Urban charter schools are succeeding—so get out of their way

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
easy it's the truth

its not true its completely false, the public education system has destroyed generations of black children

easy, just look at which one came first especially for the minority population you allegedly seek to protect

what?

so which one came first, in your mind?
yes, it is a part of it

yeah it is, so why are you trying to separate it
well shyt you could not even wait a paragraph to contradict yourself
what you just wrote is simply idiotic blather
not worth my time

how am i contradicting myself

im saying you address the socioeconomic system that works against black people by destroying one of the fundamental things that is used to destroy young black minds, which is the public school system

you on the other hand think the public school system is fine :mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Amazing what schools can accomplish when they can pick and choose their students.

Why do you think they can pick and choose their students?

I can't guarantee that it's how all charters worked, but I worked in one in Cali and it was straight lottery. The only "picking and choosing" was the self-selection that resulted from certain types of students not applying to the lottery. But it certainly wasn't legal for the school to pick and choose.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The debunking of miracle schools

Plenty of charter schools don't work well. Charter schools are a chance to try something different - just anyone making a charter doesn't mean it will succeed. But take a look at how horrific some of these school systems are - and I've worked and coached in them - and you'd know that it's well time to try ANYTHING different.

Last edited:

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Why do you think they can pick and choose their students?

I can't guarantee that it's how all charters worked, but I worked in one in Cali and it was straight lottery. The only "picking and choosing" was the self-selection that resulted from certain types of students not applying to the lottery. But it certainly wasn't legal for the school to pick and choose.
They can deny students enrollment if they don't meet certain academic standards. The kids can always return to their public school, so they aren't being denied education. Public schools don't have that option.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...rter-schools-andrew-broy-district-run-schools

As it continues to modify strict disciplinary policies in an effort to keep students in the classroom, Chicago Public Schools on Tuesday released data showing privately run charter schools expel students at a vastly higher rate than the rest of the district.

The data reveal that during the last school year, 307 students were kicked out of charter schools, which have a total enrollment of about 50,000. In district-run schools, there were 182 kids expelled out of a student body of more than 353,000.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

That means charters expelled 61 of every 10,000 students while the district-run schools expelled just 5 of every 10,000 students.
At three campuses in the Noble Network of Charter Schools, which has faced backlash over its disciplinary approach, anywhere from 2 percent to nearly 5 percent of students were expelled in the last school year.

At Urban Prep Academies, which annually boasts a nearly perfect college acceptance rate, more than 3 percent of the student body was expelled during the last school year at three campuses. At district-run schools, just over 0.05 percent of the student body was expelled last year.
So far this year, charter schools already have expelled 151 students, nearly three times the number at district-run schools.

Last edited:

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
They can deny students enrollment if they don't meet certain academic standards. The kids can always return to their public school, so they aren't being denied education. Public schools don't have that option.

first of all, there is no overall rule for charter schools nationwide, every charter school is different

second, that isnt true that they can deny a student based on academic standards, most schools use a lottery system

third if you want to make sure charter schools are not just picking the best students, the best way to do that is to eliminate the public schools altogther and just have charter schools

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
first of all, there is no overall rule for charter schools nationwide, every charter school is different

second, that isnt true that they can deny a student based on academic standards, most schools use a lottery system

third if you want to make sure charter schools are not just picking the best students, the best way to do that is to eliminate the public schools altogther and just have charter schools
It's a lot easier for Charter schools to kick kids out. That's a fact, breh. If you eliminate public schools you eliminate the safety net that allows charter school to kick kids out so easily, and the same problems will continue.

America, as a culture, doesn't value education. Until it does, there's no magic fix to our education problems.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...rter-schools-andrew-broy-district-run-schools

So in the worst examples out there, between 0.6% and 5% of kids were getting expelled. And those were the worst charters.

And we're talking about places where FIFTY PERCENT of the kids in the public schools aren't graduating.

If you think that expelling 1-3% of the students makes that huge a difference, then maybe those knuckleheads should have gone to other schools.

I don't know about your claim that they can expel for not meeting academic standards. Cite for that? I assure you that our charter never, ever did that. The only kids who got "encouraged to transfer" were ones who just didn't want to be with the program in any way - and that was maybe 1-2 kids a year.

I'm definitely not a fan of eliminating public schools. I think the only real long-term solution is to keep experimenting with charter schools, and to over time incorporate the most positive aspects of the successful charters back into regular public schools. But as long as charters aren't there, public schools don't have any incentive nor momentum to change a thing. And if you don't think they're failing inner-city communities now, you blind.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
It's a lot easier for Charter schools to kick kids out. That's a fact, breh. If you eliminate public schools you eliminate the safety net that allows charter school to kick kids out so easily, and the same problems will continue.

America, as a culture, doesn't value education. Until it does, there's no magic fix to our education problems.

again, all charter schools are different so i dont agree with your assertion, but lets say it was true, so what if its easier to get kids kicked out? why is that the central issue? kids get kicked out of public school also

and just like when you get kicked out of public school you have to find another school to go to, charter schools arent going to change that so i dont see why that is a central issue

Last edited: