Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets (July 21, 2017)

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
I completely let my Imagination go for this 1. I turned Off my Brain because I knew it was going to be Bonkers. It was exactly that, Bonkers but I realized the Story was going to get so much Hate about 40 Minutes in. I liked it though. I saw it in 3D too, I will say that the 3D could have been a little bit Sharper but other than it was Good to me.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Dope concept and visuals. Knew lead actors would disappoint going in. Don't quite know what they were thinking with casting. When Rihanna gives one of the better acting performances in the movie, you know your in trouble. Had no clue the movie was titled after the male lead. He has no charisma and looks too weak. But thought it was entertaining enough overall considering i saw a $4 matinee.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I actually completely disagree breh. Rihanna ruined the movie :dead: you can tell they just took a part that she managed to cast for, then bloated her role massively once they got underway. Its outright comical how jarring her scenes departure from the theme of the movie is.

I'm not saying that Rihanna alone tanked this movie, not at all, but her shyt is cringeworthy.
we can't bust in there because it'd create a diplomatic shytsorm! ..... *10 minutes into infiltration valerian ends up killing everyone there anyways* then rihanna literally dies in the trash :heh:

there's whole run of exploration and interaction then they put you in a chair for a trash cabaret show, a "you're more than what you are, shapeshifter girl" spiel, and a straight up confusing jailbreak scenario.
valerian runs through half the walls in the station like the hulk because of the suit - but laureline, wearing the same suit, suddenly can't run out of a primitive fort?

shyt threw the whole movie for me. its gorgeous, fun, and a sci-fi junkies dream - but rihanna's entire bit is fast forward. and i hope the scifi producers remaining stop going for this gimmick of installing pop acts or changing scripts to make shyt 'more accessible'

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
They were fine :yeshrug: I blame the script being stale and an afterthought more than anything else. There's more depth to a single chase scene than there is to any of the characters there.

Its almost like the beginning of the movie and the end are shot on different scripts and different directors.

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
Cool effects, cool concepts, shytty story and even shyttier acting. Wasn't expecting Clive Owen Ethan Hawke and John Goodman to be in this.
Rihanna was looking sexy though :shaq: but when she turned into that jello alien :chillhov:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Finally got around to seeing it. I feel like starting my review the same way I did with Lucy, which is stating that Luc Besson consistently shows that there's still a very talented filmmaker hidden inside of him, but he can also be such a misguided filmmaker. Let's start with the obvious, this film is stunning to look at. Like seriously, this movie kinda proves how much money the Hollywood system wastes because even though this is an expensive movie, it looks like like every dollar was well-spent as far as the visuals go. Many of the scenes are just fukking 'Wow!' to see and I appreciated that most of the time Besson would take the time to show it off too. It is full blown-out comic book scifi so it would be easy to think it looks like some cartoon shyt but it is handled so well visually that you just buy every ridiculous moment of it.

But damn did he go wrong with the casting. @Saint1 already mentioned it above but I was fukking dying at Dane DeHaan doing a Keanu Reeves impression for the entire movie. That shyt was at the least an 8/10 impression too which is kinda :russ: in its own right but why the fukk would you have your $200 million scifi movie lead character purposely channel Keanu Reeves in the first place? shyt makes zero sense. :deadrose:

And holy fukk, the chemistry between him and Delevingne was just awful. It was in fact so bad, that during the part of the movie where Valerian disappears and Laureline has to look for him, her performance becomes noticeably better. Like it's not even as if there's no chemistry there, she actually seems to be completely out of her comfort zone just being in the dude's presence.:huhldup:

Like The Fifth Element this will end up being a cult classic. It has so much questionable bad stuff in it, but at the same time it's also a unique unparalleled scifi experience. Where else can you get a scifi movie that spends 5 minutes on a dance sequence featuring a transforming Rihanna swinging on a stripper pole as Ethan Hawke plays on a futuristic organ that somehow plays a very 2017-ish sounding Will.I.Am produced pop mix? Exactly! :blessed:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Saw this for free last week, other than the questionable casting of the 2 leads I really don't see what the problem was. The movie was exactly what it was suppose to be an entertaining but light on substance action adventure blockbuster

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Finally got around to seeing it. I feel like starting my review the same way I did with Lucy, which is stating that Luc Besson consistently shows that there's still a very talented filmmaker hidden inside of him, but he can also be such a misguided filmmaker. Let's start with the obvious, this film is stunning to look at. Like seriously, this movie kinda proves how much money the Hollywood system wastes because even though this is an expensive movie, it looks like like every dollar was well-spent as far as the visuals go. Many of the scenes are just fukking 'Wow!' to see and I appreciated that most of the time Besson would take the time to show it off too. It is full blown-out comic book scifi so it would be easy to think it looks like some cartoon shyt but it is handled so well visually that you just buy every ridiculous moment of it.

But damn did he go wrong with the casting. @Saint1 already mentioned it above but I was fukking dying at Dane DeHaan doing a Keanu Reeves impression for the entire movie. That shyt was at the least an 8/10 impression too which is kinda :russ: in its own right but why the fukk would you have your $200 million scifi movie lead character purposely channel Keanu Reeves in the first place? shyt makes zero sense. :deadrose:

And holy fukk, the chemistry between him and Delevingne was just awful. It was in fact so bad, that during the part of the movie where Valerian disappears and Laureline has to look for him, her performance becomes noticeably better. Like it's not even as if there's no chemistry there, she actually seems to be completely out of her comfort zone just being in the dude's presence.:huhldup:

Like The Fifth Element this will end up being a cult classic. It has so much questionable bad stuff in it, but at the same time it's also a unique unparalleled scifi experience. Where else can you get a scifi movie that spends 5 minutes on a dance sequence featuring a transforming Rihanna swinging on a stripper pole as Ethan Hawke plays on a futuristic organ that somehow plays a very 2017-ish sounding Will.I.Am produced pop mix? Exactly! :blessed:
Their chemistry was so bad that my friend kept saying that dude must've had a smell :dead:

Delevigne was actually pretty spot on to her character but there was just so much dumb shyt surrounding her that it wasn't even fair
we can't have a diplomatic incident:francis: *20 minutes later* kills EVERYONE