Vince Staples: "90s Music overrated"

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
We do hold era's in association to our memories. I dont think everyone realizes this. I felt a certain way about Vince statement. But, you gotta take a step back and look at WHO is saying it. I would be more pissed if someone who actually participated in the 90's era like lets say Jadakiss said that.

Vince is young.

90's is Goat for me tho..

koopz

Pooh
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
This whole thing is like seeing a prominent, up-and-coming director or actor saying something like "I don't understand why Citizen Kane and Casablanca get the credit they do. My favorite movie growing up was Cheetah Girls." Then wondering why people would find that disrespectful.

shyt, someone could really like Cheetah Girls more than any classic movie, but to feign ignorance about why the classics get the credit they do and then propup a preteen flick is obviously gonna be offputing to people :pachaha:. But to some people, listening to 90's hip hop is like being forced to watch old black and white movies :heh:.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
This whole thing is like seeing a prominent, up-and-coming director or actor saying something like "I don't understand why Citizen Kane and Casablanca get the credit they do. My favorite movie growing up was Cheetah Girls." Then wondering why people would find that disrespectful.

shyt, someone could really like Cheetah Girls more than any classic movie, but to feign ignorance about why the classics get the credit they do and then propup a preteen flick is obviously gonna be offputing to people :pachaha:. But to some people, listening to 90's hip hop is like being forced to watch old black and white movies :heh:.
he said that the 90s are overrated and he never listened to NSYNC. terrible analogy

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We do hold era's in association to our memories. I dont think everyone realizes this. I felt a certain way about Vince statement. But, you gotta take a step back and look at WHO is saying it. I would be more pissed if someone who actually participated in the 90's era like lets say Jadakiss said that.

Vince is young.

90's is Goat for me tho..
I thought J-Zone's tweet was perfect but theres this strange fascination with the new era of completely disavowing any knowledge of anything pre-2000.

I started listening to hip-hop in 95-96 and was too young to appreciate the classics dropping all around me. I messed with Big and most Death Row shyt, Cypress Hill and wouldnt discover the other stuff for a few years. I went back and listened to G Rap, KRS, Ice Cube, Rakim etc because I was inquisitive as hell and wanted to hear more piff and understand where the piff came from. This was when Internet was NOT everywhere and I'd be in the library renting CDs, borrowing albums from fam, buying whatever I could.

A new era fan can literally download a torrent with every Tribe song ever released in a matter of minutes, but theyd rather dismiss it as some flabby shyt and worship Cam'ron cause he's an easy "cool signifier". Cam is dope as fukk, but the attitude changed along with the climate. Hip-hop is one of the only cultures,artforms genres or wtv where its "lame" to have some standards and some history under your belt.

How many trends have come and gone in the 00s, some incredible music was made no doubt, but is it that easy to disregard and discredit an entire era because you didnt grow up in it and dont care enough to do the research? I cant help but notice an agenda to erase the history books and forcefully legitimize this era...which still has some legwork to do before it can be compared to the past eras. Rap is truly some post-modern shyt right now

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
I thought J-Zone's tweet was perfect but theres this strange fascination with the new era of completely disavowing any knowledge of anything pre-2000.

I started listening to hip-hop in 95-96 and was too young to appreciate the classics dropping all around me. I messed with Big and most Death Row shyt, Cypress Hill and wouldnt discover the other stuff for a few years. I went back and listened to G Rap, KRS, Ice Cube, Rakim etc because I was inquisitive as hell and wanted to hear more piff and understand where the piff came from. This was when Internet was NOT everywhere and I'd be in the library renting CDs, borrowing albums from fam, buying whatever I could.

A new era fan can literally download a torrent with every Tribe song ever released in a matter of minutes, but theyd rather dismiss it as some flabby shyt and worship Cam'ron cause he's an easy "cool signifier". Cam is dope as fukk, but the attitude changed along with the climate. Hip-hop is one of the only cultures,artforms genres or wtv where its "lame" to have some standards and some history under your belt.

How many trends have come and gone in the 00s, some incredible music was made no doubt, but is it that easy to disregard and discredit an entire era because you didnt grow up in it and dont care enough to do the research? I cant help but notice an agenda to erase the history books and forcefully legitimize this era...which still has some legwork to do before it can be compared to the past eras. Rap is truly some post-modern shyt right now

Im with you on this..