Victoria (2015) - MOTY Contender! 138 minute German thriller drama shot in a SINGLE take!

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Is it good though? I'm kind of getting tired of movies that put technical achievements above storytelling and acting. Will peep though:manny:

It actually is that good. Hell, I would never praise a movie for just being technically impressive if I didn't think it was truly that good, unlike certain bird-watchers.

In this case the single take shooting style actually helps strengthen the storytelling because while the story is pretty simple and straight forward you get a much stronger connection with the characters as it feels like you're with them on this journey the entire time. I've seen some reviews call out some of the dubious character actions, especially as the movie reaches the second half, but to me it all fit into the narrative since they establish early on what drives the characters and then basically forces you to accept that they're going to act on that drive against better judgment.

I've already said my piece on the acting but again, there are occasions where you can tell it's improv but even the parts where it's obvious aren't holding the movie back because the chemistry and all-around acting is top notch.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
It actually is that good. Hell, I would never praise a movie for just being technically impressive if I didn't think it was truly that good, unlike certain bird-watchers.

In this case the single take shooting style actually helps strengthen the storytelling because while the story is pretty simple and straight forward you get a much stronger connection with the characters as it feels like you're with them on this journey the entire time. I've seen some reviews call out some of the dubious character actions, especially as the movie reaches the second half, but to me it all fit into the narrative since they establish early on what drives the characters and then basically forces you to accept that they're going to act on that drive against better judgment.

I've already said my piece on the acting but again, there are occasions where you can tell it's improv but even the parts where it's obvious aren't holding the movie back because the chemistry and all-around acting is top notch.
I respect your opinion on movies so I'll peep, I just was wary since the technical feat seemed to be the selling point. I don't mind improv being obvious if the story is engaging enough. It might add to the quality actually.

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I respect your opinion on movies so I'll peep, I just was wary since the technical feat seemed to be the selling point. I don't mind improv being obvious if the story is engaging enough. It might add to the quality actually.

They oversell it a bit in the trailer but I do feel it's fair because it does add to the experience.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
When I saw that he also worked on Rams I was wondering if he was one of the guys you know. Is he? :patrice:

Nah but right now he's shooting another feature film here. I looked at his IMDB page I'm shocked dude is still shooting shorts

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Today was the last time theaters were showing it so I had to catch it. Can't remember the last time I went to see a movie twice that I actually had to pay full admission for. :lupe: Brokeback Mountain maybe? :patrice:

Anyway, still awe-inspiring flick. Frederick Lau and Laia Costa are such fukking talents, I think the second time around they impressed me even more than they did the first time.

Btw, it drops in limited theaters next week, although knowing how much disrespect arthouse gets in the US it'll probably be in like 12 theaters at best.

what did you think of Stereo ?

i liked it.

Never seen it.