in the early 00s Hip Hop. That shyt would be incredible. Also, a show like "The Breaks" on vh1 would be so dope on HBO too.

I'm not a rock head like that so a lot of this show goes over my head. What was the significance of the demo?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I was listening to the watch (former grantland dudes with Bill Simmons) and they were talking about what other eras and genre would have been more interesting and came up with a show set in the early 00s Hip Hop. That shyt would be incredible. Also, a show like "The Breaks" on vh1 would be so dope on HBO too.

I'm not a rock head like that so a lot of this show goes over my head. What was the significance of the demo?
The early 2000s?! That was not an interesting Hip Hop era IMO. Really just a bunch of people trying to be Biggie and Pac.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps

The "Danny's Song" demo? No particular significance in terms of rock history. I think the scene coupled with the lyrics make it really ironic. The song was originally written from the viewpoint of Loggins' brother (or was it Messina? :jbhmm:) whose wife had just had a baby but didn't have a lot of money, hence, "And even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with you honey."

But the song is significant for Richie because his record label and personal finances are fukked, he doesn't have any money for Devon's barn fundraisers, and their relationship is on the ropes. Meanwhile, because of Buck Rogers' death, he's beholden to pushing out the same AM bullshyt that he's actively trying to steer the label away from. Danny's Song is his prison at the end of the last episode :mjcry:

That's what I got from it at least :yeshrug:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Hip hop was never bigger than that period though...

That's a good point. But what would hinder it is the people involved are still kinda relevant and in the public eye. Too much politics would be involved in how they were portrayed. You gotta let time pass so people have less of an ego about things.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
How Richie did Grimes was GRIMEY as fukk. It legit made me pissed off. The music industry is filled with pit falls and snakes but for a dude who claimed that he loved music... to not fight to keep an artistt hat wasn't being utilized correctly was bullshyt.

At least ask what it would take to have him removed from the label. He sold his loyalty for riches...:snoop:

Until he makes things right by Lester Grimes...I really could care less about how fukked his life gets. And I'm usually a sucker for anti-heroes. :pacspit:

Not too mention the guys who beat him up are rich and probably own his publishing. It's sad watching old black artists who created influential music, yet got shytted on and usually die broke.

YvrzTrvly

All Star
Daps
God damnit i dont watch too many series these days but i always fukk with hbo joints.

This shyt gonna give me a heart attack!!! How richie gonna fukk up now?