“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Why nikkaz expected Winston Duke to be M’Baku in “Us” still baffles me to this day.

He’s playing a corny suburban dad who gets thrust into a situation completely out of his element
he was a cornball reject Key and Peele character. i thought that, and the Lupita tether were extremely odd acting choices. it was like he didn't want people to forget who was making the movie, but it didn't work with the tone/theme/etc

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
Finally watched this and it was absolute trash. :picard:

This fool musta paid off the reviewers to get that RT score. :beli:
Though I wouldn't say trash, I think people were just caught up in the Peele hype train.

I don't mind if people think the movie was good (I myself thought it was just decent), but right after it came out and after screenings people were on Twitter calling it a "masterpiece". That's the most 'living in the moment' shyt I've seen in a long time when it comes to Hollywood. Good for Peele tho. The success of Get Out had the hype and build up for this movie on another level, and people were way too clouded with the thought process of "Peele is the next horror genius" that their reviews were jilted AF lol.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Though I wouldn't say trash, I think people were just caught up in the Peele hype train.

I don't mind if people think the movie was good (I myself thought it was just decent), but right after it came out and after screenings people were on Twitter calling it a "masterpiece". That's the most 'living in the moment' shyt I've seen in a long time when it comes to Hollywood. Good for Peele tho. The success of Get Out had the hype and build up for this movie on another level, and people were way too clouded with the thought process of "Peele is the next horror genius" that their reviews were jilted AF lol.
Pretty much. When the hype is real and people are way to eager to crown someone as the next dude this is what can happen.

The trailer was amazing and that's usually a bad sign the movie will be underwhelming.

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
Just saw it.

My biggest hangup about the film is the tethered having the same/similar clothes as the folks upstairs. To me it would have made more sense if the tethered were naked but obtained the red outfits later. For clarification on the clothes: I mean the similar looking Thriller shirt which was faded, the ballerina dress, all the tethered downstairs wearing similar clothes to the folks upstairs during the opening, etc.

Brings it more into a supernatural territory. Which is fine but still. Got me thinking of Resident Evil (tangent), though obviously they aren't zombies. As you get closer to the labs in the original Resident Evil 1 or 2 (?) you see that the zombies don't have clothes. They are completely naked.

The tethered actually reenacting everything happening above AND having clothes that their 'other' is wearing kind of...I don't know. Maybe because everything was so grounded that I didn't think that the supernatural would play a factor? I don't know.
--
Also, I don't have a problem with the dad being suburban, goofy, etc but there's a time when even a suburban dad knows that it's time to get serious and stop making jokes. People are trying to kill your family breh. In terms of his character there was actually a good deleted scene with him and his daughter.

I actually think it's a good scene and wish it stayed in the film. It gave more insight into him and I like the father/daughter relationship being shown more. It reveals more of their bond and the father's reliance on the strength of his wife while simultaneously trying to remain strong in front of their daughter. To me it's a scene that makes him strong in the sense that he's trying to reassure his daughter but revealing a vulnerable side of himself at the same time.
--
Kinda felt the end was unnecessary.
--
Overall I appreciate Jordan Peele and what he's doing with genre. Interested in seeing where he goes next.