Vinyl - (Martin Scorsese & Terrence Winter/HBO/70's Music Series)

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Guess the ratings were trash :francis:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/hbo-vinyl-premiere-low-ratings.html

Doesn't surprise me

HBO’s heavily hyped big-budget Martin Scorsese drama Vinyl could use some payola right about now: Ratings for Sunday’s two-hour opening episode were shockingly low. Per Nielsen, a mere 764,000 viewers caught the 9 p.m. premiere, one of the smallest audiences ever for the first installment of an HBO drama in recent years. Vinyl not only lost handily to Showtime’s Sunday duo ofShameless and Billions (a combined 1.3 million viewers from 9 to 11 p.m.), it even finished below the audience of the show that followed it, Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (1 million.) And it came in well below the last big HBO drama to debut in the winter,True Detective, whichattracted 2.3 million viewers in 2014 opposite a big NFL playoff game and also without the benefit of an established HBO hit as its lead-in.

HBO doesn’t spin ratings, but if it did, execs would likely point out that, unlike True Detective, Vinyl had to contend with the mid-season premiere of AMC’s massive hit The Walking Dead (which returned to nearly 14 million viewers). They’d also likely argue that Vinyl opened in the middle of a three-day holiday weekend, and repeat the fact that the network isn’t all that concerned with overnight ratings, and instead looks at how a show performs over the course of several weeks and on various platforms (including VOD and HBO Go). Still, all those mitigating factors aside, there’s no getting around it: HBO had to be hoping for much better results from a show with as much behind-the-scenes star power as Vinyl. It’s possible, of course, that the show will grow audience over the next few weeks or perform particularly well once DVR numbers and replays come in. But if not? Vinyl may soon take a cue from Billboard’s No. 17 song of 1973, and “Drift Away.”

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
HBO isn't sweating those ratings. They want to know how many people over a whole week, on different platforms watched the show. I expect and hope that number will be in the millions. Let's see how it performs over a month. Besides, creatively it's great and I'm sure it will garner awards nominations. That's all I care about.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
The stock footage from Taxi Driver:ahh:

Yo I was bugging out when I seen that. I was like that shyt looks like it's straight out of Taxi Driver :ohhh:

Knew it looked too good to be a recreation.

Do we think Lester will come back and maybe be a way in for Richie to the early hip hop scene. Although '74 seems too early for that?

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Ratings were trash but HBO already renewed it for a second season

ZALcC.gif

HBO Renews 'Vinyl' for Season 2

Vinyl” has been renewed for a second season at HBO. The Season 2 pickup comes after only one episode has aired, just days after the series’ debut this past Sunday.

The 1970’s sex-and-drug filled music drama premiered to some of HBO’s lowest ratings ever, but the renewal does not come as a surprise with both critical acclaim and A-list talent packed into the show both in front of and behind the camera.

Created by Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese, Rich Cohen and Terence Winter, the drama stars Bobby Cannavale and Olivia Wilde.

Opening to just 764,000 viewers with its two-hour premiere, “Vinyl’s” debut came in lower than other HBO dramas in recent years including “The Leftovers,” “True Detective” and “The Newsroom.” Still, “Vinyl” did open on a competitive holiday weekend and with the early renewal, the premium cabler is showing a big sign of early support.

Scorsese, Jagger, Winter, Victoria Pearman, Rick Yorn, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, John Melfi, Allen Coulter and George Mastras serve as exec producers. Winter is showrunner and Jagger is the exec music producer.

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
read the first 5 or so episodes have been getting mixed reviews but i liked it.

i don't know if its because i watched it this morning but i felt like it shouldnt have been that long even though i can understand why.
enthralling at some bits and then kind of in and out of it at others even though so much was going on.

cast is good..

i love Bobby Cannavale.
Romano is a good choice
Dice Clay killed it
Juno Temple looks like a rat but i get the feeling she has some good p*ssy.

good to see the guy that plays Lester get a role like this.
i saw him on Girls and an episode of Blue Bloods i watched with my grandfather playing a scamming Reverend and he's on Elementary as Sherlocks sponsor.

:ohhh: the band Beach Fossils make up the rest of the Nasty Bits with Jaggers son.

in the recoup scene, when they gave the artist coke under his cup on the saucer was that supposed to be Rod Stewart ?
i know they had a cut out of him in the present day in the conference room so i suppose that was him.

also, did Scorese pay homage to himself in this with the murder then trunk scene ?

:lolbron:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I wish Teyonah Parris was on this show...

A lot of critics say that the show settles down in episode two and gets significantly better.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Led Zeppelin's manager was hilarious. I've been meaning to google him for more stories about him.

Wasn't impressed with the guy playing Robert Plant though. Seemed off and OTT.

They better not fukk up Bowie :ufdup:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Led Zeppelin's manager was hilarious. I've been meaning to google him for more stories about him.

Wasn't impressed with the guy playing Robert Plant though. Seemed off and OTT.

They better not fukk up Bowie :ufdup:
:pachaha: I thought they got young plant perfectly

He's this wrinkled elder statesman playing with violinists nowadays, it was nice to see demonic smug robert