Unpopular Video Game Opinions vol. 3000

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Monster Hunter as a series is great at curating party content. But solo-wise is kinda ehh compared to other hunting games.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Monster Hunter as a series is great at curating party content. But solo-wise is kinda ehh compared to other hunting games.

I can't get into Monster Hunter at all, I really don't see the appeal of that game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
There hasn’t been a truly fun mario game since 64. 3d mario games have been just as unremarkable as 3d sonic games, it’s just that nintendo fans will literally eat Mario’s ass if they could.

FF7 remake is a borderline turd and nomura will eventually go full kingdom hearts garbled time travel mult-dimensional nonsensical with it come time for the sequel. He prepared people well for the path of bs he’s about to take us on.

Most japanese developers can’t tell a relatable, concise, intelligible, and grown up story to save their lives. Everything eventually devolves into shonen/anime tropes even kojima. It’s like if all american media was based on ya literature.

JRPG is a dead genre, outside of persona keeping it alive. Pokemon might as well be sudoku

Most people dont care about how fun games are anymore, they care about being part of the zeitgeist of popular culture and opinion. If something is considered a “classic” they want to be able to talk about it at the water cooler. If it’s trash they want to be able to talk about that as well, thats why there’s no more grey area with media anymore, if it’s not controversial its not worth discussing.

Last edited:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I can't get into Monster Hunter at all, I really don't see the appeal of that game.

The appeal is hunting monster, getting their parts, and making more stuff to fight more monsters. Most games obscure this portion of a system. They'll do it over a narrative with less requirements to get gear. MH just gives it purely of that one mechanic. Anyway, I'm saying generally. This game is great to play with people. It's like a mini-raid. But solo it's a slow game.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
FF7 remake is a borderline turd and nomura will eventually go full kingdom hearts garbled time travel mult-dimensional nonsensical with it come time for the sequel. He prepared people well for the path of bs he’s about to take us on.

Most japanese developers can’t tell a relatable, concise, intelligible, and grown up story to save their lives. Everything eventually devolves into shonen/anime tropes even kojima. It’s like if all american media was based on ya literature.

JRPG is a dead genre, outside of persona keeping it alive. Pokemon might as well be sudoku

Most people dont care about how fun games are anymore, they care about being part of the zeitgeist of popular culture and opinion. If something is considered a “classic” they want to be able to talk about it at the water cooler. If it’s trash they want to be able to talk about that as well, thats why there’s no more grey area with media anymore, if it’s not controversial its not worth discussing.

I agree with the bolded. The rest is :gucci:.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Sounds like breh doesn't like Japanese developers. I got that sense after his jrpg thread but this confirms it.

I’ve grown to be indifferent about them over the last 5-10 years. I’m just getting too old for the way they prefer to tell stories and some of them have not evolved mechanically over the past decade.

There’s plenty of western game studios i don’t like either but thats not an unpopular opinion at this point. Japanese developers don’t seem to get as much shyt for constantly recycling ideas

Last edited:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Sounds like breh doesn't like Japanese developers. I got that sense after his jrpg thread but this confirms it.

JRPGs are far from a dead genre though. Persona is just now on the 5th game hitting the main stream. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales, Fire Emblem, and Disgaea been in the game. If anything Western RPGs are the genre that is dead.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
JRPGs are far from a dead genre though. Persona is just now on the 5th game hitting the main stream. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales, Fire Emblem, and Disgaea been in the game. If anything Western RPGs are the genre that is dead.

Sales say otherwise.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Sales say otherwise.

Sales of what? Cyberpunk is one wRPG. When is the last time an Elder Scrolls came out? A good Fallout game? Mass Effect and Dragon Age aint put out nothing in years. The last universally acclaimed WRPG to come out was Witcher 3 bruh.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Sales of what? Cyberpunk is one wRPG. When is the last time an Elder Scrolls came out? A good Fallout game? Mass Effect and Dragon Age aint put out nothing in years. The last universally acclaimed WRPG to come out was Witcher 3 bruh.

I feel like most western developed games are a waste of time on release. They are always buggy as fukk, and they always add in a bunch of DLC after the fact which you can buy for one price later in a definitive edition. If you buy a WRPG on release you are basically paying $60 to be a beta tester.

If you still like JRPG’s cool, the genre has been stagnant as hell for me, personally. I understand most people aren’t gonna agree which is why this is the unpopular opinion thread.
I liked persona 5, and Nier automata but the majority of them i find to be childish and bland af. For every persona and dragonquest theres about 10 mediocre fan-service-y weeb games.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I feel like most western developed games are a waste of time on release. They are always buggy as fukk, and they always add in a bunch of DLC after the fact which you can buy for one price later in a definitive edition. If you buy a WRPG on release you are basically paying $60 to be a beta tester.
WRPG's in general are always buggy messes.