Video: Pharrell Drink Champs Episode

TrifeGod

Chasing The Dragon
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Did Pharrell weite his own raps on those re up gang mixtapes? Did they bring that time up ever? Cause he was rapping rapping

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
I never really listened to Justified all the way thru...I’m listening to it right now and you can definitely tell this shyt was meant for MJ. I always liked Rock Your Body but I never listened to Timberlake besides Sexyback.

Pharrell(and Chad) have been my favorite producers since I actually figured out what a music producer was. My friend in 8th grade gave me The Neptune’s Presents The Clones and then we were bumping the UK version of In Search Of at my 14th birthday party :russ: and I been a stan ever since. I was kind of mad when they started working with Britney, JT and No Doubt and shyt like that but I appreciate it now.

I like how he talked about how they got that Neptune’s sound. I always assumed they were trying to recreate the sound of a guitar digitally. That clavichord sound was so futuristic sounding to me back in the day. I also remember people hating on the sound and saying all they shyt sound the same but like Pharrell said it was what they kept gravitating too and it became their signature sound.

Good interview...and Pharrell was ripped at the end :laff:

CAVEMAN

PyrexPyramid
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans/Bay
I thought he had already been on. Nore has worn out their stories.

it is going to take P 30 minutes to tell the story of how/why he recorded the intro to superthug
haha yup, P was about to tell that exact story & Nore cut him off :martin:

The Mike Jackson story :deadmanny::deadmanny::deadmanny:
Mike gave all the beats on 'Justified' the :camby:because he didn't think NORE would rhyme on them.

"Maaan, Michael don't want that shyt - he wants the shyt you're giving Noreaga. He wants the 'Superthug' and 'Oh No!' :birdman::ufdup::stopitslime:"

Mike :mj: on a Superthug remix though:banderas:

Honestly MJ was right, Pharrell should've gave MJ some hard shyt too then. Imagine if Pharrell actually listened humbly to what Michael Jackson requested (which he did want Neptunes beats, just not the kind Pharrell was pushing to him), and gave MJ some hard wildout club banger type shyt that makes you want to throw chairs in the club, that "Nore would rhyme on" type shyt, -- you know Michael Jackson would have slid allllllll the fukk over those and known what to do with them and we'd have gotten some revelatory modern classics that would still bang today. We missed out on that cuz Pharrell fronting...

And who knows, after they got a few bangers in the direction that MJ wanted to go, then maybe Pharrell could have slid him the Justified tracks again and there would have been more trust to rock those too. Cuz those tracks def woulda worked too, you can imagine MJ on them, they sounded like predictable MJ shyt, and MJ would've done em way better than Justin Timberlake did.

but Pharrell was just trying to give MJ shyt that he thought sounded like a MJ song, and was making them to sound like what he thought a Michael Jackson song should sound like. Which is honestly pretty arrogant.

Lupe said a similar thing about working with Pharrell, that Pharrell would only give him softer ATCQ-inspired sounding stuff, basically typecasting Lupe into what Pharrell thought Lupe should be making.

I think Earl Sweatshirt said similar too, that he wanted the weird crazy innovative Neptunes bangers, but Pharrell would only give him chill underground type stuff. Maybe in the case of say Lupe & Earl you could argue maybe those were more like a charity case for Pharrell, and an outlet for Pharrell to flex a style he doesnt get to do often. But, when we're talking Michael fukking Jackson???? You wanna be so cocky that you refuse to make him something in the direction he requests??? :snoop:

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
Honestly MJ was right, Pharrell should've gave MJ some hard shyt too then. Imagine if Pharrell actually listened humbly to what Michael Jackson requested (which he did want Neptunes beats, just not the kind Pharrell was pushing to him), and gave MJ some hard wildout club banger type shyt that makes you want to throw chairs in the club, that "Nore would rhyme on" type shyt, -- you know Michael Jackson would have slid allllllll the fukk over those and known what to do with them and we'd have gotten some revelatory modern classics that would still bang today. We missed out on that cuz Pharrell fronting...

And who knows, after they got a few bangers in the direction that MJ wanted to go, then maybe Pharrell could have slid him the Justified tracks again and there would have been more trust to rock those too. Cuz those tracks def woulda worked too, you can imagine MJ on them, they sounded like predictable MJ shyt, and MJ would've done em way better than Justin Timberlake did.

but Pharrell was just trying to give MJ shyt that he thought sounded like a MJ song, and was making them to sound like what he thought a Michael Jackson song should sound like. Which is honestly pretty arrogant.

Lupe said a similar thing about working with Pharrell, that Pharrell would only give him softer ATCQ-inspired sounding stuff, basically typecasting Lupe into what Pharrell thought Lupe should be making.

I think Earl Sweatshirt said similar too, that he wanted the weird crazy innovative Neptunes bangers, but Pharrell would only give him chill underground type stuff. Maybe in the case of say Lupe & Earl you could argue maybe those were more like a charity case for Pharrell, and an outlet for Pharrell to flex a style he doesnt get to do often. But, when we're talking Michael fukking Jackson???? You wanna be so cocky that you refuse to make him something in the direction he requests??? :snoop:

Never looked at it as being arrogant or cocky. I thought he made templates with the artist in mind to measure interest. For example, a Soul/Funk feel would be presented to an artist who mainly does Soul/Funk, Rock feel to a Rock artist, etc.

A producer wouldn't know what an artist wants until they've spoken; it wasn't like MJ told him he wanted grimy beats like NORE beforehand. The beats/songs were already made when he initially spoke to MJ. We also have no clue if Pharrell refused MJ's request or not.

Same with Lupe and Earl, he made something similar to what they've already done. The difference is he actually worked with them in person, so he was able to get their feedback and make the appropriate changes. Speaking of Lupe, I wish someone would've asked about Child Rebel Soldier.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
haha yup, P was about to tell that exact story & Nore cut him off :martin:

Post is all facts, line for line:whew:

Interview was dope as well like I figured it would be. There were a few topics not touched upon though :ufdup:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Never looked at it as being arrogant or cocky. I thought he made templates with the artist in mind to measure interest. For example, a Soul/Funk feel would be presented to an artist who mainly does Soul/Funk, Rock feel to a Rock artist, etc.

A producer wouldn't know what an artist wants until they've spoken; it wasn't like MJ told him he wanted grimy beats like NORE beforehand. The beats/songs were already made when he initially spoke to MJ. We also have no clue if Pharrell refused MJ's request or not.

Same with Lupe and Earl, he made something similar to what they've already done. The difference is he actually worked with them in person, so he was able to get their feedback and make the appropriate changes. Speaking of Lupe, I wish someone would've asked about Child Rebel Soldier.

Countless stories of artist out there that have the :shaq2::why: face when they receive beats/music that sounds like some stuff they already rocked on in the past, some artist want some stuff that will keep their creative process churning and not boxed in. Pharrell is that dude though, just went about it the wrong way imo.