Video: Pharrell Drink Champs Episode

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Never looked at it as being arrogant or cocky. I thought he made templates with the artist in mind to measure interest. For example, a Soul/Funk feel would be presented to an artist who mainly does Soul/Funk, Rock feel to a Rock artist, etc.

A producer wouldn't know what an artist wants until they've spoken; it wasn't like MJ told him he wanted grimy beats like NORE beforehand. The beats/songs were already made when he initially spoke to MJ. We also have no clue if Pharrell refused MJ's request or not.

Same with Lupe and Earl, he made something similar to what they've already done. The difference is he actually worked with them in person, so he was able to get their feedback and make the appropriate changes. Speaking of Lupe, I wish someone would've asked about Child Rebel Soldier.

he shouldve approached it like Timberland did Jay in fade to black black album beats... you could have some you tailored for said artist but you can also play some stuff you working on with nobody in mind.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Countless stories of artist out there that have the :shaq2::why: face when they receive beats/music that sounds like some stuff they already rocked on in the past, some artist want some stuff that will keep their creative process churning and not boxed in. Pharrell is that dude though, just went about it the wrong way imo.
Very dope post right here, but let me present the flip side of the coin regarding the bolded.

I never thought about this until I listened to a podcast where Alchemist was talking about how working with Currensy on Covert Coup changed his career. He was saying that even as well established as he was at that point, he was really second guessing himself because He hadn't worked with Currensy before. So he was like, "Man, should I try to tailor some beats for him and give him something that's more like what he's already rocked over? Or should I give him some more stuff from my lane and just trust that he's coming to me for my sound?" He said Currensy taught him to just trust himself and his sound when working with newer and younger artists.

And he went on to say that if an established producer like himself would have 2nd guessed himself like that, that it's probably really easy for newer producers (or even established producers trying make really big placements) to sometimes try to make beats that sound like stuff that the artist has already made before. It's a safe choice, and it can feel less risky than giving them something new and fresh.

Anyways. This is a reason why I like long-term working artist/producer relationships as opposed to one-off placements. I think most artists and producer combos tend to figure each other out better as time goes on, and they develop more trust and comfort in each other.
:dame:

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
I love hip hop but 3 hours of drink champs? Ya'll actually watch and listen to it?
Whether at work in the office or working from home, I have one AirPod bud in an ear listening to podcasts throughout the day while multitasking.

I actually feel weird if I work without it. Been doing it since way back when I would listen to sports radio while working.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Very dope post right here, but let me present the flip side of the coin regarding the bolded.

I never thought about this until I listened to a podcast where Alchemist was talking about how working with Currensy on Covert Coup changed his career. He was saying that even as well established as he was at that point, he was really second guessing himself because He hadn't worked with Currensy before. So he was like, "Man, should I try to tailor some beats for him and give him something that's more like what he's already rocked over? Or should I give him some more stuff from my lane and just trust that he's coming to me for my sound?" He said Currensy taught him to just trust himself and his sound when working with newer and younger artists.

And he went on to say that if an established producer like himself would have 2nd guessed himself like that, that it's probably really easy for newer producers (or even established producers trying make really big placements) to sometimes try to make beats that sound like stuff that the artist has already made before. It's a safe choice, and it can feel less risky than giving them something new and fresh.

Anyways. This is a reason why I like long-term working artist/producer relationships as opposed to one-off placements. I think most artists and producer combos tend to figure each other out better as time goes on, and they develop more trust and comfort in each other.
:dame:

Excellent post as well:salute:, it has me thinking about the dope producer/artist combos in music that fit the bill:wow:

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
I'm loving so far, gonna finish this tomorrow. I know exactly what I'm getting with Nore when he does his "interviews" but get mad every single time :heh:

I love Neptunes/Pharrell/NERD production so much man. So many good times from his hits lol.

I got a Pharrell & Jackson 5 collab in Apple Music "Never Can Say Goodbye" remix...I wanna hear MORE of that. I don't even know where it came from, I just happened to stumble upon it, wish he did a whole album like that:sadcam: