“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Ok. I just read through this whole thread (I had time today.)

My verdict is, Mr Peele’s ambition far exceeded his execution. He was trying to cram too much into the movie which ruined the pacing. Once the tethered family arrived, it just seemed to drag on and on.

I feel people are substituting the symbolism for the lack of a good plot. I don’t need a story spoon fed to me nor do I need every plot hole filled but come on... there’s only so many times I can suspend my disbelief.

Mr Peele definitely had high expectations after Get Out. In fact, it ironically reminds me of Michael Jackson releasing “Bad” after “Thriller.” Thriller was so highly regarded, that Michael Jackson tried to double down on Thriller’s formula with Bad (it was a double album at one point), but it’s ambition to outdo Thriller left us with a less organic, more sterile album. Bad lacked the soul of Thriller.

It’s the same with Us. I know Get Out and Us are different movies but you could feel the organic nature and originality with Get Out. Us (as it has already been mentioned) shamelessly rips off previous sci-fi tv/movies and ends up being a shallow “tribute” to them as opposed to an original fresh idea.

The film’s saving grace are:

The acting. Lupita absolutely killed it. Wow. I knew she was talented but she blew it out of the water. The white family were hilarious and more believable than the main one. It’s a shame they didn’t get more screen time.

The cinematography was outstanding. As it has been mentioned, you can see Kubrick’s influence all through Peele and that is meant as a compliment.

And of course the music was outstanding.

Give Peele time. The expectations are so high for him because he’s one of the few “black” directors given this much creative freedom with so much success. He’s not a master of his craft yet but give him around 10 years or so, and he will be up there with the greats.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale

My verdict is, Mr Peele’s ambition far exceeded his execution. He was trying to cram too much into the movie which ruined the pacing. Once the tethered family arrived, it just seemed to drag on and on.

I feel people are substituting the symbolism for the lack of a good plot. I don’t need a story spoon fed to me nor do I need every plot hole filled but come on... there’s only so many times I can suspend my disbelief.

Mr Peele definitely had high expectations after Get Out. In fact, it ironically reminds me of Michael Jackson releasing “Bad” after “Thriller.” Thriller was so highly regarded, that Michael Jackson tried to double down on Thriller’s formula with Bad (it was a double album at one point), but it’s ambition to outdo Thriller left us with a less organic, more sterile album. Bad lacked the soul of Thriller.

It’s the same with Us. I know Get Out and Us are different movies but you could feel the organic nature and originality with Get Out. Us (as it has already been mentioned) shamelessly rips off previous sci-fi tv/movies and ends up being a shallow “tribute” to them as opposed to an original fresh idea.

The acting. Lupita absolutely killed it. Wow. I knew she was talented but she blew it out of the water. The white family were hilarious and more believable than the main one. It’s a shame they didn’t get more screen time.

The cinematography was outstanding. As it has been mentioned, you can see Kubrick’s influence all through Peele and that is meant as a compliment.

Give Peele time. The expectations are so high for him because he’s one of the few “black” directors given this much creative freedom with so much success. He’s not a master of his craft yet but give him around 10 years or so, and he will be up there with the greats.

The bolded part is facts

Good breakdown

Floyd Pinkerton

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Great post breh. Totally hear you on the Kubrickian approach, especially as it relates to color symbolism, shots that linger on a character just long enough to elicit discomfort, and purposeful framing.

Stop by The Coliseum... we lack posters with critical thinking skills.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Great post breh. Totally hear you on the Kubrickian approach, especially as it relates to color symbolism, shots that linger on a character just long enough to elicit discomfort, and purposeful framing.

Stop by The Coliseum... we lack posters with critical thinking skills.
Appreciate the invite fam. :thumbsup:

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
I remember posters were making the most ridiculous synopsis before the movie even came out:mjlol:

Talking like this was some genius movie
And saying he used African actors because it was a critique on how Black Americans drifted from their roots and shyt:mjlol:

BEFORE THEY EVEN SEEN THE MOVIE:mjlol:

nikkas was like

"he used 'I got 5 on it', because it is a message how if we pooled resources we could get uplifted':mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

Mafukkas didn't even see the movie and just said the most ridiculous shyt:mjlol:

I swear mane gah damm I hate u dudes:mjlol:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
First rewatch, there’s so many things that are intentionally glossed over or half explained (presumably for interpretation during rewatches), that it gave me many opportunities to criticize many pivotal instances

1. I get why Red’s family is supposed to make a game out of killing their clones, per her direction. But there’s no reason why other clones would toy around with them
2. How did Red possibly lose to Adeline
3. As the chosen one, what was stopping Young Adeline from leaving early
4. I think the lil nikka is the only one that mimics his clone above ground bc it was hinted (to some people) that he was also switched, and the story does slightly touch on that with him and his mom showing similar characteristics to each other and those things, but the logistics of that don’t make sense. And why would it be the second child and not the first?
5. How is the country with the most guns in the world falling privy to motherfukkers with scissors
6. If they could come from multiple entrances (“the sewers”), then why couldn’t Adeline have met her twin anywhere else, or...why couldn’t anyone else meet their twin anywhere else? I just don’t understand why this particular person is even special