Vice ETHERED Troy Ave UPDATE: (Troy Responds In Angie Martinez Interview)

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Dudes really don't give a fukk about Troy Ave in NYC though, I'm in the BX and Joey BADA$$ when he dropped his first mixtape actually had a little movement and a lot of people were raving about him and his video for Waves was being played on MTV. Troy Ave is getting some radio spins but I wouldn't say NYC fukks with him like that.

I don't care that a cac wrote this it's pretty spot on, dude is way too loud, his gimmick comes around as corny and he's way too arrogant. Plenty of dudes in NYC better than him talent wise. Marciano, Bronson, Joey Bad, CJ Fly, DZA, Ferg, Rocky, Nast, Exquire, Saigon, Chinx among others are better.

Live.Love. A$AP, Long.Live. A$AP, Trap Lord, Dream.Zone.Achieve, George Kush, Reloaded, Marcberg, 1999, The Greatest Story Never Told, Blue Chips 2, Rare Chandeliers, Thee Way I See It, Mac & Cheese 3 are all better projects than Troy Ave's.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everyone fakes it until they make it, to be fair I guess. Jay was a nobody at one point, giving DJs money to play his records. But

Interesting. Which Troy Ave songs do they play?
Jay and Dame were making videos in '96 acting like multi millionaires. We all laughed when Rick Ross was talking "200 m's" and all that money shyt when he was barely on the scene. Biggie was talking about "interviews by the pool". Niccas with that charisma can finesse that fantasy into an actual perception which in many cases IS reality. Troy is gonna bang that drum and play that role, but you can't hate a nicca for doing what has been done for decades.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Jay and Dame were making videos in '96 acting like multi millionaires. We all laughed when Rick Ross was talking "200 m's" and all that money shyt when he was barely on the scene. Biggie was talking about "interviews by the pool". Niccas with that charisma can finesse that fantasy into an actual perception which in many cases IS reality. Troy is gonna bang that drum and play that role, but you can't hate a nicca for doing what has been done for decades.

Agreed. However my problem with Troy is that he doesn't have the music, personality, or charisma to pull it off. Dude is small, pudgy, he's not a presence basically. Jay had swag, Biggie looked imposing, 50 Cent was convincing, etc. I don't see that in Troy. But that's secondary to the music: he doesn't have a song or project that makes me go aite, this dude could be a problem. Jay came out the gate with dope shyt, Biggie had Party & Bullshyt, 50 had a bunch of mixtape material.

Troy also spends way too much time talking about the past. The most successful NY acts of recent memory did their own thing. Dipset had their own look and sound. G-Unit had a certain style. Troy seems way too regular to me. Not saying he needs to do something crazy or play dress up like ASAP Mob, but I need to see something "new" or exciting.

It's the same problem Pro Era has IMO. They're so focused on replicating the past that they don't have a personality.

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
the FUUUUUUUCK does "rap history" have to do with anything?

Get the fukk outta here with that tripe.

Kanye has helped MORE SUBURBAN BLACK KIDS (the kids of MOST of these rappers you're so fond of would end up being) to express themselves musically in a rap climate that was previously unfavorable towards them.

Him and Pharrell have done more to help shift away from negative aspects of black violence and insanity in rap/urban music than most other artists since 2000.
CRS :blessed:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Agreed. However my problem with Troy is that he doesn't have the music, personality, or charisma to pull it off. Dude is small, pudgy, he's not a presence basically. Jay had swag, Biggie looked imposing, 50 Cent was convincing, etc. I don't see that in Troy. But that's secondary to the music: he doesn't have a song or project that makes me go aite, this dude could be a problem. Jay came out the gate with dope shyt, Biggie had Party & Bullshyt, 50 had a bunch of mixtape material.

Troy also spends way too much time talking about the past. The most successful NY acts of recent memory did their own thing. Dipset had their own look and sound. G-Unit had a certain style. Troy seems way too regular to me. Not saying he needs to do something crazy or play dress up like ASAP Mob, but I need to see something "new" or exciting.

It's the same problem Pro Era has IMO. They're so focused on replicating the past that they don't have a personality.
I heard someone say this on a podcast and it seems to be true:

This "generation" is so focused on promotion with NOTHING to promote. They're all about the proclaiming what they are before they've actually done anything.

Frida Giezman

Banned
Daps
so i just heard a couple of his songs on youtube

cigar smoke and dirty martini

hes pretty dope lol

:yeshrug:

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416

This "generation" is so focused on promotion with NOTHING to promote. They're all about the proclaiming what they are before they've actually done anything.

Spot on but that's because this is the Jay Z generation

Lyrics are all:

"I'm this..", " I done had this", "I'm like"

sun raw

All Star
Daps

Yeah this is crazy accurate.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
All rappers have always done the "I'm the greatest/best/etc" but the difference was they did it in their music and it showed, you can tell they believed it and put effort into their product. These new nikkas say it all the time without the good music and the laziness

I won't call Troy Ave lazy because I know he does work hard. But he doesn't produce enough quality music to talk the way he does, so it rubs people off the wrong way. It would be the equivalent of a first round pick coming to the Celtics, who's averaging 10 PPG talking about "Larry Bird ain't the man no more. I run Boston"