“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Things I've noticed on the rewatch so far:
1. Red was whistling correctly when she invaded the house. One of the clues to her being the og.
2. Why would Gabe's duplicate knock him out, put him in a trash bag. and take him on the boat? Why

I think it's something that Gabe would actually do himself.... :mjlol::francis:
Just like when the Tethered Gabe was on the boat and the engine cut off and he tried to knock it back on the same way Gabe done earlier. Pretty much their actions, even their stupidity are the same.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just going by my own knowledge of random shyt. Rabbits were actually successfully cloned so that was the connection to it piggy backing off of a government experiment

also, metaphorically, they were originally locked up and cage... then later were let go and freed... the same correlation to the Tethered.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like people are only calling it bad because they were confused, it also seems like a movie that you have to PAY ATTENTION TO!!! in order to get it. I've seen way more good/great reviews than bad so I'll catch it tomorrow.
No, not at all. Watch the movie before you make statements like this. Not confused at all. Watch it and make your own determination

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
also, metaphorically, they were originally locked up and cage... then later were let go and freed... the same correlation to the Tethered.
Here's a thought
In some ways Red was martyr. Most tend to die before seeing their rebellion come to fruition. She was like the Moses to the Tethered. :wow:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Youtube comment

Don't think its a spoiler, but
Also, the Thriller shirt was a subtle clue. In the Thriller video, Michael is both a good guy and bad guy, both 'tethered' and 'un-tethered.'
:wow:

another one..

In the beginning of the movie when she’s watching tv and to the right there’s a nightmare on elm street vhs tape. Hence why they wear a glove.... or micheal Jackson but I’ll take either one.

When you realize some of it just based on what she last experienced. Nightmare on Elm Street was out around that time...Thriller.....damn.

Red :mjcry:

EARFQUAKE

🥰
Supporter
Daps
Warning, this review is long. First it's a breakdown and explanation of all the film's important aspects, and then I critique it.

I thought I was going to have a hard time following the symbolisms, imagery, and more to understand the film but it was pretty straight forward. Sure, it was obvious at times but I think they were executed well.

First, the very beginning talks about hundreds and thousands of miles of tunnels, some that serve unknown purposes. That's our first "hint" but really, Peele is telling us right away that these tunnels are used for secret government projects, ie the clones to control people. This is somewhat supported and foreshadowed by the daughter talking about the conspiracy theory that "the government puts fluoride in our water to control our minds...oh that's right, I forgot, no one cares about the world ending :comeon:"

Next, the behavior of our MC which I'll call Ade (pre Red) because I don't feel like dealing with my phone's autocorrect on that. First, Ade is watching a series of TV commercials which she barely reacts to. It could be a hint at mindless TV rotting our brains or just a testament to Ade's personality. I feel like she's an unhappy child because she's in an unhappy environment. Her parents love her but are clearly on the brink of separation. She pays close attention to their behavior and notices the lack of love between the two. I think that she may feel a bit bad for her dad who is somewhat lousy but does what he thinks is best for her. Her mother is tired of his shyt and can barely tolerate him.

According to "Red", clones (shadows) are supposed to be used to control people on the surface, but this clearly isn't always the case, nor has it been. So we're not sure if the clones were still an experiment or an actual imperfect and incomplete project. The latter could be the case because Red mentioned that the people who created copies couldn't grasp the idea of two separate souls instead of sharing one, and constantly working in the environment of shadows drove them insane, which would explain why the clones were able to leave the tunnels and do what they wanted under no authority (rabbits being out of their cages is another indicator).
Red mentioned that it was God that brought the two together, because one does not simply meet their doppelganger. It has to be a coincidence that it happens.The whole purpose, or rather, the way the world is set up is that the shadows live in a parallel life of their original, replicating their lives in a fashion either intended by the government or by the original's free will.
With that being said, shadows do not have free will, or rather they are not as free as they'd like, because they are shadows created to replicate their copies. The lightening and the escalator are two essential factors that draw both OG Ade and shadow Ade to the same location. It's a coincidence like the frisbee perfectly landing on the same sized circle or noticing the time at 11:11. Things have to line up in order to meet. Shadow Ade would have not gone up the escalator had OG Ade not decided to, and this is left a bit abstract because shadow Ade, who maliciously switched out with OG, told her husband that she didn't know why she decided to wander off, but that's when we didn't know that she was speaking about wandering off from the tunnels as a shadow. This could either be a hint that shadows are aimlessly living the life of their originals, reinforcing the theory that shadows have no free will, or shadow Ade was just omitting the truth because she's a fukking liar like that.

Next, I'd like to talk about [shadow] Ade's fear of OG. She doesn't want to go to the beach, she's clearly traumatized and the movie likes to lead us to believe it's because of her going missing as a child. In reality, Ade knows she's a ain't shyt bytch who left behind a person who had lived on the surface. She knows that when things line up perfectly, coincidences, her doppelganger is likely to show up under the same circumstances or similar circumstances from when they were little. This is why she tells her husband that she's always felt she'd come back for her. Ade knows that OG has every right to be mad. And boy is she :banderas:

Ade already knows the deal from the moment the shadows arrive. This is why she tries to tell her husband to STFU when talking to the OG, Red, because Ade knows this woman is out to seek vengeance, they just don't know in what manner. Ade cuffs herself to the table because this is exactly what she did to Red.

I think it's safe to leave out explaining why Red's voice sounds the way it does and why she's the only "shadow" capable of speaking.

Moving on, Red's mannerisms are that of someone who is trying to get back control, from the way she walks, moves and remains calm while her shadow family are being mollywhopped.

The scissors are pretty straightforward, cut the ties that bind you. In this case, the clones are killing their originals because their lives had been controlled by them. Also the double symbolism mentioned in a tweet about two of the same on opposite sides created to divide or some shyt like that.

Caged rabbits represent experiments and mankind's ability and almost obsession to clone. Cloning is a capability getting closer and closer to success. In the introduction the shot focuses on the bunny in the center which begins to behave oddly the more you look at it. During Red's monolog about souls not being able to be replicated, it pans to the caged rabbit we saw in the beginning, indicating that this rabbit was a clone and it was soulless. It would make sense that rabbits are cloned as well in order to sustain food provisions for all the shadows. This is the ONLY thing they ate their entire lives.

On second thought I'll finish this review later. I'm tired af.

TBC...

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just finished seeing it.

Boy Jordan Peele is NOT out here playing:wow:

The best way for me to describe Us is if Get Out was Peele’s Illmatic then Us is his It Was Written. A slicker, sleaker, followup bursting with lots of grand ideas and ambitions. Its not QUITE on Get Out’s level as Get Out is a singular achievement in film (true lightning in a bottle) but it’s definitely a phenomenal piece of work. Lupita absolutely carried the film, she killed it. She is NO fluke as an actress she’s got the gift.

Only complaints were the big “reveal” is something you can guess pretty easily, which isn’t a complaint per say but the final 15 or so minutes kind of hinges on it, so if you’ve already guessed it then the intensity of the climax is kind of lost. Also there’s a bit of “movie” logic thrown in to get family from point A to B. Otherwise its the best film i’ve seen in the past 6 months or so (If Beale Street Could Talk and Widows held the top spot previously)

DerrtySouthpaw

Gawdisbyke
Daps
Reppin
404 to 205
9/10 I might be in the minority but i enjoyed this more than get out

This movie got me confused as fukk. REd and Adelaide are both bad in their own way. Adelaide did some foul shyt but she ain’t kill nobody (ok at first, she was feeling that shyt later).red was right that the tethered are human and not soulless like the govt thought cause Adelaide never would’ve adapted if she wasn’t. Red is the more evil person but only cause of what happened to her. But that’s why I think this movie is great. At the end when Jason looked at her Like yea bytch I know what’s up and she smiled I didn’t feel bad that she won. Yea she’s tethered but she showed she’s capable of caring about humans too. All those times she smirked as a kid cause she won has me conflicted on her endgame cause she’s Adelaide and red now. I wanna know what happens with the tethered next. Are countries just gonna let that slide or clap the copies? Also I suspect the kids are half tethered. But I don’t feel like explaining cause my points can be refuted

Last edited:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Dope dope film

And Lupita can act her ass off, just became a fan. The whole cast were great tbf

Grateful for Jordan Peele for these black films that avoid racist tropes (slavery/criminals). Hollywood said it couldn't be done tho :snooze:

Can someone help with me with the son? At the end he looks at Red very suspiciously/cynically, does he find out the truth & if so how?

Last edited: