“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
You might not like the movie. But Jordan Peele be trying to tell us some shyt thru his films.

In Get Out he was telling us about these rich white families using Hypnotic therapy and neuro-linguistic programming to mind control black men and eventually take over their bodies.The film is about social engineering and behavioral modification (e.g. NLP, DHE, NHR)

In US it is also about social engineering and behavioral modification, in relation to developmental psychology and environment. Where we see a clone develop into a real person due to her being socialized and living ABOVE with real humans..thru this the learns to speak, experience love, and emotion etc. She developed into a full fledged human (contrary to the belief the experiment failed).

While the real girl forced to live among the tethered clones digressed because of her socialization during her youth, growing up in the abandoned dysfunctional environment of the tethered.

Also in keeping with the idea of cloning, and social engineering he makes the black family a cheap imitation and tethered of the white family.

They vacation in the same place (though the white family lives on the other side of the island), though the white family house is better, their car is better newer, their boat is better etc. He even makes a point of showing us the black father buying the cheap beat up boat in the name of trying to keep up with the white family.

He wonderfully combined ideas from Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, and the twilight zone esque elements to craft his veiled social commentary.
Everything outside of the story he did just as well as in GO. His ability to craft a world and make interesting, pertinent underlying references in those worlds...one of the best in the game. Even QT kinda whiffed on that with his most recent movie. I just think you get too big for your britches when you make the message bigger than the movie. And some people would argue that’s where Tarantino also failed

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
I got a shirt made
RedAdmiredHermitcrab-size_restricted.gif
and a hoodie made with young Red on on the beach it. and if I’m on a budget for Halloween I can just wash my hair and go as adult Red. :manny: I can make this movie work for me, lol

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Okay so I just watched.
And I gotta say

Off first watch.... Movie is pretty dumb.

I know about the message and yada yada. But it could have been done better. Infact it has.

Production/cinematography looks good, and it does give a good chill based off concept. But bad delivery

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
3. As the chosen one, what was stopping Young Adeline from leaving early
this is is what made the movie seem dumber to me

If she is the chosen one and original one at that , why can't she just simply escape.

That last-minute twist was horrible. Should have stuck to what it was where the original what was the original and the clone was the clone.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol:

Jordan is just making one big live action viral Key & Peele skit. Dude is laughing at y’all for overthinking this BS.

If this shyt was “the Strangers” yall nikkas would be breaking that BS down too lol

Bu but the guys Mask was made of a cloth that was shown flapping in the wind of the beginning credits. So that mean he a higher power:mjlol:
This post is old, but I had to quote and dap it cuz it is so true.

Well I was watching it I felt sometimes like I was watching a dark fantasy key & Peele skit.

And it's one thing to dissect breakdown discuss and analyze a piece of art.

But going back with these post and I'm seeing a lot of people are reaching.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
This was a :trash:movie. Like M. Night Shyamalan type shyt but ima let y’all cook. The fact that y’all are writing dissertations and going down rabbit holes and shyt for it is:bryan:
Lot of shyt getting passes cause it's a "black movie"/made by a black director. After letting it sink in for a week, movie was weak :yeshrug:
Both post spot on.

Replace everyone that is black with a white cast and replace Peele with Shamalayn and nikkas would not be writing books to defend this.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Okay so I just watched.
And I gotta say

I know about the message and yada yada. But it could have been done better. Infact it has.

Production/cinematography looks good, and it does give a good chill based off concept. But bad delivery
Yeah I watched this awhile ago, had big hopes but it was just ok. Inconsistencies all over.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Yeah I watched this awhile ago, had big hopes but it was just ok. Inconsistencies all over.
For me the issue wasn't even all the plot holes.
I think symbolism has ended up confusing folks as well.

I don't see the tethered as 'twins' or 'clones' even though they look like the folks above ground. The rabbits got the idea of 'cloning' in mind. Ultimately I feel the rabbits were unneeded confusion. The 'down the rabbit hole' metaphor adds nothing to the overall film. You've achieved that metaphor already with the following:

Essentially the relationship is more mother and child.

The ones underground and the ones above are tethered to each other. The above feeds the below (Instead of food it's information). The tethered use scissors as weapons because it's what you use to cut an umbilical cord after birth. An umbilical cord ties the mother to the child. An umbilical cord is essentially a tunnel from the mother to the child. The film shows the mother and child relationship throughout but this is the case with the tethered as well.

All of that gets bogged down though when you introduce a physical place for the tethered, clothes worn underground which are similar to the ones above, the rabbits, the ones below behaving like the ones above, the red jumpsuits, the one glove on each hand, etc. So ultimately this ends up confusing people further.

What messes this idea up is the rabbits and tunnels + rabbits and cloning.

I feel there's a tighter movie in here somewhere. Like GoldenGlove above me said, it's the execution. I feel like too many ideas made the whole of this project feel clunky. Either go full supernatual/alternate/mirror dimension or don't. Don't show the audience the tethered live in a physical man-made place. If it's in the real world then people start asking real world questions.
^^^^^ This post sums up some of my issues

It's like Jordan Peele didn't know whether he wants to go. Supernatural horror or go scientific horror.

The movie is all over the place and it didn't have to be. it seems like Jordan didn't know or couldn't make up a decision on what he want the plot to be.

so he just said fukk it and just threw any ole bulshyt to make the movie convuluted as possible to appeal to artsy/abstract crowd.

And conjured up some hogwash for the casual crowd.

and honestly his choice should have been supernatural it would have made more sense and would have delivered better on the execution

In fact the plot hole I have an issue with is why couldn't Adele leave the tethered place if it's a physical location.

It being supernatural location like it being a different dimension would have made more sense and it would have tied the knot on why she didn't escape and how she was trapped in there.

Last edited:

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
For me the issue wasn't even all the plot holes.

^^^^^ This post sums up some of my issues

It's like Jordan Peele didn't know whether he wants to go. Supernatural horror or go scientific horror.

The movie is all over the place and it didn't have to be. it seems like Jordan didn't know or couldn't make up a decision on what he want the plot to be.

so he just said fukk it and just threw any ole bulshyt to make the movie convuluted as possible to appeal to artsy/abstract crowd.

And to make it seem like it's saying something to the casual crowd.

and honestly his choice should have been supernatural it would have made more sense and would have delivered better on the execution

In fact the plot hole I have an issue with is why couldn't Adele leave the tethered place if it's a physical location.

It being supernatural location like it being a different dimension would have made more sense and it would have tied the knot on why she didn't escape and how she was trapped in there.
Exactly, and if the real her was trapped down there how come she had to copy what the tethered version was doing above ground? And so she just chose to stop out of nowhere?

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember posters were making the most ridiculous synopsis before the movie even came out:mjlol:

Talking like this was some genius movie
And saying he used African actors because it was a critique on how Black Americans drifted from their roots and shyt:mjlol:

BEFORE THEY EVEN SEEN THE MOVIE:mjlol:

nikkas was like

"he used 'I got 5 on it', because it is a message how if we pooled resources we could get uplifted':mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

Mafukkas didn't even see the movie and just said the most ridiculous shyt:mjlol:

I swear mane gah damm I hate u dudes:mjlol:

Lmaoooo

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
this is is what made the movie seem dumber to me

If she is the chosen one and original one at that , why can't she just simply escape.

That last-minute twist was horrible. Should have stuck to what it was where the original what was the original and the clone was the clone.
It just didn’t add anything except allowing Peele to throw on some mystique. shyt definitely didn’t answer questions

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Okay so I just watched.
And I gotta say

whats the 1st movie that comes to mind you would say???

I think I said BodySnatchers or some shyt earlier in the thread.