Urban charter schools are succeeding—so get out of their way

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Seems pretty unfair to compare charter schools to public schools, since public schools have to accept everybody and charter schools can pick and choose.

Any school, public or not will be more successful than the surrounding schools if they can just deny admission to students that are more likely to fail.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Seems pretty unfair to compare charter schools to public schools, since public schools have to accept everybody and charter schools can pick and choose.

Any school, public or not will be more successful than the surrounding schools if they can just deny admission to students that are more likely to fail.

that is just a myth, the reality is that just about all charter schools have lotteries

and again the best way to solve this non issue is if we just get rid of the public schools and have all schools be charters or vouchers

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
its not true its completely false, the public education system has destroyed generations of black children
completely irrelevant, but continue with the race baiting maybe it will distract people long enough to swallow your agenda
what?

so which one came first, in your mind?
let's see which one came first for black children in America, the fukked society or an education system? that's a hard one

yeah it is, so why are you trying to separate it
untrue, I can only explain it to ya, i can't force you to admit to understanding exactly what I am saying nor can I make you understand it
how am i contradicting myself
see above answer

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
completely irrelevant, but continue with the race baiting maybe it will distract people long enough to swallow your agenda

the destruction of the young black mind by the current public school system is irrelevant and race baiting..........ok

let's see which one came first for black children in America, the fukked society or an education system? that's a hard one

im not sure there is any point in separating the two, the problem is that your analysis is bogus, you essentially want to keep the same education system and you want to fix society and then after society is fixed (making everybody equal, saving the whales, promote union jobs and world peace) you think that will automatically fix the education system

in other words you dont think the education system needs to be fixed or addressed

this is the type of liberal mumbo jumbo that black people need to stay away from, when it comes to school reform liberals cant be trusted

untrue, I can only explain it to ya, i can't force you to admit to understanding exactly what I am saying nor can I make you understand it

i understand what you are saying perfectly, and i think its bullshyt

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
that is just a myth, the reality is that just about all charter schools have lotteries

and again the best way to solve this non issue is if we just get rid of the public schools and have all schools be charters or vouchers

No, it's not actually.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
You're a pathological liar. I've seen it practiced first hand.

i know you are an ignorant person but there is this amazing website called Google, feel free to search through their vast storehouse of information and find evidence that im lying

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
i know you are an ignorant person but there is this amazing website called Google, feel free to search through their vast storehouse of information and find evidence that im lying

You're a 47 year old 5'1 dweeb who has to live out his fantasies via neoconservative talking points. Real life > Google

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
the reality is that yall are more concerned with union jobs then the development of the young black minds

the wages of sin is death, and the public school system deserves death for destroying black minds

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
First, it's not the worst of the worst.

Second, kids in charter schools have parents who were at least proactive enough to get their kids in the lottery. Parents who value education, more often than not, have kids who at least put forth effort in school.

I have nothing against charter schools, I just don't see them as a solution to anything, nor do I think charter schools are somehow superior to public schools. Put the same student population in either a charter or public school and you'd get the same results.

Same results? :francis:

Last edited:

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Charter schools do a lot of things. I went to a PRIVATE school my entire life And felt lucky for that. However, earlier this year I went and visited my teacher friend's Bay Area charter school. I was amazed and jealous at the stuff they were learning and the freedom these kids showed. It seems like charters make a great effort to give children tools that cultivate a passion, which leads to productive citizens. I was just amazed at how all of these kids carried themselves, even when they were just running outside playing. You realize, these kids aren't special kids plucked from the masses. These charter schools helped cultivate the traits that made the children special. Not just getting straight A's or not getting in trouble.

If these same kids were in the same school, but ran the way our public schools are ran, i have a feeling my visit to the school wouldn't have been as inspiring :manny:

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
When suburban charters were excluded, the smaller average gains registered in previous studies were suddenly magnified. In other words, charters seem to be remedying a particular defect of schools in the most challenged areas. Second, within those schools, gains were greatest among students—those in poverty, African-Americans, Hispanics, English-as-a-second-language (ESL) students—whose performance typically lags. Disadvantaged students gain the equivalent of months (or more) of extra learning for every year in a charter school.

Urban charter schools drill the basic skills that are on the state exams. Their kids start out so far behind that the gains look impressive. The white kids in the suburbs already know these skills so there are less gains to be made at suburban charters..

Hispanic students who were also ESL advanced in math at the same rate as white peers in traditional schools—erasing a seemingly intractable learning gap.

Translation: There was no narrowing of the achievement gap.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
the attrition rate is a bogus point, as long as the attrition rate of urban prep is lower than the dropout rate at schools with the same demographic then urban prep is doing a good job

in other words if 30% of urban prep students get kicked out but 50% of african american males are dropping out of regular public schools, then urban prep is doing a better job than regular public schools

and the same goes with the test figures, you have to compare the test scores of urban prep with the test scores of the same demographic not with the entire state, if its doing better than the same demographic then its doing better, if its not doing as well as the entire state then thats just something that needs to be worked on, that wouldnt be evidence of failure
:ehh::ehh: