“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
wasn't even thinking about the thriller video haha

the hands across america thing seemed to be the last big event the OG adelaide remembered, it was on tv as a commercial right before the santa cruz commercial, so that was likely her only frame of reference for how to stage a protest the world would see

the boy knowing, i assume it's because his weirdness allowed him to understand why it was different that she was able to talk when the rest didn't...

and i just read something from peele about the rabbits...here's some quotes from him about it, seems like he did it just because Jordan Peele Explains Mythology of “The Tethered” Doppelgänger Creatures in US

i guess my big question is why didn't she leave? it makes sense the others didn't since they're clearly insane, but she wasn't chained up her whole time there, she had cognizance that she didn't belong there and knew the way out...i mean, there would be no movie had she left, but there's no reason within the movie that she couldn't go, it would be one thing if you and your tethered couldn't exist in the same plane, but the killing spree proves otherwise
she went insane. The others weren’t. And she ruled the underground.

That rabbit explanation made no sense to me. I originally thought it was scattered souls.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
she went insane. The others weren’t. And she ruled the underground.

That rabbit explanation made no sense to me. I originally thought it was scattered souls.
what do you mean the others werent? the rest of the people were insane, red/adelaide wasn't. she could've escaped...

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
what do you mean the others werent? the rest of the people were insane, red/adelaide wasn't. she could've escaped...
that was normal to them. They didn’t want to leave and were just playing their lot.

She wasn’t a killer when she went down but became one on her way back. She lost her mind, but with good reason. Think about it like this, she had sex with someone who could only grunt and henhad no control over what he was doing. She lost her mind, they were just following.

And why could she have escaped? How do we know that?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
that was normal to them. They didn’t want to leave and were just playing their lot.

She wasn’t a killer when she went down but became one on her way back. She lost her mind, but with good reason. Think about it like this, she had sex with someone who could only grunt and henhad no control over what he was doing. She lost her mind, they were just following.

And why could she have escaped? How do we know that?
she was dragged down the escalator into the tunnels as a fully functional 8 year old, she wasn't insane, the flashbacks show her out in that hallway as a kid - so having a functional mind and memory, why wouldn't she just go back up the escalator? her going above ground as an adult, 30 something years later, shows she knew the way out...even after losing her mind a bit. there's no magic in this movie, thus my comment about no rule saying they both can't be above ground, there was nothing binding her to that layer, and even the thought of "oh, she was a lost scared kid and didn't know her way out" gets blown up by the premise of her going above ground in the present day events

i'd also like to know more about how/why these people were tethered, especially in regards to living out the same actions. seemed like to experiment failed because the clones didn't embody the "soul"/"mental makeup" of the people they were cloned after.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
tenor.gif

This woman is playing with my emotions. Back to Friday night again after she said it was cool to switch to tonight :snoop:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Much like Get Out I thought this was very, very good, but just batting short of truly great. It's a very impressive regardless, and Peele's cinematic voice continues to grow. One of the most intriguing things continues to be his handling of violence. The film is full of it, but gore hounds can stay at home since he rarely shows it and when he does he much rather frames it in the background of the shot.

I am still trying to piece some things together regarding the bigger socio-political themes of the film, but most of the film's metaphors should be abundantly clear by the end.

she was dragged down the escalator into the tunnels as a fully functional 8 year old, she wasn't insane, the flashbacks show her out in that hallway as a kid - so having a functional mind and memory, why wouldn't she just go back up the escalator? her going above ground as an adult, 30 something years later, shows she knew the way out...even after losing her mind a bit. there's no magic in this movie, thus my comment about no rule saying they both can't be above ground, there was nothing binding her to that layer, and even the thought of "oh, she was a lost scared kid and didn't know her way out" gets blown up by the premise of her going above ground in the present day events

i'd also like to know more about how/why these people were tethered, especially in regards to living out the same actions. seemed like to experiment failed because the clones didn't embody the "soul"/"mental makeup" of the people they were cloned after.
She was chained to the bed by her doppelganger, there is no telling how long she had lived there before she got free, but by that time her mind had already gone insane, and what remained allowed her to plot the escape of all the doppelgangers.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Much like Get Out I thought this was very, very good, but just batting short of truly great. It's a very impressive regardless, and Peele's cinematic voice continues to grow. One of the most intriguing things continues to be his handling of violence. The film is full of it, but gore hounds can stay at home since he rarely shows it and when he does he much rather frames it in the background of the shot.

I am still trying to piece some things together regarding the bigger socio-political themes of the film, but most of the film's metaphors should be abundantly clear by the end.

She was chained to the bed by her doppelganger, there is no telling how long she had lived there before she got free, but by that time her mind had already gone insane, and what remained allowed her to plot the escape of all the doppelgangers.
i guess that could be plausible, but the flashbacks show how they mirror one another, seems like she couldn't have been chained there long enough to go insane (but who knows how long it'd take you to go crazy there) given that she mirrored the dancing, her discussing christmases full of shytty toys and eating rabbit, that all says at some point as a kid she was free. so yea, one take is that she lost it off rip for the time (however short) that she was chained to the bed, but it seems like years of those conditions is what made her crazy, thus the first time she got free, why eat cold rabbit when you can just go back up the stairs?

i'm not trying to harp on this, but given the background of these tethers is a science experiment, it allows for you poke at logic gaps vs. being some mystical explanation

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Just came back from watching

:patrice:

I probably need a second viewing and maybe some convo with the Coli brehs over this one. Overall and I hate to compare it but its obviously no Get Out but its fun. I would say its horror/suspense comedy in someways. It kinda gets right into it and the trailer didnt really hide anything

I did think the twist was obvious from a mile away and made sense as you piece through but nevetheless it was still pretty great when it was revealed that she was the clone all along and her doppleganger was the orignal her

That all said and Im probably being slow as fukk here so feel free to correct me it still didnt explain
Who made the clones and set up the institute,I assume a government project that failed since they are abandoned there? why and how were they able to make a clone of everyone? Do they just able to get everyone's DNA at birth? How did OG Adelaide know her clone would meet and have kids and know to find the same clones? Was she watching her? I get the idea of rising up was inspired by the hands across America but was the dude with the Jeremiah 11:11 sign and his clone of any significance?
And what was the ultimate symbolism of the movie? [/spoiler] You cant trust anyone even those close to you? Matter of fact what did the rabbits mean? Did they eat them were they also clones? [/spoiler]

I guess it was fine though and is worth cop or stream when it his VOD

Feeling like a 7.5-8/10 on it

Lupita and Duke were great as was the daughter