Vince Staples: "90s Music overrated"

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
In the 80's hip hop was considered a fad.

The 90's solidified the art and took it mainstream. This nikka talking out his ass. Every rapper that came out in the early 2000's was influenced by the late 80's early 90's just like the 90's rappers was influenced by the 80's

Without the 80's there is no 90's and so on and so forth.

Another hipster smart dumb nikka trying to go against the grain when he really just sounds stupid.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let's keep it 100 though... Pushing all the mainstream shyt aside (Lil Bow Wow and 50 Cent can :camby:) Dilla, Madlib, Kanye Just Blaze, 9th and Alc, really took hip hop to another level, musically.

As a hardcore hip hop fan, discovering alot of 2000s classics for the first time, like Lord Steppington, Connected, No Poison No Paradise, A Cold Day in Hell and some of Dilla's more obscure stuff... it's hard to go back to the 90s :damn:

I mean you compare an album like Dah Shinin, or Hell on Earth to the kaleidoscope of creativity that is Madvillainy... shyt aint even fair

Legends never die though - No one will ever be able to emulate what RZA and Dre did in their prime

They didn't push Hip Hop any further musically than what Mannie Fresh, The Neptunes, Timbaland, Havoc,Q-Tip, Organized Noize/Earthtone III were already doing. They were pumping out new styles and setting trends seemingly with every new project that featured their production. When everything was moving fast and everyone had their own unique styles, they were coming with production that still pushed boundaries.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
They didn't push Hip Hop any further musically than what Mannie Fresh, The Neptunes, Timbaland, Havoc,Q-Tip, Organized Noize/Earthtone III were already doing. They were pumping out new styles and setting trends seemingly with every new project that featured their production. When everything was moving fast and everyone had their own unique styles, they were coming with production that still pushed boundaries.
Im not saying Madlib should be revered like Premo or Dre, because he shouldn't. But I am saying that the creative potential of hip hop production has only been fully realized in the last 15 years :manny:

It's not that Dilla, Kanye, alchemist etc were more talented then their predecessors. It's that they were almost equal in talent, and had access to digital technology.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
the Snoops, Wu's, Outkasts, etc didnt have to say the prior era was overrated to garner the spotlight. They made classic music and were embraced by the fans. If he and other rappers of this generation did the same they too would be embraced.

And they were embraced by the gen prior. That lasted all the way up to the 2000's.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
At this point, yes 90's rap is overrated, just because its overrated doesn't mean its bad, however it does provide quite the delusion for many an old head. I can't even say that so and so is a better lyricist than Pac or Biggie without people getting flustered. The 90's was a sound, it was a cadence, it was a bout story telling, not bringing out the thesaurus...and I can appreciate that, however overrated it became.

Apex

Banned
Daps
I've been trying to listen to Enter The 36 Chambers, and I'm not into it as much as I am illmatic. Maybe Wu-Tang isn't for me. I just prefer today's music sonically.