“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
I remember when the movie first came out everybody in this thread was trying to pretend it wasn't garbage :mjlol:....trying to claim we didn't "understand" it. Nah....this shyt was weak from day 1. And it looks like everybody finally came around and realized it :heh:
Fax. nikkas was typing up thesises to explain this weak shyt:mjlol:

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
Another thing that ultimately hurts the film to me is the fact that they showed the audience the underground facility. The tethered should have just showed up above ground. Once you show the audience that the place they came from is in the physical world it opens up so many other question. Not to mention showing them wearing similar clothes to their counterparts above ground and doing similar actions AND feeling the pain of their counterparts (c-section).

'The underground' didn't need to be a physical place. It ruins a lot of the magic.

Even having the tethered come from a literal mirror dimension would make more sense with the little girl walking through the hall of mirrors and her tethered forcing herself into our world. But it being a physical place underground and showing that makes the audience start to question the logic.

godliness

• M Δ § † ë ® ¥ °
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Hands on Green Money
Just watched this for the first time yesterday. Lmao this shyt was garbage all that damn hype :russ: the only tin I can say was Lupita is kinda fine to me:ehh: only than that everything was hot wet trash. Especially the father in this movie, what was the point of making him so bytch made? Literally looked at breh the whole time like:hhh: just a trash movie filled with awkward actors.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I watched this again last night with my sister who hadn't seen it.

2nd viewing didn't make it any better or move it up any for me. Like I said after seeing it in theaters, the execution just wasn't there for this film, and it shows.

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
I think symbolism has ended up confusing folks as well.

I don't see the tethered as 'twins' or 'clones' even though they look like the folks above ground. The rabbits got the idea of 'cloning' in mind. Ultimately I feel the rabbits were unneeded confusion. The 'down the rabbit hole' metaphor adds nothing to the overall film. You've achieved that metaphor already with the following:

Essentially the relationship is more mother and child.

The ones underground and the ones above are tethered to each other. The above feeds the below (Instead of food it's information). The tethered use scissors as weapons because it's what you use to cut an umbilical cord after birth. An umbilical cord ties the mother to the child. An umbilical cord is essentially a tunnel from the mother to the child. The film shows the mother and child relationship throughout but this is the case with the tethered as well.

All of that gets bogged down though when you introduce a physical place for the tethered, clothes worn underground which are similar to the ones above, the rabbits, the ones below behaving like the ones above, the red jumpsuits, the one glove on each hand, etc. So ultimately this ends up confusing people further.

What messes this idea up is the rabbits and tunnels + rabbits and cloning.

I feel there's a tighter movie in here somewhere. Like GoldenGlove above me said, it's the execution. I feel like too many ideas made the whole of this project feel clunky. Either go full supernatual/alternate/mirror dimension or don't. Don't show the audience the tethered live in a physical man-made place. If it's in the real world then people start asking real world questions.

YaFingerDealMe

All Star
Daps

I don't see the tethered as 'twins' or 'clones' even though they look like the folks above ground. The rabbits got the idea of 'cloning' in mind. Ultimately I feel the rabbits were unneeded confusion. The 'down the rabbit hole' metaphor adds nothing to the overall film. You've achieved that metaphor already with the following:

The ones underground and the ones above are tethered to each other. The above feeds the below (Instead of food it's information). The tethered use scissors as weapons because it's what you use to cut an umbilical cord after birth. An umbilical cord ties the mother to the child. An umbilical cord is essentially a tunnel from the mother to the child. The film shows the mother and child relationship throughout but this is the case with the tethered as well.

All of that gets bogged down though when you introduce a physical place for the tethered, clothes worn underground which are similar to the ones above, the rabbits, the ones below behaving like the ones above, the red jumpsuits, the one glove on each hand, etc. So ultimately this ends up confusing people further.

I feel there's a tighter movie in here somewhere. Like GoldenGlove above me said, it's the execution. I feel like too many ideas made the whole of this project feel clunky. Either go full supernatual/alternate/mirror dimension or don't. Don't show the audience the tethered live in a physical man-made place. If it's in the real world then people start asking real world questions.

That damn description though

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

You just did a better job explaining this movie then the director and writer

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Watching for 1st time:jbhmm:

Buddy accent all over the place:patrice:
Pay attention
source.gif

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
The daughter even mo gully than the pops:camby:

A Black man made a stereotypical movie where the Black male star is a buffoon scared spook lame
And the Black woman has to take charge on some Girl Power shyt:scust:

Man fukk a Key or Peel
Which ever 1 made this:scust:

Last edited: